Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

CHT wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 08:23
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 23:19
PapayaFan481 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:42

Yeah, I know. Still, you do have to wonder whether he's having any regrets now Mercedes finally seem to have the faster car... I'm sure the coffers would be just as null if he'd stayed.
Hamilton left Mercedes bc Toto wouldn't give him more than a 2 year deal going back to 2021.
Looking at the exodus of technical people at Ferrari and the pace of Merc in comparison to Ferrari now, I think Hamilton may be regretting signing for Ferrari.

Ultimately what LH want is to win that 8th WDC and he thought that going to Ferrari will give him a better chance.
This...I genuinely don't think Lewis is moving for money. He's already worth more than any other British sportsperson. He said himself that he's motivated by winning his 8th title.

djos

It’s from Murdoch’s bog-roll from down under, so a truck load of is salt required. Anyway, other outlets are writing similar stories, so here it is.

https://apple.news/AIHJo3VlQQwmpzp7QjKlDMw
One man (Carlos) holds the key to the 2025 Formula One grid, and there is speculation he is stalling to keep his options open in case Red Bull hit the eject button on Sergio Perez.

….

Planet.f1 reports there are clauses in both Perez and Ricciardo’s contracts that would potentially allow Red Bull to do a mid-season driver change.

That report cites sources who say Red Bull can sack Perez in the summer break if he is more than 100 points behind Verstappen after the Belgian Grand Prix. He is currently 137 points behind Verstappen.

It would see Ricciardo rewarded for his solid form with a return to Red Bull mid-season and make Perez a free agent for 2025

There is also the factor of young New Zealander Liam Lawson, who has been made to wait his turn as Red Bull’s reserve driver this year.

It appears increasingly likely Liam Lawson will step into Ricciardo’s seat at VISA Cash App RB when the Aussie’s contract ends at season’s end.
"In downforce we trust"

tinuva

My math's say it is near impossible if not impossible for checo to lower that point difference from 137 to below 100 in 2 races. No way you slice it, max will need to dnf both races and checo somehow get 2nd or better in both races.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

CHT
CHT

I know this may sound crazy, do you think it is possible that LH may end up staying with Merc and Sainz in Ferrari next year?
Considering the pecking order right now, there is really no reason for LH to leave Merc now if his desire is to win another WDC

Jurgen von Diaz

CHT wrote:I know this may sound crazy, do you think it is possible that LH may end up staying with Merc and Sainz in Ferrari next year?
Considering the pecking order right now, there is really no reason for LH to leave Merc now if his desire is to win another WDC
No chance. Has anyone ever done it in F1 history? There must be some serious sanctions from Ferrari if Lewis were to do that. Lewis is Ferrari's "property" at least '25-'26, so he wouldn't be allowed to drive Merc's car if Ferrari says so, and it would be a breach of contract.

wickedz50
wickedz50

tinuva wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 15:52
My math's say it is near impossible if not impossible for checo to lower that point difference from 137 to below 100 in 2 races. No way you slice it, max will need to dnf both races and checo somehow get 2nd or better in both races.

Poor Sergio Perez, wonder why he agreed to sign such contract clauses. Guy must be stressed and the pressure is visible from his performances.

Jurgen von Diaz

wickedz50 wrote:
tinuva wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 15:52

Poor Sergio Perez, wonder why he agreed to sign such contract clauses. Guy must be stressed and the pressure is visible from his performances.
"They'll give me the winning car." — Rubens Barrichello.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I don't understand what Red Bull hopes to achieve with the performance clause stipulation. Perez has shown that he consistently has long slumps of form every year. 2 good races in Spa and Hungary isn't going to change this. Why would it? :wtf:

Either commit to a driver who will show up for a handful of races a year, or don't, but they cannot pretend that 2-3 good races before the summer break means the next 10 races after the break will be good. It is like the stock market. Past performances do not guarantee future returns.

cheeRS
cheeRS

PapayaFan481 wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 08:36
CHT wrote:
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

Hamilton left Mercedes bc Toto wouldn't give him more than a 2 year deal going back to 2021.
Looking at the exodus of technical people at Ferrari and the pace of Merc in comparison to Ferrari now, I think Hamilton may be regretting signing for Ferrari.

Ultimately what LH want is to win that 8th WDC and he thought that going to Ferrari will give him a better chance.
This...I genuinely don't think Lewis is moving for money. He's already worth more than any other British sportsperson. He said himself that he's motivated by winning his 8th title.

Hamilton can win his 8th title... this year. :-k

Unlikely, but the season is only half over. What vindication after that 2021 farce that would be!
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

langedweil

cheeRS wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 19:44
PapayaFan481 wrote:
CHT wrote:

Unlikely, but the season is only half over. What vindication after that 2021 farce that would be!
Yeah, so is Stroll .. 😂😂
I wonder if he keeps on going in 2026 if he gets a non-performing car, possibly even worse than Lec is currently experiencing.
All in all I doubt he will ever get an eigth; if so, good for him. Calling it vindication is a bit sad however ...
HuggaWugga !

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 17:18
CHT wrote:I know this may sound crazy, do you think it is possible that LH may end up staying with Merc and Sainz in Ferrari next year?
No chance. Has anyone ever done it in F1 history? There must be some serious sanctions from Ferrari if Lewis were to do that. Lewis is Ferrari's "property" at least '25-'26, so he wouldn't be allowed to drive Merc's car if Ferrari says so, and it would be a breach of contract.
Didn’t Jenson Button regret signing when he was with Bar-Honda, than a court had to decide over it.

But who knows, maybe Lewis had a few performance clauses for Ferrari too.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:42

Yeah, I know. Still, you do have to wonder whether he's having any regrets now Mercedes finally seem to have the faster car... I'm sure the coffers would be just as null if he'd stayed.

If there is a season where drivers from a number of teams can win, then he has as much chance as any of the others if Ferrari is one of those teams. If it's a season where drivers from just 1 or 2 teams can win then he won't have a chance if Ferrari isn't one of those 1 or 2 teams. But that's the same as any other driver - even Max won't win titles if the car isn't competitive.

As to whether he thought Ferrari were the better option, only he knows why he's going.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cheeRS
cheeRS

langedweil wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 23:20
cheeRS wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 19:44
PapayaFan481 wrote:

Yeah, so is Stroll .. 😂😂
I wonder if he keeps on going in 2026 if he gets a non-performing car, possibly even worse than Lec is currently experiencing.
All in all I doubt he will ever get an eigth; if so, good for him. Calling it vindication is a bit sad however ...
Yeah, no. Stroll hasn't won a race and is nowhere near winning one. If you were around during 2009-2013, you'd know that all the Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, and half of the RBR drivers are in contention to win this year.

RE: vindicaton... yeah, maybe you're right. redemption would be a better word.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

dren

I get the feeling that Sainz will end up back at RB. He has to be waiting for something....
Honda!

djos

dren wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 03:37
I get the feeling that Sainz will end up back at RB. He has to be waiting for something....
If he keeps delaying things, he’ll end up with no choice but to drive a slow AF, James key designed Audi.
"In downforce we trust"