2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Honestly view the possibly aggressive curbs and the fact that it's a sprint weekend (hence limited setup time) as a positive. Anything that has a chance of throwing a spanner in the works for Verstappen is good for us. We of course have equal chance of being the ones that are affected negatively, but there's no chance at snatching a race win, which is what I'm really dreaming of, in a straight fight with the RBs. These possible issues should be seen imo as opportunities to capitalise on at a track that otherwise should suit us pretty well.

BMMR61

It seems an intriguing combination of conditions which could throw jeopardy into teams preparation as well as the races themselves. Only one free practice - in hottest daytime temperatures then into night qualifying at significantly lower ambient and surface temperatures - repeat scenario on Saturday, and add in the track limits risks, floor damage on kerbs, power units nearing the end of their cycles…… Of course RedBull could stumble but they will have the brightest minds and all available data, can McLaren really match that? Many feel this is one of the best chances to go wheel to wheel with Max, I think the paddock now generally accepts McLaren ought to be the closest challenger. FP1 will never before have so much importance.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Must admit that the kerbs worry me because Lando and Oscar use them a lot 😅
But if everything goes right, I expect us to be significantly closer in quali and race pace 🙏

Track conditions do seem similar to Barcelona

Qatar:

mwillems

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-nor ... l-interest

Lando saying he'd love to extend his Mclaren contract.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 08:20

I read this interview yesterday and was glad to read it. Lando still believes in McLaren. That's positive news for us. Hopefully next year the team will take a couple more steps forward and Lando will extend his contract with the team.

djos

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 11:29
mwillems wrote:

I read this interview yesterday and was glad to read it. Lando still believes in McLaren. That's positive news for us. Hopefully next year the team will take a couple more steps forward and Lando will extend his contract with the team.
McLaren’s progression this year has been exceptional. I’d have been shocked if he wanted to leave.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 11:35
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

McLaren’s progression this year has been exceptional. I’d have been shocked if he wanted to leave.
It's not so much about wanting to leave, but whether the year so far has been enough for him to believe they will give him a title shot and be the best place for him to drive. You'd imagine this is exactly what he does think, which is music to my ears.

I think we have the best driver line up in the sport right now, if not the best driver, but I think 2-3 years and that might change.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 11:41
djos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 11:35
LionsHeart wrote:

It's not so much about wanting to leave, but whether the year so far has been enough for him to believe they will give him a title shot and be the best place for him to drive. You'd imagine this is exactly what he does think, which is music to my ears.

I think we have the best driver line up in the sport right now, if not the best driver, but I think 2-3 years and that might change.
Agreed. I think McLaren have shown they are capable of being consistently up the front, and that has to be huge motivation when you are the lead driver like Lando is.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 11:06
I’m wondering of Oscar can beat Lando in qualifying again. Should make the race interesting as Lando clearly knows how to maximise his race pace, and Oscar still isn’t quite there yet.
He was helped by a new engine, which flattered his performance a bit. But you can see that over the last 6 races they look to be fairly equal in Qualy.

What Japan was able to make evident is that whilst his one lap pace is similar to Lando now, he has work to do on trying to make a smoother use of the tyres to reduce heat and wear.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 12:14
djos wrote:
I’m wondering of Oscar can beat Lando in qualifying again. Should make the race interesting as Lando clearly knows how to maximise his race pace, and Oscar still isn’t quite there yet.
He was helped by a new engine, which flattered his performance a bit. But you can see that over the last 6 races they look to be fairly equal in Qualy.

What Japan was able to make evident is that whilst his one lap pace is similar to Lando now, he has work to do on trying to make a smoother use of the tyres to reduce heat and wear.
Good point, I’d forgotten about the engine change. Still, it isn’t the first time he’s been quicker than Lando in a qually session.

The raw speed is definitely there - Lando is however the more complete driver. But not too surprising given that Oscar is a rookie.
"In downforce we trust"

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I support the words said above by comrades. I don't even have anything to add.

I want to see the current McLaren lineup for at least another 5-7 years. If the drivers will be friendly and respect each other, then let all 10 years ahead. :D

djos

Yep, they are a great pairing - I hope they can keep working together as a team at Maclaren for many years.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 12:18
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

Good point, I’d forgotten about the engine change. Still, it isn’t the first time he’s been quicker than Lando in a qually session.

The raw speed is definitely there - Lando is however the more complete driver. But not too surprising given that Oscar is a rookie.
I think in terms of the tyres, it just takes a little time and experience, everything else is where it needs to be though which is immense really.

Nope, it has been fairly even in Qualifying over the last 6 or 7 races and on that front you can't really put anything between them.

Edit: Adding this article, in which Stella suggests the delta between the two drivers was because of Lando's favourable pit strategy and not necessarily because of Piastris tyre wear, but I do think that is part of it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10527745/

Stella thinks that the pace difference between Norris and Piastri in the Japanese GP, at the stage of the race when the team had to intervene, was exaggerated by the excessive tyre degradation.

"In a race like this, every lap of tyre that you save, so if you pit one lap later than somebody else, you gain one tenth," added Stella.

"Lando at that stage pitted six laps later, so his car is automatically six tenths quicker than the other car."
Last edited by mwillems on 06 Oct 2023, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

Not to get people too excited, but Toyota are making a big deal of a sponsorship announcement on October 11th. The word sponsorship was used specifically, not partnership, and may not be F1. They refer to it as a specially high profile deal. Other motorsports announcements don't get trumpeted like this, so could be one to watch but may be nothing to do with us!

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 13:11
djos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 12:18
mwillems wrote:

I think in terms of the tyres, it just takes a little time and experience, everything else is where it needs to be though which is immense really.

Nope, it has been fairly even in Qualifying over the last 6 or 7 races and on that front you can't really put anything between them.

Edit: Adding this article, in which Stella suggests the delta between the two drivers was because of Lando's favourable pit strategy and not necessarily because of Piastris tyre wear, but I do think that is part of it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10527745/

Stella thinks that the pace difference between Norris and Piastri in the Japanese GP, at the stage of the race when the team had to intervene, was exaggerated by the excessive tyre degradation.

"In a race like this, every lap of tyre that you save, so if you pit one lap later than somebody else, you gain one tenth," added Stella.

"Lando at that stage pitted six laps later, so his car is automatically six tenths quicker than the other car."
Well, it's hard to put it down to tires. Lando was consistently faster than Oscar at all times. And the average pace per lap in the difference was 6-7 tenths during the entire race. So Stella is not telling us something. Once Oscar gains experience, he will go consistently faster and will be much closer to Lando.