2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 08:02
Juzh wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 21:59
Emag wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 20:36

Incorrect data from f1-tempo then. Having worked with the APIs myself, it happens more often than you think. The team feed literally said he had and used DRS.

Also, 328 was not achievable by any car without DRS.
Because you are so insistent I went and checked Piastri's onboard and there was no car in front on lap 47 for him to get DRS off of. So the team feed was wrong. And he was regularly reaching ~326 kmh on main straight, so 328 is not so unbelievable.
While Piastri did not have DRS it is a blatant lie to say there was no car in front. There was a 3 car DRS train (BOT, ZHO, OCO) ahead of him about 2 seconds ahead. That train definitely had a slipstream effect that helped Piastri achieve that top speed.

How helpful this is can be illustrated by Leclerc reaching even higher 331 km/h on a lap where he didn't have DRS to Piastri (when Piastri started to pull out the gap). And this looks to have harvesting at the end (check Perez speed trace without harvesting when he wanted to catch LEC)
https://i.imgur.com/Vr7DNpP.png

Even Perez reached 328 km/h without DRS behind LEC and PIA.
https://i.imgur.com/mvOFFu6.png
"blatant lie" lol calm down. I didnt say there isnt any car ahead, I just said there isnt any car close enough to get DRS. I checked it quickly and didnt look particularly hard so I missed that train in the far distance.

search

deadhead wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 00:26
Hopefully track can stay dry for Q and Race ...
usually it only rains in the afternoon and dries up for the late sessions. I think 2022 has been the only exception in those ~15 years of racing here?

ScuderiaLeo

search wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 10:53

usually it only rains in the afternoon and dries up for the late sessions. I think 2022 has been the only exception in those ~15 years of racing here?
The current forecast doesn't have rain scheduled for the evening. At most, very scattered thunderstorms, but the bulk of it is during the daytime.

Of course it's Singapore so it could change quickly, but there's a reason why the forecast is rainy every year yet it's rarely a wet race...

The track might be damp though, especially during the earlier FPs.

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 10:13

"blatant lie" lol calm down. I didnt say there isnt any car ahead, I just said there isnt any car close enough to get DRS. I checked it quickly and didnt look particularly hard so I missed that train in the far distance.
During qualifying Charles reached 339 for his pole lap, Piastri 336.
Both had DRS open obviously.

During the race Piastri in clear air tends to have 323, Charles 320.
Crucial swing in drag when DRS is "closed".

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Sevach wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 11:23
Juzh wrote:

Leclerc was saying that McLaren was lower on downforce and that he was able to catch them up in the twisty sections but couldn't catch up on the straight. Also looking at the videos, the biggest problem for Leclerc was traction out of T16 where Piastri would always increase his advantage and then immediately start to lose ground against Leclerc.

McLaren having lower downforce rear wing easily explains why they didn't gain a lot when DRS is open.

Sevach
Sevach

I'm sure that's the only reason why it swings in the opposite direction when it's closed...

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 11:34
Sevach wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Leclerc was saying that McLaren was lower on downforce and that he was able to catch them up in the twisty sections but couldn't catch up on the straight. Also looking at the videos, the biggest problem for Leclerc was traction out of T16 where Piastri would always increase his advantage and then immediately start to lose ground against Leclerc.

McLaren having lower downforce rear wing easily explains why they didn't gain a lot when DRS is open.
Agreed.
People are inferring things without looking at the whole data set, which then leads to ascribing huge gains to it. I just don’t think that’s the case here.

There is obviously a benefit to that wing otherwise they wouldn’t have designed it!

But it remains to be seen how much of an advantage this wing is. Also it will not see much action on other circuits because it’s a low DF wing. You don’t want unpredictable variable load in high speed corners. It’s quite a track specific wing

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 11:34
Sevach wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Because it was clearly a less loaded wing, but people were too focused on the "mini DRS" trick, which apparently has been there for quite a while, it just recently got noticed by the general public.

Of course, there must have been some benefit to it, but the reason why McLaren was fast in the straight line was mostly because they brought a lower DF package in Baku and it was reflected in laptime as well. Leclerc was consistently faster in S2 both in quali and in the race.

Back in Monza, they used the same wing but by Monza standards, this wing is considered high downforce. And again, it was reflected in laptime. They had lower top speed but were faster through the corners. Leclerc was losing through lesmos and ascari, but was gaining back in the straights. He managed to prolong tire life, because his laptime was coming from performance in the straights and he could afford to not push hard in the corners and use tires up like McLaren was forced to.

Farnborough
Farnborough

It shows how finely balanced the close cars are, with different emphasis in overall load choice making that "sweet & sour" effect play put around the circuit.

It was a fascinating race from these two front runners, easy to pinpoint shifts in advantage from outside the car and post race analysis. Much harder for driver particularly, and team to marshall their thoughts on strategic moves on the fly.

Magically good to watch the two of them wringing out the traction from each chassis in trying to get positive outcome throughout the lap.

Emag
Emag

Sevach wrote:
Juzh wrote:

FYI, it's exactly what you would expect to happen. It's not like the mini DRS is doing the heavy lifting.

Bigger flap = More downforce = Less speed with DRS closed but more gained when DRS opened
Opposite for smaller flap.

bluechris

I am a little pissed if I can express my feelings after the last days with the wings saga ... whenever Ferrari does a so-called "Innovation", the FIA intervenes swiftly, no matter how many races have happened, and we are later destroyed trying to invent the wheel again. For the rest teams, it is business as usual.

Vanja #66

Emag wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 13:06
FYI, it's exactly what you would expect to happen. It's not like the mini DRS is doing the heavy lifting.

Bigger flap = More downforce = Less speed with DRS closed but more gained when DRS opened
Opposite for smaller flap.
RB, McL and Ferrari flaps are basically the same size though.

viewtopic.php?p=1234625#p1234625

McLaren is pushing the limit and they have the right to do so. Obviously, FIA allowed it and it wasn't allowed before. Why is it allowed now is a question for FIA, since no other team is doing it obviously no team got the memo.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dialtone
dialtone

Flexy floor? To jail with you. TD39 and have 3-4 races to replace an entire floor.

Flex both wings and open drs on straight? Oh poor poor mcl, no way they can ever fix that with 7 races left in the season.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

dialtone wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 14:14
Flexy floor? To jail with you. TD39 and have 3-4 races to replace an entire floor.

Flex both wings and open drs on straight? Oh poor poor mcl, no way they can ever fix that with 7 races left in the season.
If we dont hear direct complaints regarding this come Thursday, it is likely because both Ferrari and Redbull have something similar in the works coming out very soon (and they see a meaningful improvement from it). It makes 0 sense otherwise.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 13:37

RB, McL and Ferrari flaps are basically the same size though.
But the incline is vastly different, isn't it ? (the reference 'dots' show it) McLaren's flap's outboard bottom end is 'peeking up' from the main plane's high pressure (local area) surface ; while the flap's outboard top end (hinge) has local load high pressure => at high speed it's like a clockwise/anti-clockwise (depending which side-view of the wing we take) torque is acting on the hinge, even when DRS is disabled => it 'lifts'. That's clever.
Ferrari and Redbull have gone for more upright flap, where the outboard bottom of the flap is almost very near the mainplane high pressure surface ; and crucially, severe edge vortex generating sharp ends on the flap outboard support, thus keeping their flap 'well shut' when no DRS is there. McLaren low DF wing is a hybrid of the Ferrari/Redbull style and Mercedes style low DF wings, with much more 'benign' flap outboard supports.