McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Sevach wrote: Is the engine cover new or my eyes are tricking me?
No it's new as is the bodywork around the exhausts. Much tighter now.

via techF1LES

Pup
Pup

I was going to say it looked like they'd added the hump rather than reduce the bodywork, though it's hard to tell from the angle. Since they've moved the exhaust outlet forward, it's possible that the rerouting of the exhaust required the hump.
Last edited by Pup on 13 Apr 2013, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

The bodywork around where the engine is placed is indeed much tighter.

Also it seems like the exhaust has been bought a bit forward
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pup
Pup

You beat me to my edit. :lol:

ringo

Yes as suspected, i figured tha tailpipe was a bit to low and in the way of the sidepod flow.
However this is just a small piece of the puzzle. The car is magnificent in turn 7 according to Martin Brundle but it's not good anywhere else. They need a FRIC suspension right about now, but i dont even think FRIC would work if the suspension is basically nonexistent. Mclaren seem to be so stiff the suspension is the tyres themselves. haha.
For Sure!!

Drewd11
Drewd11

P3: Button wants a ride height change.
27 minutes left.
What do you think the odds are that he gets out again this session?

I stand by my initial view that the main problem on the Mclaren is that they cant easily change front suspension setup because of the difficulties with making pull-rod front suspension adjustments.
Everyone who says front wing should be first and foremost in their research department is right, but not by anything but chance. They need to change that nose-cone immediately to get the turning vanes off the monocoque and onto the nose-cone to make suspension changes happen faster. My bet? Button wont get out for another 15-20 minutes, and Checo had to drastically change his setup for q3 because they don't have the capacity to get a suspension change during a session and still get out before the end of the session.
EDIT: I stand corrected, it only took 13 minutes. Having said that, Alonso had a torsion bar change that took 3 minutes.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Drewd11 wrote:P3: Button wants a ride height change.
27 minutes left.
What do you think the odds are that he gets out again this session?

I stand by my initial view that the main problem on the Mclaren is that they cant easily change front suspension setup because of the difficulties with making pull-rod front suspension adjustments.
Everyone who says front wing should be first and foremost in their research department is right, but not by anything but chance. They need to change that nose-cone immediately to get the turning vanes off the monocoque and onto the nose-cone to make suspension changes happen faster. My bet? Button wont get out for another 15-20 minutes, and Checo had to drastically change his setup for q3 because they don't have the capacity to get a suspension change during a session and still get out before the end of the session.
EDIT: I stand corrected, it only took 13 minutes. Having said that, Alonso had a torsion bar change that took 3 minutes.
Torsion bars slot in and out. Ride height can be done via an adjuster on the push/pull rod itself.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Pup
Pup

Drewd11 wrote:They need to change that nose-cone immediately to get the turning vanes off the monocoque and onto the nose-cone to make suspension changes happen faster.
The turning vanes are already on the nose cone. They made the change at the last Barcelona test, I believe.

ringo

The damping is a problem too. Car looks like it has a lot of vibration, which will mess with the transients of the aerodynamics.
Hence the pitch sensitivity. Imagine the down-force levels fluttering up and down? Should be destabilizing for the driver.
For Sure!!

kalinka
kalinka

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Sevach wrote: Is the engine cover new or my eyes are tricking me?
No it's new as is the bodywork around the exhausts. Much tighter now.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHqz7zICEAE5vdD.jpg
via techF1LES
It's only the view-angle or they changed the upper suspension pick-up point position ?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

kalinka wrote:
It's only the view-angle or they changed the upper suspension pick-up point position ?
It's definitely not the viewing angle, the sidepods have been reshaped as noted by Scarbs, Gary Anderson & the official F1 site(Piola).

Scarbs via AutoSport

The MP4-28 featured substantially revised sidepods. The car also appeared to test some parts briefly seen in Malaysia and a new front ride height set-up.

In order to gain a more powerful Coanda effect from the exhausts sealing the diffuser, the sidepods have been reshaped. The top surface now sweeps down more steeply. This lower sidepod line requires a large bulge to clear the engine and exhausts.

The exhaust outlet also appears to have been brought forward. This should have the effect of making the diffuser less sensitive to the car being on or off throttle.

Link

F1.com

To reduce the pitch sensitivity problem with their car, in China McLaren have cut sections from the sides of the rear diffuser. This may reduce the ultimate amount of downforce available, but brings improved driveability for Button and Perez. This modification is accompanied by a totally new sidepod design around the exhaust area.
Link

And GA mentioned the new sidepods in practice.

Lycoming
Lycoming

ringo wrote: Imagine the down-force levels fluttering up and down? Should be destabilizing for the driver.
Possibly worse for the tires.

Pup
Pup

I don't think the suspension has changed though.
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:This may reduce the ultimate amount of downforce available, but brings improved driveability for Button and Perez.
Improved, perhaps - but still doing its best porpoise imitation...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52XGpW-1SRc[/youtube]

wesley123
wesley123

Wow :shock:

That car is wobbling all around, and note how there is no suspension movement at all.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

@Pup: there's a fair bit of flex in the tea tray leading edge too by the look of it in that slow-mo video
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.