2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

stan_french wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 11:36
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 06:06
diffuser wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 17:47
Not sure why some people are surprised. As I said before, Rossi was hired in January 2021 to run Alpine. It's only natural that he's gonna hire his own people.

If he bring Otmar and Austrian water sponsor BWT, that will give an influx of Money. It will likely increase Alpine's budget right to the CAP edge, I hope.

Win/Win as far as I'm concerned.
Alpine (Renault) were actually already operating above the current budget cap, they were the 4th team with the largest budget as of 2 seasons ago… I don’t think meeting the budget cap was an issue.
Didn't budkowski say in december that alpine wasn't actually operating at the budget cap?
In 2018 Renault’s budget was reported to be 190 million
In 2019 Renault’s budget was reported to be 210 million
For the 2020 season, the Renault budget was reported to be 272 million

It would be very surprising if in 2021 they were operating way below the budget cap, but historically the team has been well funded and would be surprising if in fact they aren’t at the budget cap already.

AtlasZX

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 17:22
diffuser wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 14:56
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 06:18

I disagree that Prost shouldn’t have answered those questions… If as stated, he declined to renew his contract in December and it was agreed that it would be communicated jointly at a certain date, the fact that it was leaked doesn’t speak well for Rossi and “his team”, that negotiating (and outcome) with Prost was and should have been known to be a very small circle of people, if it got leaked it was on purpose… There was no reason for it… Prost is just reacting to it and he is in within his right to do so.

Even though I agree that Rossi would eventually bring his own team to manage Alpine, a good leader will listen to the people in place, even if you disagree with them or outright don’t like them… Excluding someone in the position that Prost had from conversations and (if true) not even having manners to say good morning, not only shows lacks of respect and manners, but also a narcissistic and arrogant position… Those type of actions are experienced by the rest of the team and that doesn’t create a positive culture in within the Team.

Zak also made several changes in McLaren when he joined, but he managed those changes in a way that not only respected those that left, it also had a positive impact on the team’s culture, morale and motivation.
Who will hire Prost now that he's gone off and shot off his mouth like that? You don't see Budkowski running off his mouth?

As far as the "the good morning" eta stuff. We only have Prost's opinion on that. As far as we know, everyone at Alpine might have thrown a party when they found out Prost wasn't coming back.

I'm pretty sure that whatever Prost had to say, the Renault board have heard from him. They haven't acted on it, so, they've dismissed him...Now he didn't accept the contract and he's all upset cause there wasn't a joint release that he wasn't returning? If he was a big lover of Alpine, what's he trying to change by going to the media?

At the end of the day, none of this matters if they win on track.

There was an interview with Budkowski in 2021 where he said they were near the cap but not at it yet.
Just giving a different perspective to the situation… We both are making a ton of assumptions on this since we are not part of what happens internally… Nevertheless, leaking Prost departure is in fact at a minimum clumsy and most probably deliberate.

In regards to Prost having a hard time to “find a job” after “speaking out”, I think is a non-issue for him… He is an ex-F1 driver, he was part of the Renault Team in a very big part based on nostalgia and at his age I’m sure he isn’t actively looking for a job… He isn’t the up and comer in F1, he is 66 years old… If anything, the fact that he didn’t accept a new contract shows that he doesn’t “need” a job.
Who would hire this guy after he said the car of his team drives like a semi-truck?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

AtlasZX wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 17:31
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Who will hire Prost now that he's gone off and shot off his mouth like that? You don't see Budkowski running off his mouth?

As far as the "the good morning" eta stuff. We only have Prost's opinion on that. As far as we know, everyone at Alpine might have thrown a party when they found out Prost wasn't coming back.

I'm pretty sure that whatever Prost had to say, the Renault board have heard from him. They haven't acted on it, so, they've dismissed him...Now he didn't accept the contract and he's all upset cause there wasn't a joint release that he wasn't returning? If he was a big lover of Alpine, what's he trying to change by going to the media?

There was an interview with Budkowski in 2021 where he said they were near the cap but not at it yet.
Just giving a different perspective to the situation… We both are making a ton of assumptions on this since we are not part of what happens internally… Nevertheless, leaking Prost departure is in fact at a minimum clumsy and most probably deliberate.

In regards to Prost having a hard time to “find a job” after “speaking out”, I think is a non-issue for him… He is an ex-F1 driver, he was part of the Renault Team in a very big part based on nostalgia and at his age I’m sure he isn’t actively looking for a job… He isn’t the up and comer in F1, he is 66 years old… If anything, the fact that he didn’t accept a new contract shows that he doesn’t “need” a job.
Who would hire this guy after he said the car of his team drives like a semi-truck?
Someone that wants a guy that will call like it is and won’t sugar coat things?

Jolle
Jolle

AtlasZX wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

After that incident (which was a comment by the way because his steering failed) he was employed by Williams, McLaren, DAMS and Renault/Alpine and asked to join Schumacher for the 1996 season.

JPower
JPower

AtlasZX wrote:

You should listen to "Bring Back V10's" to learn why that quote is extremely misleading.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 06:18

I disagree that Prost shouldn’t have answered those questions… If as stated, he declined to renew his contract in December and it was agreed that it would be communicated jointly at a certain date, the fact that it was leaked doesn’t speak well for Rossi and “his team”, that negotiating (and outcome) with Prost was and should have been known to be a very small circle of people, if it got leaked it was on purpose… There was no reason for it… Prost is just reacting to it and he is in within his right to do so.

Even though I agree that Rossi would eventually bring his own team to manage Alpine, a good leader will listen to the people in place, even if you disagree with them or outright don’t like them… Excluding someone in the position that Prost had from conversations and (if true) not even having manners to say good morning, not only shows lacks of respect and manners, but also a narcissistic and arrogant position… Those type of actions are experienced by the rest of the team and that doesn’t create a positive culture in within the Team.

Zak also made several changes in McLaren when he joined, but he managed those changes in a way that not only respected those that left, it also had a positive impact on the team’s culture, morale and motivation.

agreed.

diffuser

diffuser

I'd like to announce that Prost is leaving ...

LOL

diffuser

ringo

Prost seems to be insinuating that the Renault Boss wants full and complete control and all the spotlight. I don't blame him for that.
The guy identified who he needs to get rid of to bring a fresh and winning approach to the team.
Prost is well respected, but he is old and may lack certain energy and awareness that a younger leader may have. He may have also been overstepping his boundaries and intercepting authority. who knows? But clearly his energy is no longer welcome there. And i think its for the better. Maybe his pay can pay Ocon.

I'm starting to think that Alonso had a say in dumping Prost too. lol.
Alonso is very political and I never really heard him say anything complementary of Prost or even aknowledged Prosts existence. Maybe he felt there can be only one "f1 legend" in his team and it must be him.
For Sure!!

diffuser

ringo wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 01:04
Prost seems to be insinuating that the Renault Boss wants full and complete control and all the spotlight. I don't blame him for that.
The guy identified who he needs to get rid of to bring a fresh and winning approach to the team.
Prost is well respected, but he is old and may lack certain energy and awareness that a younger leader may have. He may have also been overstepping his boundaries and intercepting authority. who knows? But clearly his energy is no longer welcome there. And i think its for the better. Maybe his pay can pay Ocon.

Alonso is very political and I never really heard him say anything complementary of Prost or even acknowledged Prost's existence. Maybe he felt there can be only one "f1 legend" in his team and it must be him.
To me Prost is a nothing burger, let's move on. At the end of the day Rossi will be judged by how the car performs over the next 4 - 5 years. Above all, let's not drag Alonso into it. Alonso has kept his nose pretty clean since his return.

peewon

ringo wrote:

Alonso is very political and I never really heard him say anything complementary of Prost or even aknowledged Prosts existence. Maybe he felt there can be only one "f1 legend" in his team and it must be him.
Prost was asked specifically on IG about Alonso with regards to his exit "Is it because Alonso is starting to destroy everything?"

Prost reply was: "Not at all, he's the best and very proper"

Rossi's impact cant be judged for 4-5 years. The 2022 car and the new PU have been worked on for quite a while so the results of that, good or bad, involve the contributions of those who've been let go, from Cyril, Taffin, Budkowski and maybe even Prost to some extent.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

peewon wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 04:27
ringo wrote:

Prost was asked specifically on IG about Alonso with regards to his exit "Is it because Alonso is starting to destroy everything?"

https://i.redd.it/wj1uxn8lwhc81.jpg

Rossi's impact cant be judged for 4-5 years. The 2022 car and the new PU have been worked on for quite a while so the results of that, good or bad, involve the contributions of those who've been let go, from Cyril, Taffin, Budkowski and maybe even Prost to some extent.
So… If the 2022 Alpine ends up been a great car… Was it a mistake to let go those that were involved with it?

peewon

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 06:16
peewon wrote:
ringo wrote:

So… If the 2022 Alpine ends up been a great car… Was it a mistake to let go those that were involved with it?
I dont think you can say definitively based on 2022 alone. If 2022 is good, and then they start to regress again after couple of seasons, then there is a stronger case that people who left probably made a significant difference. So far, they have plateaued for 3 years now but the overall structure was highly unstable with rumors about Renault wanting to pull out all together. Theses things cannot be parsed so easily. Gordon Murray and Steve Nichols are still fighting over who deserved the credit for MP4/4.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 06:16
peewon wrote:
ringo wrote:

That's a very good question. These guys are managers...so what do they do aside from managing people? They don't design anything.