2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I guess the Honda hype is already over?

etusch

Sayeman wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:20
McMika98 wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:14
Deja vu. Wretched weekend after a promising pre season. Guess Mclaren decision has been vindicated.
Engine trouble in first race without even pushing it to the limits. Damm. So Wazari spec 4.0 is still unreliable and slow. They could not even keep up with the Saubers. Despite the massive inlet and space for cooling the engine does not fail to fail.

Honda will most likely pull out next year now. Laughing stock.
If they have even a little of dignity, they should pull out. Even I am feeling embarrassed.
Come on guys where is dignity in escaping? They must work harder. They are aware of situation more than us and big probibly this is why they have two rookies

MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM

You are illusive, Honda powered TR just scored a DNF and a last place, McLaren finished 5th.

Talisman
Talisman

Who cares about McLaren?

I’d like to know what happened to Hartley, his pace suggested he was nursing a problem.

Shame for Gasly, again would like to know more about his problem. There aren’t many PU failures that allow the driver to get back to the pits under their own power. Something working loose perhaps rather than a full on failure?

Postmoe

I think the overall concept is good, it may be just the combination of a late switch and a somehow draggy aero philosophy, that could be easily overcome with three or four times more air to the airbox.

Now seriously, this bad result doesn’t mean anything yet

McMika98
McMika98

Dont want to sound negative but cant help. Absolutely deflating. 4th year and using the spec developed from last year and the engine blows up after 15laps. Its just pathetic. Its the same cycle every year.
The new combustion process touted will be pushed back futher, the season is over before it started. Gap to Sauber will prolly increase as the season progressses.
A good investor knows when to count losses and pull out then face further humilation and embarrassment.

PinkFloydPulse

Sayeman wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:52
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:46
etusch wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:36
I don't know what makes Mclaren fans happy. They caused a train and without dnfs they would stuck 10-11. Not much better than they what they do with Honda PU
Don't be such a sore looser... Even 10-11 would be better with Renault than a DNF and last with a Honda. You Honda fans should really stop bashing around and admit that Honda still has problems. Hope they solve them, but if we look at the past 3 years does not seem likely...
Will you Mclaren fans stop coming here and stir things up?
The same way Honda fans stir things up on other threads? I don't think I'm doing that, I'm just stating that Honda still has issues that need to be solved, is that fact or fiction?
Back on track, are there real information about the failure? Some say it may not be the engine that failed.
Team Fernando!

MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM

draggy aero philosophy... please stop this argument, not a day passed by in the last 3 years without McLaren being accused of this non-sense.
This "draggy" Toro Rosso was doing well enough a year ago when it had two experienced drivers and a capable PU.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

As I hinted at earlier, Honda can't be blamed for everything. Here's a laundry list of items that need to be addressed for the remainder of the season.
  • Tyre wear. Quite frankly, this is the biggest cause for concern. The interface of tyre-to-tarmac, as a function of power delivery, chassis performance and driver management, has been poor. Honda could deliver the most powerful engine and this car would go backwards in the races like the Mercedes of 2010/2011/2012.
  • Fuel efficiency. I think the 1-lap power is likelier to approximate the performance of the other manufacturers much sooner than we think. But the relative efficiency of the engine, including the hybrid components, is a much more difficult problem to solve. Having to fuel save, or simply run heavier than the other cars, will absolute kill their race pace.
  • Drivers. I'm not convinced by either of these guys, but especially Hartley. I know they're inexperienced, but Toro Rosso are suffering massively this year by not having someone as accomplished as Sainz in the car.
  • Integration issues. We know the chassis isn't optimised, and the engine isn't either. This will need to be improved as the season progresses, but how much money and manpower is being thrown at the problem especially from the TR side?
  • Reliability. I've put this last as I consider it the least important component. Quite frankly, I'd far rather see the Honda engine grenading itself every other race if it meant improving power output and efficiency more quickly. This team were always going to be toward the back of the grid anyway, so there is little to be lost by installing more power units. However, I think Honda have been burned by the previous years with McLaren, and they will have hedged their development between performance and reliability.
While it isn't doom and gloom, it certainly could be rosier.

They're at least involved in a race with someone, namely Sauber, and Williams are not far away (oh, Williams!). There are numerous avenues of potential improvement, and I would anticipate their rate of development to be higher than most other teams, considering the variety of sources from which improvements can be generated.

However, it has to be acknowledged that they are a long way from being truly competitive - both Honda and Toro Rosso - and I don't think this was the showing that Red Bull were hoping for.

PinkFloydPulse

Hope STR get the act together and start performing, they did good last year, would be a shame they go backwards.
Last edited by Steven on 25 Mar 2018, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed McLaren comments
Team Fernando!

bauc

As per Ted's Noteboook (currently watching it live) STR confirmed it was a HONDA engine failure
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Revs84
Revs84

bauc wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 10:12
As per Ted's Noteboook (currently watching it live) STR confirmed it was a HONDA engine failure
Honda said it was a PU related issue, which is slightly different than an engine failure. We'll have to wait and see. I sure hope it's nothing major that can throw the team off their targets and morale.

cyro_666
cyro_666

McMika98 wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:50
Dont want to sound negative but cant help. Absolutely deflating. 4th year and using the spec developed from last year and the engine blows up after 15laps. Its just pathetic. Its the same cycle every year.
The new combustion process touted will be pushed back futher, the season is over before it started. Gap to Sauber will prolly increase as the season progressses.
A good investor knows when to count losses and pull out then face further humilation and embarrassment.
Posted this on reddit already, but here goes:

It's hilarious how all the "fans" are suddenly saying Honda should pull out from the sport. That's basically being a bad fan and unable to admit being wrong. I'm a Honda fan, I can admit I was wrong, thought Honda would be much better in the beginning of this season. The only real time to stop being a fan is when Honda really does pull from F1.

Giving up is bad, not trying and failing. As long as you try, you're a fighter. Kinda hoped McLaren fans would know this and spare us the mocking (which is now on the level of REEEE), despite STRs past tweets. Anyways, a bad day, but don't stop trying.

Sieper

What happened? All in all a dissapointing performance. Let’s hope STR and Honda can turn this around.

sn809
sn809

etusch wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:36
I don't know what makes Mclaren fans happy. They caused a train and without dnfs they would stuck 10-11. Not much better than they what they do with Honda PU
Angry yes but not dissappointed. Lets see Bahrain.Good start by Gasly till he had engine problems. The car made it back to pits without leaking everywhere, so probably something electrical.
Hartly nursed iit home

Mclaren did very well. They were there to take the points when available.
Lets see what Honda/TR say after analysing Engine.
They should bring in the other faster spec now and forget reliability as their reliability is not really reliable lol.