Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Matt2725
Matt2725

Re: Mercedes W15

Holm86 wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 01:25
So Mercedes problems have always been suspension tuning, and not aero.

So back to zeropods for 2025?? :lol:
They were always quite clear that the zeropod was a red herring.

hollus

A gentle reminder to keep pole positions and being faster than other teams out of the car threads. Some posts have been deleted. Use the team threads for winning and losing, thanks. As an extra reminder, same goes for liveries, soft carbon control units, etc.
Only hardware and its interpretation in the car threads. Let's keep them focused.

extra note: This year's car. For past years, future years, team thread, please.
Rivals, not enemies.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Matt2725 wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 15:14
Holm86 wrote:

That was just face saving, even they weren't at that point equipped to offer such judgement else they'd have fixed it then !

Gestation of this W15 started in Monaco last year with modification to front suspension and movement of aero away from their failed concept.

Interesting that so many were critical of LH about driver position etc, this chassis appears to be adherent to his view on that.

It can be seen with this current W15 iteration that the base design being ultimately "correct" then gives a compounding development curve, with each step based on good foundation, rather than trying to cancel out something catastrophic in core design intent.

K1Plus
K1Plus

Farnborough wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 21:40
Matt2725 wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 15:14
Holm86 wrote:

That was just face saving, even they weren't at that point equipped to offer such judgement else they'd have fixed it then !

Gestation of this W15 started in Monaco last year with modification to front suspension and movement of aero away from their failed concept.

Interesting that so many were critical of LH about driver position etc, this chassis appears to be adherent to his view on that.

It can be seen with this current W15 iteration that the base design being ultimately "correct" then gives a compounding development curve, with each step based on good foundation, rather than trying to cancel out something catastrophic in core design intent.
The thing with Mercedes usually, ever since 2014 up until now it's either been go hard or go home. They are always pushing the most extreme concepts. This year the W15 seemed like a good concept at the start but the front wing and some suspension elements caused it to not perform well. As soon as they changed that if feels like a whole new car.

deadhead

Holm86 wrote:

I think them loosing their “FRIC” system was the biggest blow with this generation. I always thought that the W13 was designed with that in mind and when it wasn’t there the whole thing fell apart.

atanatizante

The new spring&damper ansamble unit:

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

Doesn't look like the hump is for suspension space but for a sensor assembly of some sort?

Wait a second got my perspective wrong..

There is a silver hammer-like object behind the antennae. This probably swings back and forth. Could be a mass damper if mass dampers are allowed...

[Mercury suspension, is that you?]
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Lasssept

PlatinumZealot

Ferrari-esque.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

atanatizante

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jul 2024, 17:32
Ferrari-esque.
I`m struggling to find the brake duct air intake ...

On another note could be that the brake air exhaust is strategically placed near the rear wing endplate? The reason/reasons could be for lowering the bounder layer or just to induce a low pressure both on the beam wing and further to the diffuser?
Jesus

Farnborough
Farnborough

Brake duct intake is the shroud running forward around the tyre sidewall curtailing at the edge where wall meets tread area.

They use it just one sided with the other being the tyre itself.

atanatizante

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jul 2024, 14:38
Doesn't look like the hump is for suspension space but for a sensor assembly of some sort?

Wait a second got my perspective wrong..

There is a silver hammer-like object behind the antennae. This probably swings back and forth. Could be a mass damper if mass dampers are allowed...

[Mercury suspension, is that you?]
Could they have vertical springs/damper systems under both axles, in order to slow down bouncing and dive&squat situations, or do they act as an inertial mass damper which is not allowed??
Jesus

Holm86

To me it looks a bit like this variable damper

Not sure if such a system would be legal or seen as active suspension

https://www.rtri.or.jp/eng/rd/seika/200 ... e_E01.html

Piscine
Piscine

From what photos I have seen of the 'third element' Mercedes are using, it appears to be a Belleville spring washer heave damper, which I believe is wider than we might expect (hence the nose hump vanity panel) as the voids between the washers are filled with a damping fluid and get a shock absorber out of the spring at the same time.

They likely they machine a grove at the edge of the Bellville washer and put an O-ring in it to retain the damping fluid.
The edge of the Bellville washer must touch to get linear spring action, direct metal contact required, followed by a seal (likely O-ring) close enough that pressurized fluid does not leak.

What we don't know is if this solution is used at the front and rear.

ismail1991
ismail1991

deadhead wrote:
13 Jul 2024, 14:43
Holm86 wrote:

I think them loosing their “FRIC” system was the biggest blow with this generation. I always thought that the W13 was designed with that in mind and when it wasn’t there the whole thing fell apart.
but fric was banned earlier than that