2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

What do we think about engines? My expectation had always been that Charles might need to take a grid penalty before EOY but Carlos is probably ok (depending on what exactly his - thankfully solvable - issue was today)

deadhead

f1316 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 01:10
Charles is a lot closer to Lando in the WDC than Lando is to Max. Not that I care about 2nd place in either championship too much (2nd or 3rd is pretty much the same), but just puts into perspective the idea of Lando going for the WDC - he may not even get 2nd tbh.
I don't quite understand how NOR is not closer to VER considering that he has been in the fastest car since Miami. Today was the first time since Miami where I can genuinely say that NOR wasn't driving the fastest machine out there.

I honestly believe that if LEC was given the opportunity NOR has had this year he would win.

NOR still has a very real chance of winning the WDC, it all depends on how the RB20 copes with the upcoming tracks.

dialtone
dialtone

deadhead wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 03:02
f1316 wrote:
Charles is a lot closer to Lando in the WDC than Lando is to Max. Not that I care about 2nd place in either championship too much (2nd or 3rd is pretty much the same), but just puts into perspective the idea of Lando going for the WDC - he may not even get 2nd tbh.
I don't quite understand how NOR is not closer to VER considering that he has been in the fastest car since Miami. Today was the first time since Miami where I can genuinely say that NOR wasn't driving the fastest machine out there.

I honestly believe that if LEC was given the opportunity NOR has had this year he would win.

NOR still has a very real chance of winning the WDC, it all depends on how the RB20 copes with the upcoming tracks.
NOR will win nothing on his own this year, he needs help. Sorry but despite the penalty sham, he waited too long to attack on a big tire delta in a car that almost pulled a 5s gap in 3 laps afterwards. He's not good enough to win this year.

ing.

dialtone wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 03:06
deadhead wrote:
f1316 wrote:

NOR will win nothing on his own this year, he needs help. Sorry but despite the penalty sham, he waited too long to attack on a big tire delta in a car that almost pulled a 5s gap in 3 laps afterwards. He's not good enough to win this year.
Despite some great showings, I’m genuinely surprised by how inconsistent and error prone NOR has been this year. If Ferrari keep maximizing the performance of the car, I think LEC can catch NOR.

LEC needs a healthy dose of good fortune—the start today was a dream scenario—which, frankly I think he’s due.

ScuderiaLeo

Leclerc's comment about the strategy team and specifically Ravin Jain.

Ravin Jain? He is incredible. I really have a lot of confidence in Ravin. He has done an excellent job. He manages emotions very well, which was perhaps one of our weaknesses in the past, when it comes to strategy. That has changed a lot with Ravin.
Ferrari has done a few strategy mistakes this year but most of the time they've been correct. The praise is warranted.

This team has come a long way and the new staff and reorganization Vasseur has done is paying off.

edu2703
edu2703

deadhead wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Norris will need a lot of luck (almost a miracle) to win the championship. He won't be able to win on pure talent alone, even if he wins all 5 races and 2 sprints remaining.

To give you an idea, if Norris wins the Mexican GP, ​​the Sprint and the Brazilian GP race, ​​and Verstappen retires or fails to score in all 3, he will be ahead of Verstappen by just 2 points, with 3 races and 1 sprint remaining. That's the championship for Max to lose at this point.

I guess Verstappen must be very happy with Ferrari's performance and hoping it stays that way in the remaining races. It doesn't matter that he won't win. The most important thing is that Norris won't win either and Norris NEEDS to win to keep his WC dream alive. Just counting on Verstappen being incredibly unlucky or Red Bull's performance falling off a cliff won't be enough.

Esi12511
Esi12511

I hope they can carry the same speed in the future races but do you think hot track temperature helped us today and hurt the competition?

Sevach
Sevach

f1316 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 02:48
What do we think about engines? My expectation had always been that Charles might need to take a grid penalty before EOY but Carlos is probably ok (depending on what exactly his - thankfully solvable - issue was today)
Brazil is a good track for coming through the field, weather, some crazy... plus Charles will have a chance to smoke everybody with a super engine in the sprint.

Catar is probably the track where Ferrari won't be at it's best, but too late in the season, so if needed Brazil.

F1NAC

SF 24 has the same amount of victories as F1-75. Crazy to think.

Another victory for Charles starting outside the front row. Very well managed race. Dream weekend. WCC here we go!!

yooogurt

NoDivergence wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 01:03
Thanks, any particular reason why it hasn't been winning (a lot) since that update?
The car has a weak qualifying, in Singapore the pace was to keep up with Lando, but for this it was necessary to start next to, but not 9-10. And in Baku, the mistakes of the team and Charles, along with the mini drs, which allowed McLaren to keep the position.
FORZA FERRARI!

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

ing. wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 03:48
dialtone wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 03:06
deadhead wrote:

Despite some great showings, I’m genuinely surprised by how inconsistent and error prone NOR has been this year. If Ferrari keep maximizing the performance of the car, I think LEC can catch NOR.

LEC needs a healthy dose of good fortune—the start today was a dream scenario—which, frankly I think he’s due.
I'm a McLaren fan and I agree. Hopefully this year is teaching Lando how he needs to race and will stand him in good stead for the future. Let's not forget that Max had several seasons fighting at the front before he won his first title. Charles and Carlos are both more experienced that Lando as well.

Personally I have high hopes for my 2 favourite teams to be battling for both titles next season. Because frankly I'll be happy if Lando, Oscar, Lewis or Charles wins!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Vanja #66

WCC points, standings after 19 races are as follows:

2004 - 628 total, 34.9 points per race (latest points system, 18 races)

2007 – 500 total, 29.4 points per race (latest points system, 17 races)

2017 – 495

2022 – 469

2023 - 349

2024 – 496

Sprint points are obviously skewing the overall haul, especially over season 2017, but maximised races (mostly) continue as a trend of this year. I didn't think it was possible to overhaul points from 2022 at all, but it's very possible they might do it within 22 races like that season. They now need to repeat that second row lockout in Q3 in Mexico, since taking the front row means you definitely won't lead into T1 :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 12:34
WCC points, standings after 19 races are as follows:

2004 - 628 total, 34.9 points per race (latest points system, 18 races)

2007 – 500 total, 29.4 points per race (latest points system, 17 races)

2017 – 495

2022 – 469

2023 - 349

2024 – 496

Sprint points are obviously skewing the overall haul, especially over season 2017, but maximised races (mostly) continue as a trend of this year. I didn't think it was possible to overhaul points from 2022 at all, but it's very possible they might do it within 22 races like that season. They now need to repeat that second row lockout in Q3 in Mexico, since taking the front row means you definitely won't lead into T1 :mrgreen:
Good thing it's hard to qualify well with this car :mrgreen:

jumpingfish

So glad that the implemented updates are working and are being confirmed at different races. If only the qualifications could be improved, then we can be completely satisfied.
Something I am suspicious of is how things are going with the power unit for 2026. Many are clearly optimistic about the Mercedes engine, not only from the manufacturer itself and their customers, but even Renault preferred to implement their engine instead of spending money on a french one. If they didn’t care about the manufacturer, why didn’t they choose Ferrari? Does this mean that some data is already known and future customers are jumping at the opportunity to have a more powerful engine in advance? Is it possible that this was one of the reasons why Newey decided to prefer Aston with Honda (+ new wind tunnel, investments)?

deadhead

Esi12511 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 05:46
I hope they can carry the same speed in the future races but do you think hot track temperature helped us today and hurt the competition?
Yes.

I think the McLaren doesn’t particularly like high track temperatures and the SF24 always performs better on a hot track.

I haven’t seen a more “scientific” take on this correlation, but I’m certain that it exists. Not sure if the Monza upgrade remedied some of that? we will see.

Mexico City won’t be as hot as Austin.