Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Mercedes W15

zioture wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 10:58
Look at this picture, Mercedes in my opinion had already modified the third elemeno since Miami, look at the cover has yes an air intake but also a vertical bulge just to accommodate the third suspension element . THE strange thing is that they didn't use this air intake to cool Hamilton's macchian, and they didn't use this air intake at Imola and Monte Carlo... tracks where instead Red bull used the 2 small air intakes.

The 360 camera needs to be a certain height above the bodywork to not impede on the view. So when they added the extra cooling duct they probably raised it a little.

But no I don't think they had the bigger damper unit in Miami, they increased the hump much more in the later races.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

zioture
zioture

Though it is very strange that coincidentally, in Miami they also changed something about the suspension arms, as you can read from the document via in Miami. Also I have not found other races where they used this air intake and also it was not used By Hamilton who in Miami did not have all the upgrades. Indeed the clues are many

zioture wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 11:28
Though it is very strange that coincidentally, in Miami they also changed something about the suspension arms, as you can read from the document via in Miami. Also I have not found other races where they used this air intake and also it was not used By Hamilton who in Miami did not have all the upgrades. Indeed the clues are many
I believe the only time HAM hasn’t had the same upgrades is Monaco.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

zioture
zioture

venkyhere
venkyhere

zioture wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 10:58
Look at this picture, Mercedes in my opinion had already modified the third elemeno since Miami, look at the cover has yes an air intake but also a vertical bulge just to accommodate the third suspension element . THE strange thing is that they didn't use this air intake to cool Hamilton's macchian, and they didn't use this air intake at Imola and Monte Carlo... tracks where instead Red bull used the 2 small air intakes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GSjU8dqWkAA ... name=large
The "Miami bulge" is way aft of where the push rod meets the chassis.
The "Austria bulge" is exactly where the push rod meets the chassis

atanatizante

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 02:31
Farnborough wrote:
15 Jul 2024, 20:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jul 2024, 20:37

I think the formula 1 teams create extensions piping that go to passive hydraulic "brain blocks" to force open certain valving inside these advanced dampers at different accelerations and atittudes of the car.

The dampers probably come with hydraulic inputs and outputs that can be piloted by these other passive mechanical sensors elsewhere on the car.
Is that pure speculation ? Or some internal reporting that offers the information ?

As I understand it, the regulations specifically prohibit interlinked hardware in that description.
Only front to rear interlinking is banned IIRC.

Even within that there are loop holes. You could use quantum entanglement to link the front and the rear if you wanted, and the FIA would never find out.
According to Gary Anderson, I quote " ... a new front central spring and damper unit that has a larger diameter and uses a pack of bevel washers as the springing medium so in effect, it gives the team tighter control over the front ride height at high speed." (source: https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/gary ... all-teams/)

In order to understand the role of this new item you just have to see the car`s ride ability over the kerbs in turns 16 and 17 at Silverstone in qualy to see the performance of this new suspension and damper unit ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Any words about upgrades for Hungary race?

Lasssept

Formula 1 fan wrote:
17 Jul 2024, 13:58
Any words about upgrades for Hungary race?
AMuS
Wolff: The team is working hard on further performance steps that will hopefully enable us to do this. We will continue these efforts in the next two races and until the summer break."

What exactly is coming is not yet clear.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ngaroring/

atanatizante

Some pictures from Silverstone ...

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:
17 Jul 2024, 13:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Farnborough wrote:
15 Jul 2024, 20:53

Is that pure speculation ? Or some internal reporting that offers the information ?

As I understand it, the regulations specifically prohibit interlinked hardware in that description.

Even within that there are loop holes. You could use quantum entanglement to link the front and the rear if you wanted, and the FIA would never find out.
According to Gary Anderson, I quote " ... a new front central spring and damper unit that has a larger diameter and uses a pack of bevel washers as the springing medium so in effect, it gives the team tighter control over the front ride height at high speed." (source: https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/gary ... all-teams/)

In order to understand the role of this new item you just have to see the car`s ride ability over the kerbs in turns 16 and 17 at Silverstone in qualy to see the performance of this new suspension and damper unit ...
The thing with his article is that he makes ut seem new. Ever since RedBull started using the disk springs (or washer springs) over ten years ago, other teams have used then on and off including Mercedes. Did the W15 start off with coil spring on the third element then change over to the stacked washer type? I really dont know, a review of old photos have to be done.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 01:53
atanatizante wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

The thing with his article is that he makes ut seem new. Ever since RedBull started using the disk springs (or washer springs) over ten years ago, other teams have used then on and off including Mercedes. Did the W15 start off with coil spring on the third element then change over to the stacked washer type? I really dont know, a review of old photos have to be done.
Commonly known as Belleville spring, or Belleville washers :)
Felipe Baby!

Farnborough
Farnborough

SiLo wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 10:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 01:53
atanatizante wrote:

Commonly known as Belleville spring, or Belleville washers :)
Very different properties too. Essentially digressive vs linearity in torsion spring for native properties.

These will, of course, be changed in some aspect from "bell" crank actuation etc to increase or reduce their characteristic effect within range of movement.

RB use also, it seems, the top front suspension arm as sprung medium (rather than independent links) to have spring resistance in that component, and linked across the platform, one side to the other.

Lasssept

des_1986
des_1986

I haven't spotted any obvious changes yet

cplchanb
cplchanb

des_1986 wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 19:59

I haven't spotted any obvious changes yet
either we will see them tomorrow or its more mechanical hidden changes.... or it could be another smoke and mirrors case where there are no changes at all...