Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NicoS

Re: Mercedes W13

dans79 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:26
Jesus though side pods are narrow, from the front end view, it looks like they don't even project out past the the inside of the tires.
Calm down, take a deep breath.
sidepods are exactly the same width, the openings are narrower.

Bandit1216

I would call it upside down sidepod. They're gone.
Last edited by Bandit1216 on 10 Mar 2022, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

icantride
icantride

Front wing has a slightly revised profile towards the outboard end

dialtone
dialtone

Bandit1216 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:41
I would call it upside down sidepot. It's they're gone.
yeah, I agree. Instead of an undercut they cut out the part at the top and fattened up the part at the bottom. I assume they expect the shape of those sidepods now to take care of the outwash and push enough air to the outside of the rear tire to reduce drag there.

ringo

DragonSGC wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:37
I am sure Merc have done their homework regarding the legality of this solution but I wonder if possible protests are being thought of this very second, either on minimum curvature, shadowing or discontinuity grounds, post quali in bahrain is going to be spicy (its when a successful protest will have the most impact).
The more I look at it, the more it seems not so narrow. It's narrow at the front, but towards the middle, it seems just as close to the floor edge as the other cars sidepods.

It seems these sidepods are more for a downwash effect towards the floor to seal it. But not sure how this impacts flow going towards the rear wing.
Chances are this sidepod design can be a dud. :|
For Sure!!

AeroDynamic

The sidepod is further back .. or the side crash structure and mirror setting are further forward ahead of the sidepod?

dans79

The ripples are gone, but it looks like there's some form of vortex generator on the underside of the floor where the ripples used to be.
201 105 104 9 9 7

gandharva

Wide at the bottom and narrow at the top. So no "no-sidepod" design, but more like upside down sidepods. Philosophy changed from outwash to (extreme) downwash.
Last edited by gandharva on 10 Mar 2022, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

Bandit1216

Not sure it's fast, but it's ugly imo
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

AeroDynamic

brighter side view
I think the cars in the background look the same as they did in the first test in terms of the packaging and obvious stuff.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Mar 2022, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

AeroDynamic wrote:
Mercedes really adding the winglets

Envoyé de mon Nokia 8.1 en utilisant Tapatalk

ringo

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:39
ringo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:30
Did the rear suspension change to pushrod?

I was hinting at this earlier, but I guess it was too crazy to believe. Also did not want to give away the game when I want this team to do well. The coolers are invading the fuel tank space.
But how Mercedes achieve this is with a long chassis. You put the coolers in the side, lengthen the fuel tank to ensure the 100kg tank volume is maintained. Lengthen the car enough that the hot air can escape as well.

The team are not using any fancy liquid for cooling i suspect. The car is long and the radiators are actually still normal sized. I suspect the coolers are angled very narrowly and the air just flows through the cavity under the tub.
Isn’t the fuel tank a spec part?
I have not checked the new rules, but is suspect there is a legality volume pertaining to the driver's back side of the chassis. A wedge shape from the side view. There is also some volumes going backward, but from the front view once you are past the driver cell, you should be able to narrow the tub towards the regulated mounting points for the engine. And the engine is V shaped. So to the shoulders of the V the coolers can occupy that area.
Last edited by ringo on 10 Mar 2022, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ringo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:52
SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:39
ringo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:30
Did the rear suspension change to pushrod?

I was hinting at this earlier, but I guess it was too crazy to believe. Also did not want to give away the game when I want this team to do well. The coolers are invading the fuel tank space.
But how Mercedes achieve this is with a long chassis. You put the coolers in the side, lengthen the fuel tank to ensure the 100kg tank volume is maintained. Lengthen the car enough that the hot air can escape as well.

The team are not using any fancy liquid for cooling i suspect. The car is long and the radiators are actually still normal sized. I suspect the coolers are angled very narrowly and the air just flows through the cavity under the tub.
Isn’t the fuel tank a spec part?
I have not checked the new rules, but is suspect there is a legality volume pertaining to the driver's back side of the chassis. A wedge shape from the side view. There is also some volumes going backward, but from the front view once you are past the driver cell, you should be able to narrow the tub towards the regulated mounting points for the engine. And the engine is upside down V shaped. So to the shoulders of the V the coolers can occupy that area.
I’m sure they are using the tub to find space for cooling, but I thought the fuel tank itself was now a spec part… I could be 100% wrong in my assumption though

AeroDynamic

Mercedes have the 'not a bargeboard' bargeboard, similar to the RB

organic

Edit as comment now irrelevant.
Last edited by organic on 10 Mar 2022, 09:09, edited 2 times in total.