2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

I mean, you look at the top end drivers - Hamilton especially, Alonso used to to some extent, Hakkinen back in the day too - they will even sandbag right up to qualifying.
They'll run flat out yes, but they deliberately stay off the kerbs a little, take a slightly slower line on some corners. Hamilton is the biggest current example because he got sick of Rosberg copying so altered and started that, hasn't stopped it since.

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 16:53
I mean, you look at the top end drivers - Hamilton especially, Alonso used to to some extent, Hakkinen back in the day too - they will even sandbag right up to qualifying.
They'll run flat out yes, but they deliberately stay off the kerbs a little, take a slightly slower line on some corners. Hamilton is the biggest current example because he got sick of Rosberg copying so altered and started that, hasn't stopped it since.
In the last couple of years we have almost never had any team who showed their hand during testing. It's in the nature of the test itself, the goal is not to be fastest but to test certain things about your car. For all we know, the fastest time a team set in testing could have been achieved while testing a setup that doesn't suit the track characteristic at all.

But what you said here is also true, for this test in particular, considering the first race is also on the same track. Top drivers rarely show their tricks up until it matters, they try to preserve any sort of advantage they may have over their components, however small it may be.

CjC
CjC

I know it gets asked a lot but I’m not sure about this, are Mclaren using Petronas juice for the Merc PU?
Just a fan's point of view

djos

Yes they are.
"In downforce we trust"

Emag
Emag

djos wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 23:31
Yes they are.
So gulf is just a sponsor, not a partner?

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 00:08
djos wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 23:31
Yes they are.
So gulf is just a sponsor, not a partner?
That’s my understanding, I think Mclaren used BP fuel with the Renault so I assumed This season they will use Petronas fuel but can’t find a source to confirm
Just a fan's point of view

Mansell89
Mansell89

It’s a really important question so would be good to get official confirmation on the fuel.

I would think, based on the lessons of 2014 where the fuel was apparently costing us horsepower, that McLaren are using Petronas to extract the best performance from the Mercedes engine.

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 05:38
https://youtu.be/zUlX1TaKqhs
hahahaha

Lando has an APPALLING poker face when it comes to downplaying expectations...
Even before it was mentioned that folks in the factory had been saying how much better the Mercedes engine is, or how innovative the floor and rear diffuser are, he was barely able to hold a grin whilst telling them that it was "just a small step forward"

I can't wait for Friday, but I fully expect Mclaren to show no real pace on the Friday, and hold it all back till Saturday, if indeed the car really is special.

Fingers and toes crossed, but I realise that it is entirely possible that I am just seeing what I want to see :mrgreen:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

Well my glasses are probably as biased as yours, but i see the exact same as you, theyve been instructed to say things like, lets see, we spend all tokens on pu integration, etc etc. But the body language and his inability to hide that smile, for sure a status qou feeling would not produce that.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Lucky wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 05:38
https://youtu.be/zUlX1TaKqhs
It seems that the team is very very positive this year. Nice stuff. Hopefully we get a good season! :D

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:Well my glasses are probably as biased as yours, but i see the exact same as you, theyve been instructed to say things like, lets see, we spend all tokens on pu integration, etc etc. But the body language and his inability to hide that smile, for sure a status qou feeling would not produce that.
There is definitely a higher degree of confidence for this year, the fact that he was outright saying that the team will be targeting podiums is quiet the declaration of intention...

I also have the same impression that the team is feeling very positive about the car, but I still don’t want to create too many expectations for myself just yet and just enjoy whatever the season brings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mansell89
Mansell89

You definitely sense some optimism- Lando and Dan have both struggled to hide a smile breaking out of their downplayed words.

One thing we have to factor in as well is the reaction of the paddock if McLaren jump out of the gate fighting for podiums and wins- there has been a lot of policing of their development and they wouldn’t want teams jumping to a protest before the season even starts.

The wording around “small steps” and “it’s basically the same car” are all important. They don’t want anything to come across like they’ve benefited from the engine change. I wonder just how much more they could have done without the limitations of the FIA.

I think the Merc engine in general has benefits so here’s hoping for a positive season!

MKlaus
MKlaus

james key is their real asset. the guy has always managed to drive the team in producing cars that punch above the weight. be it at force india, sauber or toro rosso. it appears that their team structure is settled and working well under andreas. they now have a genuinely top race driver in ricciardo.
they need to massively improve in on track operations, strategy and pit stop management. if they need to snatch podiums from red bull and mercedes, they need to be absolutley top notch in racing operations. their strategist(s) need to be on their toes all the time to steal opportunities, induce strategic errors on merc and rb and make things happen, rather than wait for the races to come to them.
they definitely have a good car and two really good drivers and now it's time to secure the third place and go for the kill for the second spot. hoping to see them rise after a really dark and long night that has lasted years.

_cerber1

Key sheds light on what McLaren prioritised over the winter
https://racingnews365.com/key-light-mcl ... ver-winter