2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:23
Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:19
renault rs26 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:45
https://i.imgur.com/6fpMR2O.png

This guy managed to lose this race. :lol:
And what exactly did Hamilton do wrong this time? He wanted to pit for slicks, but the team told him to stay out. He was dead last and then finished third. Effing ridiculous comment.
He really should have won the race though, even after that penalty, if not for Alonso (in particular) and Sainz defending well for a total of 10+ laps, Hamilton would have finished the race 15+ seconds ahead of both Ocon and Vettel at the pace he was going at.
I'm in two minds over it. Alonso fought very hard, almost too hard, and so stopped the win. But it is nice to have a new winner and with Max stuffed at the start the points advantage gain is a bit unfair if he got the win.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Toto said that Lewis would end up 6th if he had pitted before the 2nd start

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:25
politburo wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:19

And what exactly did Hamilton do wrong this time? He wanted to pit for slicks, but the team told him to stay out. He was dead last and then finished third. Effing ridiculous comment.
He really should have won the race though, even after that penalty, if not for Alonso (in particular) and Sainz defending well for a total of 10+ laps, Hamilton would have finished the race 15+ seconds ahead of both Ocon and Vettel at the pace he was going at.
I'm in two minds over it. Alonso fought very hard, almost too hard, and so stopped the win. But it is nice to have a new winner and with Max stuffed at the start the points advantage gain is a bit unfair if he got the win.
Alonso did it for Max:

=D>

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f1jcw
f1jcw

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:25
Toto said that Lewis would end up 6th if he had pitted before the 2nd start
thats better then last, so why did Tota say they wouldn't do anything different.

Jolle wrote:
214270 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:18
mkay wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:14

You have to maintain 10-car length distance to the SC so he couldn't have done that.
If that’s the case, isn’t there a crossover whereby HAM becomes the safety car and dictates pace?
Not when they have a standing start. Just at a safety car restart
Ok, that stinks. It would seem like there really isn’t any opportunity for HAM to have built a gap to pit, but others behind can.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Schuttelberg

Mr.S wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:15
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:42
Mr.S wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:29
The people cribbing about Hamilton not being past ar fanboys who haven't watched the sport for 20+ years unlike many others. Alonso was on the line & ahead. Hamilton had no business even trying an overtake there. And Alonso gave hima
a full car width otherwise Hamilton would have been out! And LH has been a serial whiner for decades playing victim cards & twisting logic & facts. I still remember when he hit someone in Monaco & got a penalty & played the race card & said it was because he was black. Probably 09 or 10 that was.

Anyways LH continues to get lucky as a far superior driver in Verstappen continues to get taken by another Mercedes (Bottas this time). And Perez's engine needs to be changed too. Both RB are in the new engines & this would compromise the last few races (atleats 1 of them) plus Monza (they have to go into Monza with a much older engine & the others will have new). Alonso rolling back the years & showing why he is a Senna-Schumacher level driver. Shame he has 2 titles only. LH's 7 titles are probably as undeserving as Villeneuve's World Title. Being with a joke like Bottas !

Anyways we head to Mid-season with Mercedes & RB tied of sorts (Mercedes narrow advantage), Mercedes have the quicker car now (proven in different circuits like the last 2). The Silverstone upgrade was very strong & helped Mercedes. RB have the superior driver & need to find 1-2 tenths more in upgrades vs Mercedes in Half 2 if they want to win. This will go to the end. The 2 Mercedes (Hamilton in Britain & Bottas in Hungary) taking our RB causing 3rd Power Unit to be introduced will be a big disadvantage for RB !
Do you recall 2018 Silverstone when insinuations were made about Kimi deliberately taking a Mercedes out? Obviously this doesn't even assume the same realms of discussion!

Hamilton and Mercedes have lost all respect from my side. A Mercedes junior has just won a race and he's nowhere near a race seat and Hamilton has pretended for years that he doesn't care who's in the second car. In fact, he's gone on record accusing Fred and Seb and it's pretty clear that they have no such say.
I am not saying Bottas did it on purpose. Just that Mercedes & LH have been incredibly lucky -

1. Verstappen's tyre goes out in Baku & he loses a 10 point lead over Hamilton
2. Silverstone - Hamilton takes him out & takes 25 points. Intentional or not, he took him out.
3. Hungary - Max was already upto 2nd place & had the whole race to attack Lewis. Also Perez was past Bottas in 3rd or 4th place which would have allowed RB 2 cars & a potential undercut with one.

That is just 3 races on the row that Verstappen missed out on a 1st or 2nd finish due to Tyre failure or a Mercedes taking him out. He should have been 40-50 points ahead of Hamilton going into the winter break & now he is behind.

And RB which went into their 2nd Unit later than Mercedes (were supposed to have a PU advantage thus in durability) are now into their 3rd PU before Monza (where most teams will go with a new engine). There's no way this engine will last & will have same performance. You get a potential 10 place penalty somewhere down the line & you go into Monza without a new PU.

Fair to say LH is insanely lucky while Verstappen has crazy bad luck! Hope H2 doesn't have such lopsided luck ! Incredible to see Alonso. Shame he has 2 titles ! Future generations should remember Alonso like they will for Senna or Schumacher !
Hit. Nail. Head.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

That's OK Ocon deserved that but not consistent again.
Lando got a penalty in Baku...

I wonder if Ocon will get a congrats call from Verstappen ^^

Schuttelberg

Shrieker wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:21
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:10
Shrieker wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:02

Mmm, yes, drown me in the sweet tears of your envy

Joking aside, any neutral observer would tell you that Red Bull had the faster car for the majority of the season, and they didn't, or couldn't make the most of it.
I am not neutral anymore and it suits my argument to say Mercedes are faster but you know? I'm not a driver and even if I were, I don't think I'd get a chance to drive both those machines. I doubt anyone can. All I know is that Max would be leading the championship in either car this year with luck being equal because he has not made any race ending mistakes and been vastly unfortunate. But hey? The media is all British as are most forums and the sport, so let's just ignore all that.

Lewis is great. Max is just lucky driving a great car. Let that be the narrative.
There is a factually incorrect statement there. Max made multiple race ruining or compromising at the the very least mistakes, and they were tolerated by Hamilton. Both at Imola and Catalunya Max tried pushing him out ruthlessly, but Hamilton jumped out of the way. Max would've received car damage in both, especially in Catalunya.

Also in the British GP, he took himself out, at least as much as Lewis took him out. He's just so used to people getting out of his way - it showed today as well. He was expecting Mick to get lost, and he ended up with yet another contact.
Do you want to go through the number of times Hamilton has ruthlessly pushed and shoved Rosberg around? Take off your tinted Hamilton love glasses and smell the coffee. The world might be more appealing.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

falonso81

ArcticWolfie wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:26
Alonso did it for Max:

=D>
...he always complains...Gotta love Fernando!
He is right though.

Shrieker

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:33
Shrieker wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:10

I am not neutral anymore and it suits my argument to say Mercedes are faster but you know? I'm not a driver and even if I were, I don't think I'd get a chance to drive both those machines. I doubt anyone can. All I know is that Max would be leading the championship in either car this year with luck being equal because he has not made any race ending mistakes and been vastly unfortunate. But hey? The media is all British as are most forums and the sport, so let's just ignore all that.

Lewis is great. Max is just lucky driving a great car. Let that be the narrative.
There is a factually incorrect statement there. Max made multiple race ruining or compromising at the the very least mistakes, and they were tolerated by Hamilton. Both at Imola and Catalunya Max tried pushing him out ruthlessly, but Hamilton jumped out of the way. Max would've received car damage in both, especially in Catalunya.

Also in the British GP, he took himself out, at least as much as Lewis took him out. He's just so used to people getting out of his way - it showed today as well. He was expecting Mick to get lost, and he ended up with yet another contact.
Do you want to go through the number of times Hamilton has ruthlessly pushed and shoved Rosberg around? Take off your tinted Hamilton love glasses and smell the coffee. The world might be more appealing.
Hmm. Is it cos Rosberg set the rules of engagement first maybe ? And also, which has nothing to do with Verstappen vs. Hamilton ? Also, your response basically admits that your previous statement about Max not making any mistakes was indeed factually incorrect ? :wink:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

politburo
politburo

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:32

The FIA take red flag and yellow-flag infringements far more seriously as those are safety issues. Going past the pitlane after the finish, with noone else on the track is not a safety issue, especially if the driver stops at the end of the pitlane anyway.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Ryar

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:32

Like Hamilton used to call Rosberg on his wins in 2016? Yeah I am sure, he will. :wink:

Great maturity there by Ocon and well deserved win. His relationship wih Alonso seems to be over the moon. Very appreciative of each other. Contray to all the bs peddled about Alonso. Other than everyone that has worked him, his detractors have massive problem with Alonso's nature.
Hakuna Matata!

Schuttelberg

Shrieker wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:35
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:33
Shrieker wrote:

Hmm. Is it cos Rosberg set the rules of engagement first maybe ? And also, which has nothing to do with Verstappen vs. Hamilton ? Also, your response basically admits that your previous statement about Max not making any mistakes was indeed factually incorrect ? :wink:
Yeah man. Lewis deserves to lead the championship. Sleep well.

Scorpaguy

This race would likely have been a Merc walk away had it not been for the rain and bumbling Bot ("George...please clear your calendar for a seat fitting"). Nice to have the mix up. Other thoughts:
  • Seeing how Checo seemed to be doing well in Quali...and Max still not quite 100%, hard to tell how much the gap has closed. Still, it was only Ham's Merc that could overtake today. I would assume the title race is either back on or Merc begins to walk away.
  • "Booing in sport"...just as much fun as cheering for your guy (ask Jeff Gordon or Kyle Busch if they ever got booed while dominating...and what it did for their motivation)
  • Cost cap...both Wolf and Horner need to be checking on their duct tape supply. Starting to love this...bring on the rain and have Bot start last.