2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
1m0bius1
1m0bius1

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Lando getting 3 more days than Daniel. Not good. Daniel needed all the laps he could get. Lando will hold a significant advantedge going into next week.

Darth-Piekus

Where do you think Mclaren might stand? Can they challenge for victories this year on merit and perhaps take the title fight?

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:25
Looks like they got a solution. Lando is on a longish stint now without doing obvious cooldown laps.

Keeping up with the lapcount of other teams. If they have a good day today, will we see another swing of opinion? :)
I'm sure the drama queens will still be lurking.

Looking good so far today, the laps are mounting up. Yesterday will still have been useful for learning about the car and they can still get useful data from those runs. Since the race is here next week, they will be able to continue to learn about the tyres and setup on this track and not lose too much compared to others. No big deal for me.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Williams will be permitted extra running this evening after losing time to a brake issue on Friday . Should Mclaren ask for extra time also?

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:54
Where do you think Mclaren might stand? Can they challenge for victories this year on merit and perhaps take the title fight?
I doubt it, but who knows. ATs principal was talking about his pecking order yesterday, he thinks Merc, RB and Ferrari are the lead 3 teams with Mclaren quite close behind and the midfield close behind Mclaren. But given margin for error we could push forward towards a leading contender or dragged back to a midfield fight, with that swinging from track to track.

Upgrades at Race 1 could easily change everything too.

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

1m0bius1 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:38
Lando getting 3 more days than Daniel. Not good. Daniel needed all the laps he could get. Lando will hold a significant advantedge going into next week.
I think the disadvantage isn’t that big as Norris has been sitting in the garage for most of time during the past couple of days. It is a minor disadvantage that Daniel can overcome and shouldn’t use as an excuse.

MrGapes

42.087 (C2)
Pit

Lachstar
Lachstar

40 laps so far 👍👍👍

the EDGE
the EDGE

McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:00
1m0bius1 wrote:
I think the disadvantage isn’t that big as Norris has been sitting in the garage for most of time during the past couple of days. It is a minor disadvantage that Daniel can overcome and shouldn’t use as an excuse.
He’s hardly been sitting in the garage all day, the cars run constantly all test, just completing shorter runs

The work Lando’s done will have been a huge benefit, but I’m sure Danny will catch-up quickly, he has had running in Barcelona after all

Good news is the car works & so far there is no evidence Danny will struggle with the handling compared to Lando, like last year

McL-H
McL-H

Lachstar wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:05
Fastest in the middle sector through the first hour and that was set on a fast first sector and second sector then eased off in the third so car seems to be performing well so far.
He actually made a mistake in the final corner, leaving the track on that particular lap. The car seemed to be struggling a lot with understeer.

McL-H
McL-H

the EDGE wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:08
McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:00
1m0bius1 wrote:
He’s hardly been sitting in the garage all day, the cars run constantly all test, just completing shorter runs

The work Lando’s done will have been a huge benefit, but I’m sure Danny will catch-up quickly, he has had running in Barcelona after all

Good news is the car works & so far there is no evidence Danny will struggle with the handling compared to Lando, like last year
He didn’t do much running either. 60 laps yesterday is not a whole lot and quite a bunch of the laps he did were very slow laps for aero testing. Sure, it is better than not driving at all.. I just want to say that given the circumstances, we shouldn’t make it bigger than it is. Lando has not been able much to push it on its tail either..

Lachstar
Lachstar

McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:09
Lachstar wrote:
Fastest in the middle sector through the first hour and that was set on a fast first sector and second sector then eased off in the third so car seems to be performing well so far.
He actually made a mistake in the final corner, leaving the track on that particular lap. The car seemed to be struggling a lot with understeer.
The understeer can't be too bad as we still hold the 3rd fastest middle sector.

mwillems

McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:09
Lachstar wrote:
The all cars struggle for front grip, lock up easily and find it harder to regain traction. RB looks the most solid at the moment.

I remember when the last Aero reg changes came through, it looked like the drivers were trying to drive bathtubs around the track. The cars when loaded with fuel are very much like that again..! It won't take long for them to get the Aero nailed but right now they are a handful. Having close racing through corners is a good thing, unless you suddenly lose traction and plough into someone !!! :D

I'll be interested to see how cautious people are with these cars on Race 1 and who will throw the nose in there.

Might we see a cautious Max Verstappen...?

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Many claim and rightfully so that Mercedes are sandbagging but is Mclaren also sandbagging?

EddyBaggio

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:20
Many claim and rightfully so that Mercedes are sandbagging but is Mclaren also sandbagging?
I dont see the point. I think we are just a bit behind at the moment.