2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

201 105 104 9 9 7

TimW
TimW

Penalties are hardly ever work out truly fair. A 'good' system is almost impossible. E.g. : Penalties are often nullified for the fastest and s slowest car on the grid. A grid penalty in Monaco is incomparable to e.g. Baku. Nobody likes grid penalties for engine changes, they are more like a necessary evil, frequently double punishing drivers with bad luck, who already had a dnf because of an engine failure. Etc.

I think the current system is quite decent.... But I also tend to agree with steward decisions, so maybe it is just me....

Big Tea

What about if and 'combined penalties' become a pit lane start?
This of course could often become an advantage in changeable conditions, but it does mean the penalty is served and the car will be at the back of the field in about 20 seconds anyway
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TimW
TimW

I don't think combined penalties are enough of an issue (except maybe to fanboys) to warrant a further complication of the rules.

basti313
basti313

Big Tea wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 21:32
This of course could often become an advantage in changeable conditions, but it does mean the penalty is served and the car will be at the back of the field in about 20 seconds anyway
This sounds like a bad fix to a non existing problem.
- Pitlane start is no penalty. You can change the setup. See Perez in Zandvoord.
- In a first corner crash you stay out of trouble with a pit lane start.
- 20sec is not realistic. For Per it was 6sec after the first lap and this is a track with a slow pit exit. Gas was behind Maz after lap 1 in Monza.
Don`t russel the hamster!

codetower

basti313 wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 22:21
Big Tea wrote:
- Pitlane start is no penalty. You can change the setup. See Perez in Zandvoord.
- 20sec is not realistic. For Per it was 6sec after the first lap and this is a track with a slow pit exit. Gas was behind Maz after lap 1 in Monza.
I think once you go beyond the 20th place, each extra 5 places the team would take a 5-10 second stop and go penalty. So lets say Driver A qualifies 10th, but has a total of 15 places of penalty, he would start 20th and have a 10 second stop n go.

pb6797
pb6797

codetower wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 01:46
basti313 wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 22:21
Big Tea wrote:
I think once you go beyond the 20th place, each extra 5 places the team would take a 5-10 second stop and go penalty. So lets say Driver A qualifies 10th, but has a total of 15 places of penalty, he would start 20th and have a 10 second stop n go.
If we did that we'd still be waiting for Button to finish the 2015 Spa Grand Prix :D

Chuckjr

If there’s rain I say put all new engine in Max’s car since it nullifies the grid penalty and rain races have so many variables it often is better to not be leading. We saw what happened to Ham this year already and could easily happen again because rain brings so many unforeseen variables. Rain also brings more passing opportunities because of the constantly changing tire usage from the weather and more mistakes from drivers. Often there are yellows and circumstances that nullify things like 20 place grid penalties. I say make the changes if it’s gonna rain.
Watching F1 since 1986.

El Scorchio

TimW wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 22:02
I don't think combined penalties are enough of an issue (except maybe to fanboys) to warrant a further complication of the rules.
Agree. I suppose people are asking the question because it's slightly unique circumstances IF he takes new engine parts as well as the penalty and no-one seems to know 100% what the rules are. You could grumble about the engine change mitigating the penalty, but then again, Hamilton still won the British GP and mitigated his penalty there too. The rules have their quirks and inadequacies sometimes, but they are the rules and they are the same for all the teams and drivers.

El Scorchio

Chuckjr wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 09:54
If there’s rain I say put all new engine in Max’s car since it nullifies the grid penalty and rain races have so many variables it often is better to not be leading. We saw what happened to Ham this year already and could easily happen again because rain brings so many unforeseen variables. Rain also brings more passing opportunities because of the constantly changing tire usage from the weather and more mistakes from drivers. Often there are yellows and circumstances that nullify things like 20 place grid penalties. I say make the changes if it’s gonna rain.
Speaking of which, does anyone know what the weather is doing at the moment? Are we looking at tarmac or water?

NathanOlder

El Scorchio wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 10:53
Chuckjr wrote:
Speaking of which, does anyone know what the weather is doing at the moment? Are we looking at tarmac or water?
Lovely dry sunshine right now.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 11:08
El Scorchio wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 10:53
Chuckjr wrote:
Lovely dry sunshine right now.
Ah yes- looks fine doesn't it!

El Scorchio

Lots of sparks from the underside of the Red Bull

NathanOlder

Was there a problem for Max at the start of the session ? Took 15 mins before he left the garage, and has done the least amount of laps of the 20 drivers today.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TimW
TimW

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 11:26
Was there a problem for Max at the start of the session ? Took 15 mins before he left the garage, and has done the least amount of laps of the 20 drivers today.
They saw godlameroso's predictions and are now preserving the hard tires for the race!