2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

El Scorchio wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 14:54
Verstappen on the radio: 'It's impossible to pass.' (a Williams)

I'm sure he's just being a bit dramatic, but that could be a real problem for them if it is applicable in the race.
Not a surprise that passing is really hard in Sochi.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 14:55
El Scorchio wrote:

I'm sure he's just being a bit dramatic, but that could be a real problem for them if it is applicable in the race.
The only option is to drop some rear wing off, really, unless they're running the PU in a very lower mode.
Surely he's just running a lower mode because they're bedding in the new engine?

Zynerji

Gasly in P3!

Its hard to NOT be an Alpha Tauri fan!

JPower
JPower

Ferrari looked good on the long runs. They might be hiding a little pace in the quali sim.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Marty_Y wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 14:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

The only option is to drop some rear wing off, really, unless they're running the PU in a very lower mode.
Surely he's just running a lower mode because they're bedding in the new engine?
Do they do that? I think with race engines, the power is greatest when they're new and they lose power as they age, unlike road car engines that "loosen up" as they bed in. The race engines will have been run on the dyno prior to shipping for fitment. I doubt they "bed in" engines on track.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

In the engine mode days typically they would ask the driver to try many modes after a PU change, but stay mostly in the lower ones. Not sure how they would set the mode per session to check the PU these days. Maybe just stay In a low one for the whole session.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 15:12
Marty_Y wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Do they do that? I think with race engines, the power is greatest when they're new and they lose power as they age, unlike road car engines that "loosen up" as they bed in. The race engines will have been run on the dyno prior to shipping for fitment. I doubt they "bed in" engines on track.
Bed in was probably the wrong term to use, I just meant that they wouldn't be overly aggressive at first, check all the data to make sure everything is ok etc.

MV8
MV8

El Scorchio wrote:

My bet is that is being a bit dramatic, I don't believe that he is running the max-powered engine mode in a FP2, some teams are hiding pace...
Just posting

f1316
f1316

I was kinda surprised everyone was so keen to take grid penalties here - sure, some of the straights are long but it’s never been exactly easy to pass. I would have thought COTA would be easier.

The rain may of course throw that out the window though.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 15:12
Marty_Y wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

There isn't a single race engine in the pro world or in a serious amateur effort that is broken in while in the car. All done on the dyno and ready to rip when dropped in.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The problem is that you have to punish the driver for a technical infraction e.g. engine change, otherwise a team would just throw a new engine in each race and pay the fin, safe in the knowledge that their preferred driver has a big engine advantage at each track. If a team was minded to win the driver's title at all costs, that would be an easy way to do it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

Yeah, these were interesting discussions. I think things are different in a budget cap era however.

godlameroso

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

It's going to rain until around 4pm tomorrow local time, with the heaviest rain around FP3 time, from what I can see. It won't be more than a drizzle on Sunday, likely dry. The rain will mean that there's a green track that will rubber in, I hope we saved our Hard tires, we're going to need them come race day. The undercut is very powerful, however there is a long pit time penalty.

The rears will need protecting.

A two stop is looking likely for the race, with a 3 stop being almost as fast. It may also afford enough pace disparity to make overtakes possible. If they don't have the top speed to make the pass into turn 2, then they'll need the downforce to make the pass into turn 13
Saishū kōnā

Unf

So smart decision by RBR. It is kinda street track, so SC is very predicable. Moreover - it's going to be wet. If it will be light/medium wet - still a lot of opportinities to gain on SC/red flags. If it will be heavy rain - Hamilton will gain only 50% points. It's win-win-win decision.

ringo

I don't know how they do it. But is an engine a 10 place drop? would they just add the 3 place penalty to that? Or..convert the 3 place penalty to a 5 second penalty.
Anyhow it should be interesting if Max really cannot overtaking with a brand new engine.
And i dont think there will be many safety cars in this race. athe drivers will know the tyres will last forever and they can take their time a circulate while keeping the following car behind.
For Sure!!