2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b
matt_b

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

codetower wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:52
Here’s a thought, does Mercedes just take the hit and go with a new PU at this point? Now that they are starting 4th now, it might change things.
No they do not because he is still favorite to win from P4.

RZS10

Lewis hit the wall with exactly four minutes on the clock, his stop without any issues would have been done with 3:4x to go, the outlaps of everyone else were in the region of 2:30, his was 2:07 because he had to make it to the line on time (did so with ~14s to spare), first laps were in the region of 1:52, so realistically there was no way he could have done two prep laps like everyone else (unless i'm missing something) ... so yes, cutting the inside of that corner in the pit entry was a clumsy mistake but it probably made no difference for the quali result after the Mercedes pitwall decided to leave them out for a second lap on used inters.
Last edited by RZS10 on 25 Sep 2021, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

codetower wrote:
Here’s a thought, does Mercedes just take the hit and go with a new PU at this point? Now that they are starting 4th now, it might change things.
No imo, with Max at the back you want to avoid the Lewis vs Max battles as much as possible. The win is still very much in play. The pole sitter at Sochi is usually a sitting duck at the start so there is a very good chance positions will shuffle on lap 1, although I have little faith with the Ferrari taking the Mclaren even with a tow, such is the difference in their straight line speeds. A good strategy and good driving should still yield a win imo, but knowing them they probably won't win it. I still would not opt to start at the back though.

max_speed
max_speed

I am expecting jumpy alonso and ricciardo . Near Presence of hamilton will pump up adrenaline bit more. Alonso will love overtaking hamilton and hold him up for few laps for show. Bet big on verstappen , he will be coming all guns blazing.

renault rs26
renault rs26

Starkblood80 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:45
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:34
Merc and Hamilton just cannot seem to get anything right. Besides Lewis hitting the pit wall and costing the team a front row lockout probably, Mercedes left it way too late to switch to the slick tire. When Russell made the call they should have went after that as it was obvious everyone was going to be on slicks, and the more warmup laps you did the better off you would be. This team is just underperforming massively and it goes from their main driver down to their inept pitwall. They don't deserve to win this championship imo.
It’s seems a great deal of people are enjoying gloating at Hamilton this season when he makes an error while conveniently ignoring Mercedes mistakes which have caused at least some of his issues.
It's because a great deal of people are proclaiming him as GOAT while conveniently ignoring Mercedes hasn't competition which have caused at least some of his titles. :wink:

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Hammerfist wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:00
codetower wrote:
No imo, with Max at the back you want to avoid the Lewis vs Max battles as much as possible. The win is still very much in play. The pole sitter at Sochi is usually a sitting duck at the start so there is a very good chance positions will shuffle on lap 1, although I have little faith with the Ferrari taking the Mclaren even with a tow, such is the difference in their straight line speeds. A good strategy and good driving should still yield a win imo, but knowing them they probably won't win it. I still would not opt to start at the back though.
4th place is also tricky when everybody is gunning for the 2nd corner. If it's wet, Verstappen and Leclerc probably got the best track position to start with :P inb4 crashes...

Big Tea

max_speed wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:02
I am expecting jumpy alonso and ricciardo . Near Presence of hamilton will pump up adrenaline bit more. Alonso will love overtaking hamilton and hold him up for few laps for show. Bet big on verstappen , he will be coming all guns blazing.
Hamiltons best option all round may be just 'stay out of the way'. If any of the cars in front of him win, it does not matter, its the gap to Max that the rest of the season is all about.

If it is dry he can try some hammertime with the tyre swaps, but 15 points is 15 points, and none are none.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

renault rs26 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:04
Starkblood80 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:45
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:34
Merc and Hamilton just cannot seem to get anything right. Besides Lewis hitting the pit wall and costing the team a front row lockout probably, Mercedes left it way too late to switch to the slick tire. When Russell made the call they should have went after that as it was obvious everyone was going to be on slicks, and the more warmup laps you did the better off you would be. This team is just underperforming massively and it goes from their main driver down to their inept pitwall. They don't deserve to win this championship imo.
It’s seems a great deal of people are enjoying gloating at Hamilton this season when he makes an error while conveniently ignoring Mercedes mistakes which have caused at least some of his issues.
It's because a great deal of people are proclaiming him as GOAT while conveniently ignoring Mercedes hasn't competition which have caused at least some of his titles. :wink:
Except I can think of several drivers that has applied to…

Prost
Senna for one of them
Schumacher for a few of them
Hill (I like him, but let’s be honest)
Mansell in ‘92
Fangio for a few of them
Jim Clark (I know this will piss people off, but it’s true).
Etc.

So realizing this, this part of the argument should stop. It’s always been this way and you all need to get over it / yourselves. None of these driver’s / teams’s accomplishments are yours.

I agree about the Mercedes team. They’ve been Ferrari bad this year in terms of the pitwall and strategy, and some of Lewis’s on track mistakes have been because they have put him in a bad position and caused a cascade of events.

codetower

ArcticWolfie wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:06
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:00
codetower wrote:
4th place is also tricky when everybody is gunning for the 2nd corner. If it's wet, Verstappen and Leclerc probably got the best track position to start with :P inb4 crashes...
It’s going to be a Monday decision IMO. We’ll know then if it would have been a wise decision. If you get caught up in some tussle at the start, if you end the race 3rd and Max fights back up to 5th then you take the penalty at another race where max wins and you end 5th… maybe starting at the back with Max now, you can out strategize RB and still end ahead. Then every race moving forward is on a level playing field.

… Or, Hamilton ends up going on to win this race, and max gets higher than 7th. Then skipping the PU change is was the right call.

nzjrs

I missed qualifying but saw the highlights. Why didn't Bottas get a time on softs?

Unf

codetower wrote:
But Toto told (as he never lie) they don't need to take new PU anymore...

nzjrs

nzjrs wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:31
I missed qualifying but saw the highlights. Why didn't Bottas get a time on softs?
Never mind, sky highlights show it delayed Bottas a little. Still surprised he didn't get a couple laps in.

RZS10

Yea he did a lap which was really slow (1:47.125) ... the issue was that both Merc drivers stayed out to do another lap on inters which they aborted (on that lap/their inlap they were mixed in with those who had already switched and were doing their outlaps on softs) - both then had to set a lap on their first flying lap on softs which just weren't in their operating window.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

RZS10 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:37
Yea he did a lap which was really slow (1:47.125) ... the issue was that both Merc drivers stayed out to do another lap on inters which they aborted (on that lap/their inlap they were mixed in with those who had already switched and were doing their outlaps on softs) - both then had to set a lap on their first flying lap on softs which just weren't in their operating window.
To compound things even further, they both had to yield to faster cars on their slick outlap which inhibited their warmup even more.

They came in a lap too late and Lewis borked up what little wiggle room they had left.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 25 Sep 2021, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckjr

Artur Craft wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:42
Scorpaguy wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:39
Question...does Rus make it easy for Ham off the line or does he start going all Rosberg now?
I very much doubt he will be anything but extremely friendly. They are both British F1 heroes of the moment, so their relationship will be very respectfull
Holy god dude. Calling Ham a hero when he’s the by-product of a German engine manufacturer who dominated an era while at the same time the guy supports groups like Crowdstrike (check his visor), is an insult to GB and in fact all F1 racing fans worldwide.

Yet again Ham again showing he can’t handle pressure. He needs engines that are 2 seconds faster a lap to win championships. Pathetic.

Amazing job Russell! That kid is going to give the old man a run for his money next year. Well done sir!

Whoever posted positions 1, 2, and 3 represent the greatest teams in F1...hats off to you my friend. Thank you. Cheers.

Red Bull was smart to take the engine change this race. Smart to not run Max today. Another great job by RB strategists so far this weekend.

Hoping for rain and mixing conditions tomorrow. Can’t wait to see Max and Charles take on the field. For some reason I feel like tomorrow is going to be epic. [-o<

Ryar, fwiw, I don’t think your posts are garbage.
Watching F1 since 1986.