2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

When was the last time 3 British drivers qualified in the top 4?

Struggling to think of an instance. 1966?

djones
djones

I know Hamilton knocked the wall. But Mercedes really did screw their drivers over today.

They had fast inter laps in the bag. There was literally no need to stay out on them for that long as the only thing that could have gone faster was slicks.

codetower

Mogster wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:49

This, and 4 different teams in the top 5.

dans79

Chuckjr wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:48
Holy god dude. Calling Ham a hero when he’s the by-product of a German engine manufacturer who dominated an era while at the same time the guy supports groups like Crowdstrike (check his visor), is an insult to GB and in fact all F1 racing fans worldwide.
Speak for yourself,your opinion is not the opinion of everyone!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Mogster

codetower wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:51
Mogster wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:49

This, and 4 different teams in the top 5.
Yes, incredible.

etusch

max_speed wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:02
I am expecting jumpy alonso and ricciardo . Near Presence of hamilton will pump up adrenaline bit more. Alonso will love overtaking hamilton and hold him up for few laps for show. Bet big on verstappen , he will be coming all guns blazing.
If Alonso do such a thing ( I wish him to do) Honda should make peace with Alonso.

codetower

Verstappen almost wasn’t able to race tomorrow. This would have lit up the thread.
The Stewards confirm that Car 33 may start the race despite failing to set a qualifying time in Q1.
In accordance with Article 36.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations, because the Qualifying Session was declared “wet” by the Race Director, Car 33 is entitled to start the race despite failing to set a time in Q1. This does not require a decision of the Stewards.
The Car will be placed on the grid in accordance with Article 36.3 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Ryar

Chuckjr wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:42
Scorpaguy wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:39
Question...does Rus make it easy for Ham off the line or does he start going all Rosberg now?
I very much doubt he will be anything but extremely friendly. They are both British F1 heroes of the moment, so their relationship will be very respectfull
Holy god dude. Calling Ham a hero when he’s the by-product of a German engine manufacturer who dominated an era while at the same time the guy supports groups like Crowdstrike (check his visor), is an insult to GB and in fact all F1 racing fans worldwide.

Yet again Ham again showing he can’t handle pressure. He needs engines that are 2 seconds faster a lap to win championships. Pathetic.

Amazing job Russell! That kid is going to give the old man a run for his money next year. Well done sir!

Whoever posted positions 1, 2, and 3 represent the greatest teams in F1...hats off to you my friend. Thank you. Cheers.

Red Bull was smart to take the engine change this race. Smart to not run Max today. Another great job by RB strategists so far this weekend.

Hoping for rain and mixing conditions tomorrow. Can’t wait to see Max and Charles take on the field. For some reason I feel like tomorrow is going to be epic. [-o<

Ryar, fwiw, I don’t think your posts are garbage.
Thank you Sir. Appreciate it.

I hope both Charles and Max give us a great recovery show. I am excited to see what that new Ferrari PU brings to the table. It would be exciting at the front too, with Lando, Carlos, Ricci and Fernando.
Hakuna Matata!

matt_b
matt_b

djones wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:50
I know Hamilton knocked the wall. But Mercedes really did screw their drivers over today.

They had fast inter laps in the bag. There was literally no need to stay out on them for that long as the only thing that could have gone faster was slicks.
Agreed the time to box was after setting the initial lap time I just don't know why they went for another because they had Pole at the time and the only way they could lose it was to soft tyres so switching to the softs is the obvious choice but maybe the drivers need to be giving more feedback about the conditions who knows.

etusch

Chuckjr wrote:

Where is German in the team except it's name ?

Mogster

matt_b wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:59
djones wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:50

Agreed the time to box was after setting the initial lap time I just don't know why they went for another because they had Pole at the time and the only way they could lose it was to soft tyres so switching to the softs is the obvious choice but maybe the drivers need to be giving more feedback about the conditions who knows.
I thought the same. The change to slicks seemed obvious but the pit lane was wet and very dodgy. Going for what ended up as racing pit stops seems to have been asking for trouble.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Chuckjr wrote:
the by-product of a German engine manufacturer
??? Designed & built in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, U.K. the last time I checked

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

is Hamilton Blind? time to pack and retire from F1. too much of mistake.

RZS10

Hoffman900 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:46
RZS10 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:37
Yea he did a lap which was really slow (1:47.125) ... the issue was that both Merc drivers stayed out to do another lap on inters which they aborted (on that lap/their inlap they were mixed in with those who had already switched and were doing their outlaps on softs) - both then had to set a lap on their first flying lap on softs which just weren't in their operating window.
To compound things even further, they both had to yield to faster cars on their slick outlap which inhibited their warmup even more.

They came in a lap too late and Lewis borked up what little wiggle room they had left.
I checked the replay and he lost roughly one minute.

4:00 Wall kiss
3:52 stopped
2:45 rolling down the fast lane with a new nose
2:30 leaving the pits (no pit limiter)

Bottas could leave the pits right after getting his slicks and he had a lot of time for his outlap and could have gone slower when needed (Lewis' fast outlap did not help him afterall), i also don't believe he was too hampered by having to let a few cars by ... the slicks just did not work on lap 1 and even then his 1:47 wasn't too shabby compared to the first laps of the others.

Lewis was already 2.143s down on Sainz' time (which was only 1.54s faster than his time on inters) after S2 and S3 was the tricky one with little grip ... so he very likely would not have improved on his own time without the spin anyways.

The only thing that was detrimental was that throughout the entire minute he lost in the pits his tyres were cooling down, they obviously could have just fitted another set of hot ones, but still, hard to imagine he could have done a decent enough time on his first lap when no one else could.

So it's kinda safe to say that neither running into the wall nor the spin had any impact on the quali result and it was almost entirely down to the team not pitting them one lap earlier.

codetower wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:57
Verstappen almost wasn’t able to race tomorrow. This would have lit up the thread.
The Stewards confirm that Car 33 may start the race despite failing to set a qualifying time in Q1.
In accordance with Article 36.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations, because the Qualifying Session was declared “wet” by the Race Director, Car 33 is entitled to start the race despite failing to set a time in Q1. This does not require a decision of the Stewards.
The Car will be placed on the grid in accordance with Article 36.3 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.
The stewarts would have allowed him to race anyways, it is usually just a formality. There was never a threat of him not starting.

ringo

Why so impatient f1 fans?
How is starting in P4 with a long run down to turn 1 a problem?
Lets wait and watch the race.
For all we know, the top 3 trip over themselves and LH waltz right through the middle and into P1 by lap 1.
And Mazepin spins into Max.

Anything can happen on a Sunday.

P4 is not too bad in a gambling qualifying. Tomrrow should be okay with the long run into turn 1. The shorter runs are usually the crashing ones.
For Sure!!