2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
atanatizante

Re: 2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

After doing so few laps and HAM setting his fastest top speed at the last run in Q3, it seems that Merc is running here very conservative regarding race mapping PU mode and could be just a damage limitation race after all ...

Then after setting all day the fastest S2, BOT seems to me he has set up the car for a 2 stop race strategy in contrast with the majority of the front drivers who are set for just a one-stop, presumably ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

nevill3 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:09
I think Mercedes have compromised their qualifying pace for better tyre life in the race tomorrow
Baseless.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

Zynerji wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:20
Starkblood80 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:18
Zynerji wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:10

I think it comes down to the setup windows of the car's. It's almost like the different min/max adjustments limit certain geometric concepts for stabilizing/destabilizing of the aero platform.

Just last year, we saw a large performance increase from Williams after a different setup concept was used.
If the Redbull has a wider set window then it is the better car because it can perform to it maximum potential across a wider variety of tracks.
The biggest compromise to that level of adjustability is size and weight. I think they "lock in" certain measurements with non-adjustable parts to save both of those negative byproducts.
Which doesn’t change the fact the RB is a better package this season.

Sieper

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:03
Congratulations Max, very very good lap. As a Merc/Lewis fan, I hope that the P2 turn 1 start favours Lewis as he will be able to dictate the corner of he is anywhere alongside.
Even if he is not. I am fearing tomorrow already, but then again, isn’t that the excitement of F1, sitting there with trembling knees and sweaty hands!

Sevach
Sevach

atanatizante wrote:
After doing so few laps and HAM setting his fastest top speed at the last run in Q3, it seems that Merc is running here very conservative regarding race mapping PU mode and could be just a damage limitation race after all ...

Then after setting all day the fastest S2, BOT seems to me he has set up the car for a 2 stop race strategy in contrast with the majority of the front drivers who are set for just a one-stop, presumably ...
Wouldn't changing the map for the final run of Qualy be against the rules?
I did find weird that after being 318 all day, Hamilton clocked 323 on his final run.

Gillian
Gillian

You can't change PU map during qualifying.

Didn't Hamilton get a small tow from Bottas? That might explain it (not sure).

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Sevach wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:42
atanatizante wrote:

I did find weird that after being 318 all day, Hamilton clocked 323 on his final run.
I don't know if he was close enough to get a benefit but I'm pretty sure that last run was the only one where Hamilton got a tow of Bottas

AeroDynamic

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:47
Sevach wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

I don't know if he was close enough to get a benefit but I'm pretty sure that last run was the only one where Hamilton got a tow of Bottas
Lewis was towing bottas around, I think it was his turn to do it. Max was towing checo around I think.

MCS probably went for broke getting a tow off Bottas in the last attempt. Figuring P2 was imperative to have an opportunity off the line.

I hope those two wont take eachother out

yelistener

Sevach wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

Huge Wind today, so any tow will get blown away immediately. That couple of km/h could be just from a favorable wind direction change.

PlatinumZealot

nevill3 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:09
I think Mercedes have compromised their qualifying pace for better tyre life in the race tomorrow
Yup its butt was wagging all over the place in the esses. They fell far out of that sweet spot they had in FP1. I can't say i am too disappointed. It was an awesome qualifyng but the writing was on the wall in FP3. Strange how FP1 fooled me that dominance had come back.

Anyway congrats to Max and Checo. It will be difficult tomorrow but hoping race pace and tyre life brings the win to Mercedes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

atanatizante

One reason Merc was losing in qualy was due to high track temps that caught them out Merc this time coz basically RB16B has a wider tyre window operation when it comes to the softer range of the tyres, especially C4 soft tyre, as we could easily see that in Bahrain, Azerbaijan, France, Austria and Nederlands ...

The second reason is the fact that Merc was concentrating their car setup on the medium tyre which will be the race tyre, the one they`ll start and most important they`ll use at least 2 times in the race, as James Allison was hinting at Sky, for COTA being a high wear track ...

A bit of an unknown quantity about C2 hard tyre, although they seem to perform better at the harder range of the tyres, nevertheless it`s nice to see that they have at least 2 tenths in their pocket on the medium ones, of course after FP2 sim race analysis :D ...

And last but not least, it`ll be interesting to see had BOT will do a longer first stint in order to block VER with the ease of his superior top speed ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

godlameroso

Tomorrow will have similar levels of wind, same direction. It won't rain, but reading the weather will be crucial to time your stops, as the clouds affect track temperature a good deal. A few degrees of track temperature can make a difference in getting more or less out of the tires.
Saishū kōnā

langedweil

Wouter wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:01
etusch wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 23:55
woaa look perez
Finally! Honda!!! Max Verstappen POLE!!! Perez also GREAT!!
Acura my friend :o)
HuggaWugga !

godlameroso

atanatizante wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 01:01
One reason Merc was losing in qualy was due to high track temps that caught them out Merc this time coz basically RB16B has a wider tyre window operation when it comes to the softer range of the tyres, especially C4 soft tyre, as we could easily see that in Bahrain, Azerbaijan, France, Austria and Nederlands ...

The second reason is the fact that Merc was concentrating their car setup on the medium tyre which will be the race tyre, the one they`ll start and most important they`ll use at least 2 times in the race, as James Allison was hinting at Sky, for COTA being a high wear track ...

A bit of an unknown quantity about C2 hard tyre, although they seem to perform better at the harder range of the tyres, nevertheless it`s nice to see that they have at least 2 tenths in their pocket on the medium ones, of course after FP2 sim race analysis :D ...

And last but not least, it`ll be interesting to see had BOT will do a longer first stint in order to block VER with the ease of his superior top speed ...
Verstappen was even faster in Q2 relative to Hamilton when they both had the medium.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

langedweil wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 01:16
Wouter wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 00:01
etusch wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 23:55
woaa look perez
Finally! Honda!!! Max Verstappen POLE!!! Perez also GREAT!!
Acura my friend :o)
It's fitting they pulled up in an Acura, they're Legends.

Saishū kōnā