2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Chuckjr

Re: 2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

<Stuff about other posters removed>. Let's not start accusing each other o things, shall we?

Great job Max getting the pole. Well done and much deserved, sir. Wish Cheko could have snatched second, but the Merc is the better car this year, and he’s not as talented as Max. Looks like the set up change they are using is working well for Cheko. Great job RB. Good to have Newey back.

Great to see the fight between Ferrari and Macca is remaining so close. I’m enjoying it as much as the battle at the sharp end of the grid. It’s a very exciting season to watch, and great the Merc finally has some competition and is beatable in the right conditions. Hats off to Honda — they saved the sport from another year of empty wins.
Watching F1 since 1986.

ispano6

Track is dry, sun is peaking out, it's frigging hot!

mkay
mkay

Chuckjr wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 18:32
<snipped away part>

Great job Max getting the pole. Well done and much deserved, sir. Wish Cheko could have snatched second, but the Merc is the better car this year, and he’s not as talented as Max. Looks like the set up change they are using is working well for Cheko. Great job RB. Good to have Newey back.

Great to see the fight between Ferrari and Macca is remaining so close. I’m enjoying it as much as the battle at the sharp end of the grid. It’s a very exciting season to watch, and great the Merc finally has some competition and is beatable in the right conditions. Hats off to Honda — they saved the sport from another year of empty wins.
The fact that Perez managed to qualify within 0.01s of Hamilton around this track should be a pretty clear indication that the RB was the faster car this weekend over 1 lap.

But I'm not surprised by your take given the rest of your post...

darkpino
darkpino

I hope RBR have found something after Turkey which makes Checo be more comfortable in the car. Indeed it seems that the RB16B is the quicker car this weekend but on the other end: normally Max is like .5 ahead of Checo in Q this season so it seems that either Max had some pace left or (and that’s what I think) Sergio found some speed.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

darkpino wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 18:59
I hope RBR have found something after Turkey which makes Checo be more comfortable in the car. Indeed it seems that the RB16B is the quicker car this weekend but on the other end: normally Max is like .5 ahead of Checo in Q this season so it seems that either Max had some pace left or (and that’s what I think) Sergio found some speed.
I think it was Crofty at the end of Qualifying that said that Perez has started to move more away from Maxs setup which might be why hes becoming more comfortable

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Wouter wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 11:11
_cerber1 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 10:45
Wouter wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 09:39
Nice to see how everyone makes up excuses why the W12 is not as fast as the RB16B.
Both cars were on the tarmac like a train, both equally good, but Mercedes has opened their PU completely
and Honda is always very conservative, so that PU can open even further.
Conclusion: The difference is in the PUs. Honda's PU is finally the most reliable and strongest PU on the field right now.
Where was their power at Monza and Sochi when Verstappen couldn't get past McLaren?
Mercedes has reliability issues because they open the PU way too much because they want to beat Honda.
Honda, on the other hand, did not find it necessary to release a lot of power, because they are going to release a little more power every last race. That started yesterday and the result was visible.
Hamilton only 0.015 sec faster than Perez! Perez who normally qualifies a lot slower than Max.
I wonder how many ICE's Mercedes will have to use to keep up with the reliable Honda PU.
Bottas now has 3 new PU's in the pool. That is not normal in the last part of the season!
That's what you get when you have to use the PU way too aggressively, then you can't race it for 7 races, like Honda can.

Bottas does not have 3 new engines in the pool. The engine he used in monza is definitely gone and I m pretty sure he can no longer use the one he took in Russia as well.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 19:07
darkpino wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 18:59
I think it was Crofty at the end of Qualifying that said that Perez has started to move more away from Maxs setup which might be why hes becoming more comfortable
Yeah he just needs to steer development more towards his driving style. If the car is becoming faster than the Merc by doing so rbr definitely won’t mind because it is benefiting them.

ispano6

Wtf the female interviewer didn't ask Yuki to speak in Japanese. And no Russian for Nikita either.

gastonmazzacane

ispano6 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 19:46
Wtf the female interviewer didn't ask Yuki to speak in Japanese. And no Russian for Nikita either.
And she didn't ask Lando nor Lewis to speak english :evil:

Sieper

Mercedes has been allowed to chance the set-up under parc ferme

https://www.f1maximaal.nl/formule-1/mer ... ig-circuit

Cold and cloudy today, much different than before and Mercedes is allowed to change the set-up. I can’t believe it.

atanatizante

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 15:56
RedBull are either taking a risk to go faster and hoping the floor isn't smashed, or the car simply is not as affected by the bumps (well at least the front of the car).

In FP3 and even in qualy we could see that they were working on the bottom-central part of the front wing ... cracks or just set up adjustments?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Sieper wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 19:51

Cold and cloudy today, much different than before and Mercedes is allowed to change the set-up. I can’t believe it.
I don't think the article actually says that.

dans79

Sieper wrote:

That article is garbage. It was done yesterday during fp3, not in parc ferme.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 19:58
Sieper wrote:

That article is garbage. It was done yesterday during fp3, not in parc ferme.
Yes, the article does say that, but I have since learned it was done on Saturday.

atanatizante

It`ll be interesting to see had SAI on soft tyres could jump past PER off the line at the start ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus