2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
atanatizante

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

Does anyone have some video footage with the Merc`s rear suspension "working" here?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Tizz

dans79 wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 15:25
no, these were qualifying run stints. The point is, Valtteri did his fastest lap, on lap 11 of the stint, compared to Max who did his on the second lap.

Given the fact that Valtteri did 3 fast laps, and a lot of laps in general before his fastest lap, means one of two things. Either merc has a non trivial amount of pace in hand, or they have amazingly good degradation!
There were 6 cooldown laps in this stint. They don't cause a whole lot of degradation... I don't think it means anything especially as they were nowhere near qualy-pace. To me it looked like Merc was still working with setup issues but that has happened to both Merc and RB before. I'm sure one of the more experienced Merc-development drivers has been doing simwork overnight and it will be close anyway.

PlatinumZealot

Bill_Kar wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 09:30
What's baffling is that Mercedes is a lot slower both on the high speed section and the stadium section as well.

Presumably, they have some issues riding the kerbs. I wonder whether they can do something about it or not.

But definitely, MV is, by far, the favourite here.
I have to give it to Max, he is good at riding the curbs on the borders of legality. He just about keep the outside rear tyre on the white line. This is a bit unfair for other cars that cannot do this, but what can you do? F1 drivers will exploit every inch.

I have memories of most drivers cutting curbs rather illegally from be the 2008 regs going back. Yup. I mean before the white line rules were enforced, they literally cut the track by "jumping" across tight turns. Today's cars can't quite do it wit the same effectiveness, but the RedBull and Mclaren seems nimble over the curbs compares to the lazy Mercedes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 16:09
Bill_Kar wrote:
What's baffling is that Mercedes is a lot slower both on the high speed section and the stadium section as well.

Presumably, they have some issues riding the kerbs. I wonder whether they can do something about it or not.

I have to give it to Max, he is good at riding the curbs on the borders of legality. He just about keep the outside rear tyre on the white line. This is a bit unfair for other cars that cannot do this, but what can you do? F1 drivers will exploit every inch.

I have memories of most drivers cutting curbs rather illegally from be the 2008 regs going back. Yup. I mean before the white line rules were enforced, they literally cut the track by "jumping" across tight turns. Today's cars can't quite do it wit the same effectiveness, but the RedBull and Mclaren seems nimble over the curbs compares to the lazy Mercedes.
Yeah, I agree with you mate. I mean, if it's legal, I don't care if it's borderline.

But why can RBR and McLaren do it, while Mercedes can't? Is it at least somewhat attributable to the high rake concept?
Sorry, I'm ignorant on engineering issues, it's a genuine question.

politburo
politburo

Apparently, it's slow corners. Many of the cars more than a second slower in low-speed corners in total?. That's amazing quite frankly.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Juzh

Verstappen had possibly more to come on his 1:17.619 (he was level with his PB after S2) but he had traffic in final sector in the form of Norris on a long run.

I think mercedes do have some more pace in hand, but red bull are also not running at their peak, obviously. In the end it'll be down to a a tenth or two as is tradition this year, probably in RB's favour. So far it seems unlikely perez can force himself on front row imo.

ringo

At this rate. Hamilton needs to aim tor P2 even if its 0.5s a lap slower in Q3.
If he can pick the start and stay ahead of Max on the straights he has a chance to win.
Redbull may just repeat what the did in Texas but Mercedes need to be ready to pit earlier.

Was tyre deg a factor last year?
For Sure!!

search

interesting that Mercedes takes 3 new sets of Mediums into Qualifying (and consequently only 3 sets of Softs). Not sure what's the plan there

Stu

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Bill_Kar wrote:

Why is this “unfair”? It is a legal engineered advantage.
As you say, it used to be the norm to routinely see cars with all four wheels off the ground in certain corners. Always thought that looked pretty cool for the slow-mo shots.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Shrieker

Merc don't stand a chance, rb too stronk
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Bill_Kar wrote:

I think its unfair that the Merc can squat at speed, and have their front wing fold back because others cannot do it either... :roll:

This forum sometimes... :wtf:

Tizz

ringo wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 19:21
Not really, Max had mediums and changed to hards I think in lap 5 or 6.

Ryar

ringo wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 19:21
At this rate. Hamilton needs to aim tor P2 even if its 0.5s a lap slower in Q3.
If he can pick the start and stay ahead of Max on the straights he has a chance to win.
Redbull may just repeat what the did in Texas but Mercedes need to be ready to pit earlier.

Lewis was ahead in Austin on Lap 1, yet didn't win. Besides, he is due for a DNF and I feel it would be this GP, unless they opt to change his PU components. With lack of downforce W12 is experiencing relative to RB16B, they would be in for a troubled GP with tyre deg.
Hakuna Matata!

dans79

Ryar wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 20:08
With lack of downforce W12 is experiencing relative to RB16B, they would be in for a troubled GP with tyre deg.
You have that completely reversed, Max was the one doing 2 cool down laps. That's a strong suggestion that he is working the tires hard!
201 105 104 9 9 7

atanatizante

Does here in Mexico is an advantage to start on the second row like it is in Sochi? Seems that in FP3 Merc drivers were some 15km/h faster down the long straight and this speed delta could be the reason why they are lacking downforce ...

Another reason could be that in all 3 sessions there were 4 Honda engines in the top 10 and the Merc engine teams were some way down the list (or just they were in a lower engine mode) except the factory team which choose to run a less high downforce setup in order to have a bigger top speed needed both at the start and to overtake in the race?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus