2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

Does anyone think anyone will be taking to the grass after Turn 1 ? Going round the cone is the only thing the driver has to do, and it looks like its much faster if you take some serious speed across the grass. Risky, very much so, but if your on the outside and brake a little too late , then maybe go for the grass and send it. If you come out ahead, will the stewards penalise ? If you go round the cone, then you have done nothing wrong. Alonso did it well in Russia.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 23:52
Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 23:41
grubschumi13 wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 23:36
This is Mercs race to lose
It's a long run to T1 and Max can benefit from a double tow from the Mercs. Perez and Gasly won't attack him so he can concentrate on getting close the Lewis's gearbox on the straight.

Of course, if Lewis has a bad start from P2, Max could be P2 by T1.

All still to play for.
In clean air Bottas had 10 kmh advantage over Verstappen on main straight and this will help him a lot down to T1. Basically it means as soon as VER pulls out of slipstream he's at best staying level, but more likely falling behind a car length. Unless he can take inside line there's no chance he's gonna be close enough to go around the outside of Bottas like he did back in 2017 against Vettel.
This assumes Hamilton has a bad start or something like that.
If Lewis and Max both cross to sit behind Bottas, each will be only a metre behind the car ahead. That gives Max a decent tow and then it just comes down to who blinks first.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AeroDynamic wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 23:56
Can someone breakdown how the race pace looks for the cars tomorrow?
Redbull looked faster, but Merc made it difficult to judge because they were doing some long runs on soft tires. I think this was all part of the plan;. Throw off Redbull and get them to relax, and when it matters, pounce. I don't think Redbull will have an advantage in race pace tomorrow. Max didn't have a good lap but he was never getting pole. Merc was too fast imo.

NathanOlder

Mattyw wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 23:55
Also I bet the dirty side of the grid is super dirty - assume a poor ham start and tuck in behind bot
It seems the whole track is dirty the following day, so maybe it wont be too much of a disadvantage on the inside
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

AeroDynamic

Hammerfist wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:00
AeroDynamic wrote:
Can someone breakdown how the race pace looks for the cars tomorrow?
Redbull looked faster, but Merc made it difficult to judge because they were doing some long runs on soft tires. I think this was all part of the plan;. Throw off Redbull and get them to relax, and when it matters, pounce. I don't think Redbull will have an advantage in race pace tomorrow. Max didn't have a good lap but he was never getting pole. Merc was too fast imo.
Thanks mate. Hope we get a race tomorrow and not a kamikaze at turn 1

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

NathanOlder wrote:
Does anyone think anyone will be taking to the grass after Turn 1 ? Going round the cone is the only thing the driver has to do, and it looks like its much faster if you take some serious speed across the grass. Risky, very much so, but if your on the outside and brake a little too late , then maybe go for the grass and send it. If you come out ahead, will the stewards penalise ? If you go round the cone, then you have done nothing wrong. Alonso did it well in Russia.
Any driver who tries it would have to give back any positions gained

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mattyw wrote:
Also I bet the dirty side of the grid is super dirty - assume a poor ham start and tuck in behind bot
The clean/dirty side could be key in to T1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

So max needs to jump Lewis or bully him out the way like seb did two years ago and try and secure that slip stream. And Lewis needs to get a good start to not let max jump him, and presumably the instruction for Bottas will be to move over to the inside line and relocate the tow in front of Lewis assuming Lewis is alongside max.

Mogster

AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:09
…and presumably the instruction for Bottas will be to move over to the inside line and relocate the tow in front of Lewis assuming Lewis is alongside max.
That’s assuming Bottas does has he’s told and doesn’t go rogue… :-s

nevill3

Team orders don't work for the start of a race other than don't take your team mate out!
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

NathanOlder

Mchamilton wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:04
NathanOlder wrote:
I only mention it as Alosno made positions by doing exactly this in Russia. And I dont recall anything happening.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

AeroDynamic

Mogster wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:17
AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:09
…and presumably the instruction for Bottas will be to move over to the inside line and relocate the tow in front of Lewis assuming Lewis is alongside max.
That’s assuming Bottas does has he’s told and doesn’t go rogue… :-s
Why does he need to be told that? He’d rather Lewis behind him than max.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:18
Mchamilton wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:04
NathanOlder wrote:
I only mention it as Alosno made positions by doing exactly this in Russia. And I dont recall anything happening.
Alonso gave the positions back

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
Mattyw wrote:
It seems the whole track is dirty the following day, so maybe it wont be too much of a disadvantage on the inside
Are there not other series running before them?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Big Tea wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:24
NathanOlder wrote:
Mattyw wrote:
Are there not other series running before them?
Vintage cars before fp3, hence all the oil spills and cement all over the track