2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

Open question to all before the race starts. This is a thought test.

If two drivers go into a tight turn, the following driver is on the inside and his front tyres are up to the rear tyres of the leading driver, should the following driver back out of the turn? And does the leading driver have a right to turn in and close off the apex?

I sense this will be the situation on lap 1.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Though Bottas has proven to simply make room for Max, i think he cannot afford much more of that to remain a credible driver also for his motorsport future. Also, i believe Bottas is motivated to put in a good performance @ Mexico. Obviously he knows he will hand the spot to Hamilton, and i think they'll do that as fast as possible. It's important to have a perfect start and then quickly get away from the RedBulls for them. If Bottas is able to keep Hamilton behind, and Max is more than 1 second behind Hamilton in P3 when DRS is enabled, Mercedes likely will plan out the race to build a gap to the bulls and keep in mind the potential of safety car situations. Before the flag drops, Bottas will move aside for Hamilton, or Bottas will be sacrificed tactically to block Max.

Max is crumbling under the pressure and the car is sliding everywhere so it's going to be a hassle to keep that thing on the road and as such it's questionable that they can challenge Mercedes at all.

If however Max DOES get in the risk of getting in DRS range, Bottas will move for Hamilton, so that he can blast away and Valterri will be the road block to Verstappen.
It's going to be paramount that Bottas makes sure Max stays behind. I wouldn't even be surprised if Bottas gets the suggestion to make a judgement call on moving more than normally permitted (blocking), perhaps even take the risk of a time penalty. After all, if Max is going to overtake him anyway, then with the gap they can normally make the position will be safe anyway, BUT holding up Max long enough will make sure Hamilton gets a big enough gap to lose pressure and improve his winning chances.

BTW i dunno if Max reffered to Tsunoda (likely) or Perez being an idiot, but in the end Max really had no yellow flags nor was he really hampered by that incident except for missing his tow so he only has himself to blame (apart from a slippery car).

I am still surprised on that incident though, Tsunoda was not at all 'close' to Perez, so Perez must have been (as Sky reports) taken out of his moment and distracted by the situation and prepared for an incident. locking up and going straight then ruined his lap, and ultimately also took Max chance on a tow.

Should be a 1-2 for Mercedes, which would make the championship standings (expecting Hamilton to take a fastest lap too) in that case, if Ham 1 Bot 2 and Max 3,
would see Verstappen still leading with just 1 point.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Juzh wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 11:36
Marty_Y wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 05:43
Shrieker wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 05:23

Yep, Tsu mucked up Checo's run, and the 2 going off and kicking dust in the air in turn, ruined Max's.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... rIYQ0.html
On the second runs, home favourite Perez ran wide when he got distracted by AlphaTauri’s Yuki Tsunoda running off in front of him, which put him out of pole contention to the dismay of tens of thousands of fans who only have eyes for him.

His team mate Verstappen wasn’t far behind and had to back off slightly as a result of the Mexican’s off, but the reality is he was unlikely to have had the pace to challenge for pole anyway.
Despite looking dominant in practice, Max never looked like he was getting pole in qualification today, Mercedes were getting the soft and mediums working better than red bull.
Just before Tsunoda/perez distraction Verstappen was around 3 tenths up compared to his first Q3 lap, so pole was on the table, even if difficult. It's not a foregone conclusion he couldn't do it. These official articles posted on f1.com are always poorly researched because they have to be pumped out fast.
I agree about the articles being rushed, I haven't got the mini sectors times but all that I've seen and read seem to say it's very unlikely Max would have got pole. This article says he was just 0.2 seconds up on his previous best.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59195054
Verstappen had been 0.35secs off Bottas on the first run. By the mid-point of his final lap, he was still slower than Bottas' time, but was up by 0.2secs on his own previous lap - and with the stadium section, where he had been so strong all weekend, still to come.

atanatizante

Austin 2021 track temperatures and medium tyres tested:
(21.5 psi (front) | 19.0 psi (rear); camber -3.50° (front) | -2.00° (rear))
Delta between tyres: S - 0,5s - M - 0,7s - H

FP1: 31-32 C; no M tyres tested by RB or MERC
FP2: 37-34 C; PER & VER did 19 laps, BOT & HAM did 16 laps
FP3: 35-38 C; no M tyres tested by RB or MERC
Q2: 36-37 C; BOT, HAM & VER did 3 laps
Race:37 C, VER did only 10 laps and was quicker than HAM with maybe 2-3 tenths/lap,
although the race sims analysis said it`s the other way around ...

Mexico 2021 track temperatures and medium tyres tested:
(19.5 psi (front) | 19.5 psi (rear); camber -3.50° (front) | -2.00° (rear))
Delta between tyres: S - 0,6s - M - 0,6s - H

FP1: 38-42 C; no M tyres tested by RB or MERC
FP2: 42-39 C; PER & VER did 19 & 20 laps, MERC drivers no tests
FP3: 35-40 C; no M tyres tested by RB or MERC
Q2: 46-45 C; PER & VER did 3 laps, BOT 5 laps and HAM 6 laps (2 stints of 3 laps)

Could someone use these data and do some proper and deep analysis?
And, obviously, tell us the results :) ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Gillian
Gillian

Manoah2u wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 15:36

Max is crumbling under the pressure and the car is sliding everywhere so it's going to be a hassle to keep that thing on the road and as such it's questionable that they can challenge Mercedes at all.

BTW i dunno if Max reffered to Tsunoda (likely) or Perez being an idiot, but in the end Max really had no yellow flags nor was he really hampered by that incident except for missing his tow so he only has himself to blame (apart from a slippery car).

Crumbling under pressure? Based on what do you come to this conclusion? :|

2 cars went off the track right before Verstappen but he was not hampered? Are you being serious?

dans79

Gillian wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 16:34
2 cars went off the track right before Verstappen but he was not hampered? Are you being serious?
They weren't in his path, and he had no yellow flags.

Not to mention based on the onboards he showed no signs of backing off.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... tu3lv.html

What hurt him more than anything else was the lock up in the stadium section, and that is on him and him alone!
201 105 104 9 9 7

dans79

Not to mention how this is not a penalty is beyond me, he literally drove off the track for no legitimate reason, even though he was already driving slowly!

201 105 104 9 9 7

search

Perez says that he got Verstappen's damaged rear wing after FP3, and the car didn't feel the same anymore afterwards

https://es.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez ... o/6755091/

Could potentially be an issue today as well then. Surprising to see that they are so short on spare parts

ringo

dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 16:45
Gillian wrote:

What hurt him more than anything else was the lock up in the stadium section, and that is on him and him alone!
Exactly. he had no reasons to slow down. He was just overwhelmed.
And the cracks started to show when Checo went P1 in Q1. Max started to overdrive the car and went even slower. That's where it started going all downhill.
Perez was legitimately disteacted by the dust cloud from Tsunoda. Whereas Max had no reason to stop his lap. Nonethless his lap was not coming together well up to that point as he wasnt driving as cleanly as he was from the very first q1 lap. He just had a really poor qualifying and no shame in that.
I know in the race he will be very strong.
In fact he may try and take P1 in Turn 1.
If he doesnt he has the whole race to get ahead of mercedes, who im not convinced will go well in the race. I think their tyres may be outside the window for the first 2 laps.
For Sure!!

ringo

I do not think Yuki did anything wrong.
He was not blocking anyone.
The dust was the problem really. Just an unfortunate circumstance.
It would have been very tricky to stay on the trick in that section for yuki while not obstructing perez and max.
For Sure!!

bosyber
bosyber

ringo wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 17:25
I do not think Yuki did anything wrong.
He was not blocking anyone.
The dust was the problem really. Just an unfortunate circumstance.
It would have been very tricky to stay on the trick in that section for yuki while not obstructing perez and max.
Yeah, that's my feeling too. If there was a mistake on his side, it was the team not telling him Perez and Verstappen were coming sooner so he'd have been able to let them past before that point (and after that the corners coming would have hampered Perez a lot more if he hadn't gone off, so that wasn't really an option either).

Gillian
Gillian

dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 16:45
Gillian wrote:

Not saying he would have gotten pole but on his second run he did 27.140 vs 27.280 and then he lifted a bit while passing Tsunoda and Perez which caused him to loose some time. It was impossible to get pole after that. Lap hampered.

Wouter

dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 16:49
Not to mention how this is not a penalty is beyond me, he literally drove off the track for no legitimate reason, even though he was already driving slowly!

You've said this more times now, including in another (RBR) thread. If I were you, I'd call the stewards. #-o

Perez approached at high speed. Had Yuki not swerved, it could have resulted in a crash. He didn't do anything wrong.
He avoided a crash on the track.
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 17:38
You've said this more times now, including in another (RBR) thread. If I were you, I'd call the stewards. #-o
I said it one other time, and it is against the rules!

Considering is supposedly hurt the Red Bull drivers chance at locking out the front row, you would think more people would be questioning it!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Wouter

dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 17:43
Wouter wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 17:38
I said it one other time, and it is against the rules!

Considering is supposedly hurt the Red Bull drivers chance at locking out the front row, you would think more people would be questioning it!

From the Sporting regulations.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -07-12.pdf

Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not leave the
track without a justifiable reason.'
His justifiable reason was to avoid a crash, as Perez approached at high speed, so Yuki had to go aside.
The Power of Dreams!