2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Snorked
Snorked

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Mercedes confirm Hamilton engine change.

Anything other than a 1 2 will be a total failure this weekend.

etusch

Snorked wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 18:37
Mercedes confirm Hamilton engine change.

Anything other than a 1 2 will be a total failure this weekend.
1-2-3 better

ringo

With Gasly?
For Sure!!

etusch

yep. just like mexico without ham between them

godlameroso

Let's see what happens when we turn it up a notch.
Saishū kōnā

AeroDynamic

Just saw CH say that the Honda loses no more than a tenth of performance between the beginning and ends of its life. that sounds seriously impressive!

RonMexico
RonMexico

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 21:47
Just saw CH say that the Honda loses no more than a tenth of performance between the beginning and ends of its life. that sounds seriously impressive!
I am open to correction but I thought that was the standard degradation for these engines upto this year, I believe the Mercedes is an anomaly this year whatever they are upto with the engine

ringo

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 21:47
That's not surprising. If you have 1000 hp and lose 100 that's noticeable. I think Mercedes power loss is not linear. After a certain point the performance plummets as the engine continues to be used. This may well be the difference between the materials used by Honda. The Honda may have superior materials that wear less and maintain better clearances.
For Sure!!

Wouter

Honda’s Formula 1 technical chief Toyoharu Tanabe says he ‘cannot believe’ the run of engine penalties that rival Mercedes is facing in the closing stages of the season.

[ ..... ]

“The current plan is we can manage the PUs the rest of the season for all drivers,” he said. “We had some accidents during the season and then lose some PUs, but at the moment, we have a sufficient number of units for all drivers.”

Asked if he reckoned Honda could have completed the full season on just three power units without the unexpected crash damage, Tanabe said: “I believe yes.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... s/6774445/
The Power of Dreams!

Ryar

Wouter wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 12:16
Honda’s Formula 1 technical chief Toyoharu Tanabe says he ‘cannot believe’ the run of engine penalties that rival Mercedes is facing in the closing stages of the season.

[ ..... ]

“The current plan is we can manage the PUs the rest of the season for all drivers,” he said. “We had some accidents during the season and then lose some PUs, but at the moment, we have a sufficient number of units for all drivers.”

Asked if he reckoned Honda could have completed the full season on just three power units without the unexpected crash damage, Tanabe said: “I believe yes.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... s/6774445/
I doubt if Mercedes is changing the engine parts because of reliability. I suspect there is something else going on with regards to gaining performance with some shady means. Bottas has been testing multiple iterations of the parts, which I doubt if all of that was for reliability related.
Hakuna Matata!

bigblue

I don't know. It's pretty odd, you're not supposed to be able to change spec more than once in a season, except for reliability reasons (and then I think you must inform the FIA what you've done, and other teams also get to know ?). So, assuming Mercedes changed spec at the start of the season, the only thing they're allowed to do is reliability updates. So either they did that, or it's the same spec, just new ? People like to jump to "new spec" conclusions on various F1 websites, but there should be evidence of a reliability update ?

Ryar

Anyone have any further news on Newey's discussion with FIA over Mercedes' flexing?
Hakuna Matata!

hkbruin
hkbruin

Ham will start the sprint race from the back or pit lane. Max fined 50k euro for touching the wing during parc ferme. 3 points on the table for winning the sprint race. Things looking good for Max.

tpe
tpe

No idea, but in FP2, watching LH car it LOOKED like the space between the RW pillars and the flaps were increasingin the straight and decreased in the corners.
It could be my idea, of course, but you never know.

godlameroso

The pass has to be planned before hand, compromise the lead car into turn 1 and make the pass into 4.
Saishū kōnā