2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Mclaren as a car was able to take the fight to Mercedes and Red Bull in various races. What happened these last 4 races and the car was left that much behind?

Proteus better forget about it. Aparently this kind of driving is accepted.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Forgive the stupid question- but is HAMs car a new, upgraded ICE? (Like Ferraris in season upgrade to ERS?)

If it is- we should consider taking a penalty for it right on today’s performance?

mwillems

Xero wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 20:33
Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 20:29
I don't think that upgrade is so much of a fuss that everyone should make. They aren't moping the floor with Mclaren. At best they gained half a tenth to one tenth. However Ferrari were more consistent with both Lando and Daniel especially Daniel throwing many points to the trash. We might have secured that 3rd place by now.
No point looking for excuses! Fact is the car is inconsistent and difficult to drive. The recent changes they've made to setup has helped Daniel, but it seems its lost that edge that Lando made work all season.
Have there been many updates since the summer break? I think Lando is just a little bit off at the moment, which is fine since he was so on it for the first 2/3rds of the year. Daniel has found some speed and confidence with the car so he's closer still.

But it is a throwaway year and everyone seems to be forgetting that we have still smashed last years points haul, considerably.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 21:11
Have there been many updates since the summer break? I think Lando is just a little bit off at the moment, which is fine since he was so on it for the first 2/3rds of the year. Daniel has found some speed and confidence with the car so he's closer still.

But it is a throwaway year and everyone seems to be forgetting that we have still smashed last years points haul, considerably.
It's incredibly frustrating because not only are they miles away from Ferrari, they are also falling back into cars that were not anywhere near McLaren's pace a couple of races ago. It's like they have thrown the towel. It genuinely feels like they have gone backwards.

It would have been far easier to cope with the loss if they had remained stagnant in terms of pace, but lose it because Ferrari just gained that much on them. But like this, it seems like they are fu*king themselves over each race. Can't get more annoying than this.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

I believe a big issue has been with the starting positions… The MCL35M seems to be hampered considerably when following another car, losing too much downforce and damaging its tires, therefore not capable of showing it’s pace.

McLaren’s good races have came from starting up the grid, been able to conserve the tires and keeping a good pace… In the last few races, the lack of one lap pace has forced them to start in the middle of the pact and struggle to keep up with the cars in front… As long as that continues to be the case, they will continue to struggle.

The positive is that this issues shouldn’t transfer to next year’s car and hopefully we will be in a better spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trinidefender
trinidefender

Dirty drive by Leclerc there. Squeezed Lando off track completely deliberately then after had the gall after to claim he was squeezed. It was clear from the overhead that he did that on purpose and was miles away from anyone else.

How in the world did the stewards consider that a racing incident?

CjC
CjC

Mansell89 wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 21:06
Forgive the stupid question- but is HAMs car a new, upgraded ICE? (Like Ferraris in season upgrade to ERS?)

If it is- we should consider taking a penalty for it right on today’s performance?
From my understand Mercedes can’t upgrade their engine/ ICE/ PU like Ferrari did.
I Believe Merc upgrade all of their elements this season before the first race where as Ferrari didn’t and ran some of this seasons components with last years spec
Just a fan's point of view

Mansell89
Mansell89

CjC wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 22:10
Mansell89 wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 21:06

From my understand Mercedes can’t upgrade their engine/ ICE/ PU like Ferrari did.
I Believe Merc upgrade all of their elements this season before the first race where as Ferrari didn’t and ran some of this seasons components with last years spec
Well this was my understanding -but this weekends performance was frankly outrageous to “just” be a fresh PU?

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 20:48
Mclaren as a car was able to take the fight to Mercedes and Red Bull in various races. What happened these last 4 races and the car was left that much behind?

Proteus better forget about it. Aparently this kind of driving is accepted.
I don't think they were as weak as you suggest at Brazil, they just got unlucky. That being said the McLaren Chassis isn't as versitile as RBR and Merc. So there are things that he McLaren chassis does really well and when there are enough of those things at a specific track, they can battle with the big boys. When there aren't, they can't.

McLaren strenth is thier Rear. it's probabably top 3. They are very strong at rear limited tracks. Thier front end isn't anywhre as strong, it's probaly weaker than Alpine's front end.

Xero

mwillems wrote:
Xero wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 20:29
I don't think that upgrade is so much of a fuss that everyone should make. They aren't moping the floor with Mclaren. At best they gained half a tenth to one tenth. However Ferrari were more consistent with both Lando and Daniel especially Daniel throwing many points to the trash. We might have secured that 3rd place by now.
No point looking for excuses! Fact is the car is inconsistent and difficult to drive. The recent changes they've made to setup has helped Daniel, but it seems its lost that edge that Lando made work all season.

Not upgrades, just adjustments of what's already there. I think they want both drivers on the same baseline to help with car setup each weekend. Having both go off in different directions would be problematic. Seidl confirmed a few races ago that they did them to help Daniel out, likely suspension/damper related.

I think we need to look at the positives too. Daniel at Mexico was close to entering turn 1 of lap in 4th place, unfortunate collision. Lando was close today to entering turn 1 of lap 1 in 3rd place, again unfortunate collision. Not saying they could have kept those positions, but they would have at least given Ferrari a proper run for their money.

diffuser

Xero wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 01:27
mwillems wrote:
Xero wrote:

Not upgrades, just adjustments of what's already there. I think they want both drivers on the same baseline to help with car setup each weekend. Having both go off in different directions would be problematic. Seidl confirmed a few races ago that they did them to help Daniel out, likely suspension/damper related.

I think we need to look at the positives too. Daniel at Mexico was close to entering turn 1 of lap in 4th place, unfortunate collision. Lando was close today to entering turn 1 of lap 1 in 3rd place, again unfortunate collision. Not saying they could have kept those positions, but they would have at least given Ferrari a proper run for their money.
Agree. Nobody outside of Merc and RBR have any upgrades in a while. The Car threads are pretty quiet when normally you'd see a ton of picture/activity after a 2 week break between races.

runningmanz
runningmanz

CjC wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 16:09
Emag wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 23:35
To be honest, I am angrier at Perez. Ferrari got an extra point today because he was incompetent. I know I am being harsh, but on the hands of his teammate RedBull was a second per lap faster than the Ferrari of Carlos.

His failure to overtake him cost us today. It puts Carlos at a great grid spot for tomorrow and obviously it gave Ferrari 1 extra point.
It’s frustrating isn’t it.
I know I’m not driver or race engineer but his late lunges into turn one :roll: come on it doesn’t take a genius to think that there are 2 DRS zones and maybe I need to set myself better going into turn 1 and have a better exit through turn 3 to be further into Sainz slipstream, then DRS, then get the move done into turn 4. Instead he just kept lunging at Sainz left rear tyre into turn 1 :roll:

This is why Mclaren claimed P3 last season it was mainly through having 2 higher calibre drivers, driving the joint 4th fastest car - although Perez won a race in the 3rd fastest car he and Stroll loved a crash during the race and we just don’t see that from Leclerc and Sainz this season.
*This isn’t a Ricciardo bashing*
This season if Norris and Sainz were driving this Mclaren, they would be home and dry now with P3.
A major ingredient for Ferraris success to P3 is the signing of Sainz.

This didn't age well esp after the Carlos and Lando lap 1 incident today. Sounds like a bit of a Ricciardo bash to me. His move in Mexico into T1 at the time was on, in hindsight after Bottas braked early obviously not but thats racing you win some you lose some. Its not like he didn't make the corner and was actually turning in too not locked up,so it wasn't some sort of out of control torpedo into the side ala Stroll. Would rather him have a go and make up 3 or so places like that than not. He has made similar moves like that stick many times before and is one of the cleanest wheel to wheel racers in F1. As for calling Sainz and Lando higher calibre drivers thats way premature and a bit disrespectful to an 8 times GP winner and one who just got Mclaren thier first win in almost 10 years. You could mount a very good case that Dan has been the better performing driver since the summer break after a difficult period adjusting to a vastly different car driving style than what he was used to.

Besides that while 3rd would be nice its not the be all and end all with 4th gaining extra aero testing time next year, so not a total loss if we don't achieve it. Next year is the big one and we look to be in a good place esp given how handicapped we were with the stupid token rules this season. In time people will probably only remember the drought breaking Monza win anyway this year.

Anyway a weekend to forget again. Lando just made a mistake moving back across to early. It can happen and not worthy of a bollocking. Dan was doing quite well and made some good progress. Apparently they were trying stuff to manage the PU issue so I guess that could have been around the time he dropped back from Gasly. A real shame because he possibly had a chance to jump the Ferrari's who were on a two stopper.
Last edited by runningmanz on 15 Nov 2021, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 21:58
Dirty drive by Leclerc there. Squeezed Lando off track completely deliberately then after had the gall after to claim he was squeezed. It was clear from the overhead that he did that on purpose and was miles away from anyone else.

How in the world did the stewards consider that a racing incident?
It was Sainz not Leclerc. Norris went across the white line on his own, to get around Sainz. Sainz squeezed him but left him room. Norris got passed Sainz but cut across to early.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Do we have a discussion about this: https://www.motor1.com/news/547758/bmw- ... claren-f1/?

CjC
CjC

runningmanz wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 02:45
CjC wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 16:09
Emag wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 23:35
To be honest, I am angrier at Perez. Ferrari got an extra point today because he was incompetent. I know I am being harsh, but on the hands of his teammate RedBull was a second per lap faster than the Ferrari of Carlos.

His failure to overtake him cost us today. It puts Carlos at a great grid spot for tomorrow and obviously it gave Ferrari 1 extra point.
It’s frustrating isn’t it.
I know I’m not driver or race engineer but his late lunges into turn one :roll: come on it doesn’t take a genius to think that there are 2 DRS zones and maybe I need to set myself better going into turn 1 and have a better exit through turn 3 to be further into Sainz slipstream, then DRS, then get the move done into turn 4. Instead he just kept lunging at Sainz left rear tyre into turn 1 :roll:

This is why Mclaren claimed P3 last season it was mainly through having 2 higher calibre drivers, driving the joint 4th fastest car - although Perez won a race in the 3rd fastest car he and Stroll loved a crash during the race and we just don’t see that from Leclerc and Sainz this season.
*This isn’t a Ricciardo bashing*
This season if Norris and Sainz were driving this Mclaren, they would be home and dry now with P3.
A major ingredient for Ferraris success to P3 is the signing of Sainz.

This didn't age well esp after the Carlos and Lando lap 1 incident today. Sounds like a bit of a Ricciardo bash to me. His move in Mexico into T1 at the time was on, in hindsight after Bottas braked early obviously not but thats racing you win some you lose some. Its not like he didn't make the corner and was actually turning in too not locked up,so it wasn't some sort of out of control torpedo into the side ala Stroll. Would rather him have a go and make up 3 or so places like that than not. He has made similar moves like that stick many times before and is one of the cleanest wheel to wheel racers in F1. As for calling Sainz and Lando higher calibre drivers thats way premature and a bit disrespectful to an 8 times GP winner and one who just got Mclaren thier first win in almost 10 years. You could mount a very good case that Dan has been the better performing driver since the summer break after a difficult period adjusting to a vastly different car driving style than what he was used to.

Besides that while 3rd would be nice its not the be all and end all with 4th gaining extra aero testing time next year, so not a total loss if we don't achieve it. Next year is the big one and we look to be in a good place esp given how handicapped we were with the stupid token rules this season. In time people will probably only remember the drought breaking Monza win anyway this year.

Anyway a weekend to forget again. Lando just made a mistake moving back across to early. It can happen and not worthy of a bollocking. Dan was doing quite well and made some good progress. Apparently they were trying stuff to manage the PU issue so I guess that could have been around the time he dropped back from Gasly. A real shame because he possibly had a chance to jump the Ferrari's who were on a two stopper.
It wasn’t a Ricciardo bash.
It’s funny in trying not to bash anyone I feel like I have to now :lol:
It was more of a Perez bashing because he couldn’t overtake Sainz in a superior Red Bull

In regard to Sainz and Norris being a higher caliber of driver I was comparing them to the main opposition last season. The Mclaren combo was superior to Perez/ Stroll and Ricciardo/ Ocon- that’s the reason why I feel Mclaren won the battle for the mid-field with the joint 4th fastest car. Ocon struggled to match Rics pace, Perez and Stroll liked a good crash during the race- as I said we don’t see that with the current Ferrari pair. Yes there was contact yesterday into turn 1 but that favoured Ferrari rather than working against them where as last season when there was contact for racing point and Renault it favoured Mclaren.
I’m just saying the tables have turned 180 this season and nothing is falling right for Mclaren.

I avoid commenting on Ric because I’m a fan of his prior to him joining the team and I had high hopes for the season, other than the Monza win which was amazing it hasn’t been the best of seasons for him which is frustrating.

I stand my comment that Sainz and Norris in this Mclaren would have Mclaren home and dry now. However I’m unsure what the outcome would be if Leclerc and Ricciardo were teammates this season at Ferrari
Just a fan's point of view