2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

“We had a power loss on track,” said Seidl, “and in the initial investigation we found a technical issue, a crack on the chassis side of the power unit installation, which we now need to investigate.” Seidl said the team will probe the failure more deeply once it has completed the long journey to Qatar for the next race.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/11/15/mcl ... ower-loss/

runningmanz
runningmanz

CjC wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 08:44
runningmanz wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 02:45
CjC wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 16:09

It’s frustrating isn’t it.
I know I’m not driver or race engineer but his late lunges into turn one :roll: come on it doesn’t take a genius to think that there are 2 DRS zones and maybe I need to set myself better going into turn 1 and have a better exit through turn 3 to be further into Sainz slipstream, then DRS, then get the move done into turn 4. Instead he just kept lunging at Sainz left rear tyre into turn 1 :roll:

This is why Mclaren claimed P3 last season it was mainly through having 2 higher calibre drivers, driving the joint 4th fastest car - although Perez won a race in the 3rd fastest car he and Stroll loved a crash during the race and we just don’t see that from Leclerc and Sainz this season.
*This isn’t a Ricciardo bashing*
This season if Norris and Sainz were driving this Mclaren, they would be home and dry now with P3.
A major ingredient for Ferraris success to P3 is the signing of Sainz.

This didn't age well esp after the Carlos and Lando lap 1 incident today. Sounds like a bit of a Ricciardo bash to me. His move in Mexico into T1 at the time was on, in hindsight after Bottas braked early obviously not but thats racing you win some you lose some. Its not like he didn't make the corner and was actually turning in too not locked up,so it wasn't some sort of out of control torpedo into the side ala Stroll. Would rather him have a go and make up 3 or so places like that than not. He has made similar moves like that stick many times before and is one of the cleanest wheel to wheel racers in F1. As for calling Sainz and Lando higher calibre drivers thats way premature and a bit disrespectful to an 8 times GP winner and one who just got Mclaren thier first win in almost 10 years. You could mount a very good case that Dan has been the better performing driver since the summer break after a difficult period adjusting to a vastly different car driving style than what he was used to.

Besides that while 3rd would be nice its not the be all and end all with 4th gaining extra aero testing time next year, so not a total loss if we don't achieve it. Next year is the big one and we look to be in a good place esp given how handicapped we were with the stupid token rules this season. In time people will probably only remember the drought breaking Monza win anyway this year.

Anyway a weekend to forget again. Lando just made a mistake moving back across to early. It can happen and not worthy of a bollocking. Dan was doing quite well and made some good progress. Apparently they were trying stuff to manage the PU issue so I guess that could have been around the time he dropped back from Gasly. A real shame because he possibly had a chance to jump the Ferrari's who were on a two stopper.
It wasn’t a Ricciardo bash.
It’s funny in trying not to bash anyone I feel like I have to now :lol:
It was more of a Perez bashing because he couldn’t overtake Sainz in a superior Red Bull

In regard to Sainz and Norris being a higher caliber of driver I was comparing them to the main opposition last season. The Mclaren combo was superior to Perez/ Stroll and Ricciardo/ Ocon- that’s the reason why I feel Mclaren won the battle for the mid-field with the joint 4th fastest car. Ocon struggled to match Rics pace, Perez and Stroll liked a good crash during the race- as I said we don’t see that with the current Ferrari pair. Yes there was contact yesterday into turn 1 but that favoured Ferrari rather than working against them where as last season when there was contact for racing point and Renault it favoured Mclaren.
I’m just saying the tables have turned 180 this season and nothing is falling right for Mclaren.

I avoid commenting on Ric because I’m a fan of his prior to him joining the team and I had high hopes for the season, other than the Monza win which was amazing it hasn’t been the best of seasons for him which is frustrating.

I stand my comment that Sainz and Norris in this Mclaren would have Mclaren home and dry now. However I’m unsure what the outcome would be if Leclerc and Ricciardo were teammates this season at Ferrari
Yeah fair enough for clarifying a bit however Dan has like I said arguably been the better peforming driver since the summer break. While its probably true Carlos and Lando might have had 3rd wrapped up its probably to be expected given Dan had no time in the new car and has come from much different handling cars. Also he did bring the win at Monza because he knows how to win races so can't discount that this year. I think with the car development swinging a bit more towards Ricciardo too we might be on track for a more balanced and better car given his experience with many different cars which Andreas Stella mentioned recently. Thats not to say Landos input isn't important just that Dan brings a different perspective and set of experience from the likes of RBR as well. Anyway I don't think we were far off Ferrari last two races we never got to show our hands for various annoying reasons.

Emag
Emag

There's no way to sugarcoat it. Daniel has been a major disappointment this season.

Hopefully the real Daniel awakens next year with the new cars.

Emag
Emag

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/busi ... la-1-entry

Seems like we were bought out. Hopefully they don't get rid of the McLaren name/brand alltogether.

AMG.Tzan

Emag wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 13:07

Seems like we were bought out. Hopefully they don't get rid of the McLaren name/brand alltogether.
Oh God...was about to post it!

What on earth?? Why buy the whole team instead of just giving them an engine?? I expected Audi to partner Red Bull and Porsche maybe partner Williams! Wow :shock:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Lucky
Lucky

Emag wrote:

great news

AMG.Tzan

Emag wrote:

I don't think they'll get rid of the name/brand cause there's absolutely no point in doing such thing!

Apart from that look at Lamborghini and Rimac...VW doesn't change names when buying out big manufacturers it seems!! :P
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Lucky
Lucky

AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 13:12
Emag wrote:

Oh God...was about to post it!

What on earth?? Why buy the whole team instead of just giving them an engine?? I expected Audi to partner Red Bull and Porsche maybe partner Williams! Wow :shock:
Not the team, but the entire McLaren Group

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

That's a fairly big swerveball eh?

So, VW > Audi owned subsidiary brand Mclaren is to use Mercedes engines is it?? Hmmmm
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

_cerber1

Emag wrote:

I think it's a little BS

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

So McLaren brand should end very soon in F1 2025?

JordanMugen

CMSMJ1 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 13:58

So, VW > Audi owned subsidiary brand Mclaren is to use Mercedes engines is it?? Hmmmm
For the time-being yes, for the longer term probably not. It's quite the interesting development!

I guess Audi will want McLaren and Lamborghini to align their hybrid powertrains, engines and battery electric powertrains they are using in their road sportscars for economies of scale. If McLaren continues to operate independently and doesn't just sell rebadged Audi R8s with different bodywork, then the takeover is nothing too bad I suppose. Though it is a shame that McLaren will no longer operate independently.

ReoPTy wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:08
So McLaren brand should end very soon in F1 2025?
Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to say!

It might be a case of closing the UK McLaren road car factory and moving production to Italy or German on the same production line as other Audi or Lamborghini sportscar models for instance. Or maybe, conversely, some of the Audis and Lamborghinis will roll through the McLaren facility in the UK? Who knows!

Perhaps one of the first developments will be a McLaren SUV, i.e., a McLaren-styled version of the Lamborghini Urus aka Porsche Cayenne aka Audi Q7?
Last edited by JordanMugen on 15 Nov 2021, 14:14, edited 3 times in total.

SiLo

CMSMJ1 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 13:58

Technically Porsche are the biggest stakeholder in the VW group, which owns Audi, which now owns McLaren...
Felipe Baby!

SiLo

Audi might become an engine supplier for the McLaren team, I doubt they would rebrand McLaren as its already a huge brand inside F1 with a massive fanbase.
Felipe Baby!

mwillems

Xero wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 01:27
mwillems wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 21:11
Xero wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 20:33

No point looking for excuses! Fact is the car is inconsistent and difficult to drive. The recent changes they've made to setup has helped Daniel, but it seems its lost that edge that Lando made work all season.
Have there been many updates since the summer break? I think Lando is just a little bit off at the moment, which is fine since he was so on it for the first 2/3rds of the year. Daniel has found some speed and confidence with the car so he's closer still.

But it is a throwaway year and everyone seems to be forgetting that we have still smashed last years points haul, considerably.
Not upgrades, just adjustments of what's already there. I think they want both drivers on the same baseline to help with car setup each weekend. Having both go off in different directions would be problematic. Seidl confirmed a few races ago that they did them to help Daniel out, likely suspension/damper related.

I think we need to look at the positives too. Daniel at Mexico was close to entering turn 1 of lap in 4th place, unfortunate collision. Lando was close today to entering turn 1 of lap 1 in 3rd place, again unfortunate collision. Not saying they could have kept those positions, but they would have at least given Ferrari a proper run for their money.
Hence I don't think that car has been brought away from Lando and to Daniel. They made some changes prior to the summer break, but Lando's drop in form came after those changes it seems. Daniel has just been improving nicely.

Completely agree on the positives, though. The team has done very well and we are capable of competing at the sharp end still. I think folks are naturally a bit disappointed that 3rd has got away from us so much over the last 2 races. I'm sure there will be plenty of hard racing to come.

I particularly enjoying the championship battle. I haven't been a Hamilton fan really, but I particularly don't like Max's style and arrogance so I'm hoping for our former Mclaren Alumni to win this years title.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit