2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Emag wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 13:07
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/busi ... la-1-entry

Seems like we were bought out. Hopefully they don't get rid of the McLaren name/brand alltogether.
They bought the road cars too, allegedly. So they wouldn't get rid of the Marque in F1. Most likely they'd tag their engines in 2026 or whenever they are released and put their name in as a title sponsor.

Big news for Mclaren, and this could rive us to great success. But I'm a little sad if it is true, to be merged into another German monster carmaker.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Sevach
Sevach

CMSMJ1 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 13:58
That's a fairly big swerveball eh?

So, VW > Audi owned subsidiary brand Mclaren is to use Mercedes engines is it?? Hmmmm
The rumors (which i didn't belive last week), Porsche associates with Red Bull, the so called "Red Bull powertrains"(also known as Honda) become Porsche, except when it comes to Mclaren where they'll be rebranded Audi.

godlameroso

Lamborghini competes with McLaren, I wonder how VW group is going to sort that out.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Sevach wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:30
CMSMJ1 wrote:

So, VW > Audi owned subsidiary brand Mclaren is to use Mercedes engines is it?? Hmmmm
The rumors (which i didn't belive last week), Porsche associates with Red Bull, the so called "Red Bull powertrains"(also known as Honda) become Porsche, except when it comes to Mclaren where they'll be rebranded Audi.
Red Bull power trains will be more capable than you think.
Saishū kōnā

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Sevach
Sevach

godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:32
Sevach wrote:
CMSMJ1 wrote:

There was no statement on capability of said engines at all in my post nor it was intended to be read like a snyde/sarcastic comment.

Just relating the rumors who might be materializing, where Mclaren engines will come from, that sort of thing.

JordanMugen

godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:31
Lamborghini competes with McLaren, I wonder how VW group is going to sort that out.
Seat competes with Skoda. It is not a problem. :)

AMG.Tzan

godlameroso wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:31
Just like they've sorted VW vs Seat vs Skoda out and many other in-house "competitions" (i.e. Porsche vs Lamborghini)! I don't think VW has any intentions of changing Mclaren's brand name and image. They just want all the income it generates!

I don't think VW has ever changed a brand name when acquiring big brand names! There's absolutely no advantage whatsoever in doing that! They didn't even change the name of Rimac (which doesn't sound really nice compared to Bugatti to be fair :lol: ) so I don't see any reason to be afraid of the Mclaren name and brand ceasing to exist!

The whole Audi-acquiring move is a good thing for Mclaren I believe. For some reason these manufacturers Mclaren, Aston Martin) keep losing money even though they sell stakes and get cash injections! So I believe Audi acquiring Mclaren will at last secure their future!

Anyway, I hope this acquisition comes true cause it will mean Audi and most likely Porsche also, will be in Formula 1 by 2026! That's a huge development and a huge win for Formula 1 itself after so many decades of trying to lure VW in! Hopefully Honda returns also... :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Sevach wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:38
godlameroso wrote:
Sevach wrote:

There was no statement on capability of said engines at all in my post nor it was intended to be read like a snyde/sarcastic comment.

Just relating the rumors who might be materializing, where Mclaren engines will come from, that sort of thing.
I didn't read it snyde at all :-s

I think that if this turns to be a fact based rumour then there are some issues in future.

1: McLaren are well regarded for what they are and have been - a racing entity. Becoming a brand in VAG dilutes and for me, my gut instinct says I don't like it. I suspect many other fans of this team won't like it either? I guess this thread will shed some light on that..

2: Engines - if Porsche takes over Red Bull Powertrains - how does that marry with VAG having an F1 team of it's own in need of motors. Either RBR is going to be the 'works' consumer of the ex RBT engines (badged Porsche) or Porsche are going to supply engines to McLaren as 'works team'?

How that shakes out? Who knows... but makes no sense to VAG to buy an engine faciluty for 2026 and then oly have a suppy arrangement with its 'own' team.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

214270 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:47
McLarens statement.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/inside-t ... ment-sale/
=D>

Interesting - so who started it?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

CMSMJ1 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:51
214270 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:47
McLarens statement.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/inside-t ... ment-sale/
=D>

Interesting - so who started it?
Autocar were the first to report it; they’ve now revised their original article.

Sevach
Sevach

CMSMJ1 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:50
Sevach wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:38
godlameroso wrote:

I didn't read it snyde at all :-s

I think that if this turns to be a fact based rumour then there are some issues in future.

1: McLaren are well regarded for what they are and have been - a racing entity. Becoming a brand in VAG dilutes and for me, my gut instinct says I don't like it. I suspect many other fans of this team won't like it either? I guess this thread will shed some light on that..

2: Engines - if Porsche takes over Red Bull Powertrains - how does that marry with VAG having an F1 team of it's own in need of motors. Either RBR is going to be the 'works' consumer of the ex RBT engines (badged Porsche) or Porsche are going to supply engines to McLaren as 'works team'?

How that shakes out? Who knows... but makes no sense to VAG to buy an engine faciluty for 2026 and then oly have a suppy arrangement with its 'own' team.
Porsche at the very least becomes a sponsor/tech partner(with naming rights) of the Red Bull team, maybe it goes into shareholding, i'm not sure.
Mclaren would be getting these engines (provided everything proves true) but branded Audi.

The VW group would develop a single engine (with some head start by purchasing Honda's work) and recoup it's investment by promoting 3 brands with it.

JordanMugen

AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:48
I don't think VW has ever changed a brand name when acquiring big brand names! There's absolutely no advantage whatsoever in doing that!
<pedant>

VW changed the brand name on the Auto Union sedan from "DKW" to "Audi" when the Auto Union GmbH F102 chassis switched from two-stroke to four-stroke engines in 1966 and was relabelled as the F103 chassis.

VW merged Auto Union GmbH and NSU Motorenwerke to form Audi NSU Auto Union AG in 1969. At the time, the NSU Ro80 with the rotary engine was the (much) more advanced car than the DKW F102 / Audi F103, however VW soon retired the NSU brand name entirely.

</pedant>
Last edited by JordanMugen on 15 Nov 2021, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

genarro
genarro

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 16:17
AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 14:48
I don't think VW has ever changed a brand name when acquiring big brand names! There's absolutely no advantage whatsoever in doing that!
<pedant>

VW changed the brand name on the Auto Union product from DKW to Audi, and VW also retired the NSU brand name. At the time the NSU Ro80 with the rotary engine was the more advanced car than the DKW F102 / Audi F103. VW merged Auto Union and NSU to form Audi NSU Auto Union AG. :)

</pedant>
But does it make sense from a marketing perspective to defunct a company name that has so much brand strength.