2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

djos wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 23:00
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:55
djos wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 11:43
Same pig, different lipstick. :)
Yeah my Altea is ugly as hell!

Anyway back on topic. The fact there is so much noise now makes me think that VAG will enter F1 in some capacity. I think we will find out in the ne t 3 to 6 months.
It’s funny, VAG have tried multiple times to bring Seat to Australia and gone down in flames spectacularly each time.

VAG as an organisation make me laugh tho, I mean they have 4 brands that all make the same cars with different lipstick on them.

First you have:

Volkswagen

Then they tart them up and slap Audi badges on them and jack up the price.

Then they slap Seat / Skoda badges on them and lower the price. But they are all Volkswagens under the skin.
Yes, and for a while the Skoda had the best build quality due to the factory they were made in, in eastern europe.

The Altea is a golf plus shaped like an old persons car. It's on it's way out soon for a Hyundai Ioniq 5 :evil:

But VAGs model of overlapping products is like most of the conglomerates today really. Mondelez own a million chocolate brands, Nestle own all sorts of companies, Luis Vuitton group the same, Unilever also have a a hundred cleaning products across multiple brands. Mostly the same product but branded at different individuals who will be affected by the brand in such a way that they will buy their products and be able to extract the maximum profit. Many of these companies will also make exactly the same product and put it in the "own brand" packaging for supermarkets.

Because when you buy an Audi, or a Porsche, you are joining an ever more exclusive club and that is what we are really paying for if we are honest. So having Lambo, Mclaren, Porsche and Audi etc all sitting next to each other, if it did happen, is not an issue. They will make a killing out of it as there is something for everyone in VAGs ever expanding portfolio.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 23:53
djos wrote:
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:55

Yeah my Altea is ugly as hell!

Anyway back on topic. The fact there is so much noise now makes me think that VAG will enter F1 in some capacity. I think we will find out in the ne t 3 to 6 months.
It’s funny, VAG have tried multiple times to bring Seat to Australia and gone down in flames spectacularly each time.

VAG as an organisation make me laugh tho, I mean they have 4 brands that all make the same cars with different lipstick on them.

First you have:

Volkswagen

Then they slap Seat / Skoda badges on them and lower the price. But they are all Volkswagens under the skin.
Yes, and for a while the Skoda had the best build quality due to the factory they were made in, in eastern europe.

The Altea is a golf plus shaped like an old persons car. It's on it's way out soon for a Hyundai Ioniq 5 :evil:

But VAGs model of overlapping products is like most of the conglomerates today really. Mondelez own a million chocolate brands, Nestle own all sorts of companies, Luis Vuitton group the same, Unilever also have a a hundred cleaning products across multiple brands. Mostly the same product but branded at different individuals who will be affected by the brand in such a way that they will buy their products and be able to extract the maximum profit. Many of these companies will also make exactly the same product and put it in the "own brand" packaging for supermarkets.

Because when you buy an Audi, or a Porsche, you are joining an ever more exclusive club and that is what we are really paying for if we are honest. So having Lambo, Mclaren, Porsche and Audi etc all sitting next to each other, if it did happen, is not an issue. They will make a killing out of it as there is something for everyone in VAGs ever expanding portfolio.
Erm, according to (https://www.statista.com/statistics/300 ... d-kingdom/)
More people bought Audi in UK last year than Vauxhall, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Skoda, Land Rover, Peugeot, Hyundai etc. Hardly an exclusive club?

Edit, sorry scrap that. Way off topic
Last edited by Big Tea on 18 Nov 2021, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 00:38
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

First you have:

Volkswagen

More people bought Audi in UK last year than Vauxhall, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Skoda, Land Rover, Peugeot, Hyundai etc. Hardly an exclusive club?
It's not what is, it's what is perceived. That's all marketing and branding ever was.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McG

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 09:13
From the article on Motirsport.com, VW group is looking at ONLY one brand joining F1. So it’s either Audi or Porsche, which in effect is either McLaren or Red Bull. With RBR already investing in RB Powertrains and taking over the Honda IP, wouldn’t they be a more attractive prospect?
What is the prospect? Buying RB Powertrains out and rebranding and restaffing it or just paying for a rebranding? Because RB have already amassed a good amount of talent for the project, will have leftover Honda tech which is apparently quite good now we could say, so I don't see what VAG could bring to the table. Also lots of Honda employees are staying on. If the the engines are simplified in the future then RB will be even better placed with even less need for VAG "expertise".

I'm not really seeing where VAG fit with RBR other than a sponsor. Not sure what will be worth more to RB... "Alpha Tauri-RB Powertrains" plus maybe another team... "Sauber-RBR Powertrains" Vs "Red Bull Racing Porsche" and however it would work name wise with other related teams using a VAG rebranded RBP engine.

As for McLaren, I think and hope they'll stay with Mercedes and have a closer partnership. But who the hell knows. Think of everything that has happened in the past 6 years and all the things that could happen in the next 6 years.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

BassVirolla

mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 11:40
djos wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 09:50
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 09:38

They also have Skoda waiting in the wings.
Skoda is their poverty-pack brand - VAG would be insane to use that duff brand in F1!
Which is an easy way to see that some is being comicly dry 🤣🤣

How about Seat then?
As far fetched as I see Porsche and / or VAG coming to F1, Porsche is a brand - carmaker with much more autonomy / autocracy in VAG than Audi - VW - SEAT - Skoda.

If VAG, as VAG as a whole, comes to F1 I see the engines being labelled as Audi.

If the research and development is a commitment from Porsche, even made feasible by VAG, I think these engines would come across as Porsche. And, if anything, is Porsche themselves nearer to this through their vast experience in endurance / prototype racing.

ScottR267
ScottR267

CjC
CjC

ScottR267 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 17:05
Looks like Huski Chocolate are no longer partners
Just a fan's point of view

ScottR267
ScottR267

CjC wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 19:58
ScottR267 wrote:
They are still on the car on the upper end of the nose

Mansell89
Mansell89

Anyone optimistic of a Row3 quali here this weekend?

I think this may suit us a bit more here. Plenty of straights, reminds me a bit of Bahrain.

Hopeful Lando might put in a top quali lap here and surprise a few

adrianjordan

Will Daniel take a new PU? That's the big question for me.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Xero

Mansell89 wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 01:21

I think this may suit us a bit more here. Plenty of straights, reminds me a bit of Bahrain.

I am! Had a look at some F1 sim runs, and it's very high speed. It will require good efficient downforce, which is one of McLaren's strengths. A bit like Bahrain, but it's unlike any other track from looking at it. It has 1 slow speed corner, and even that's probably in 3rd gear.

Zynerji

Mansell89 wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 01:21

I think Daniel is on top of the McMerc now.

I think the fight for the third row is just as tight as the first two. Even to the extent that the 3rd spot might be any of the McLaren's, Ferraris, and the "also ran" drivers in the RBR and the Mercedes.

I think 3rd is up for grabs, for sure. I'm actually thinking of declaring as a Lando fan with the excitement of the new cars for 2022...😁

CjC
CjC

ScottR267 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 20:22
CjC wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:
Thanks!
I also checked the Mclaren Partners page on their website again and found Huski Chocolate right at the bottom! They had been closer to the top previously so I started to give up looking halfway down :lol:
They must still have wound their involvement down to loose the rear wind exposure.
Just a fan's point of view

ScottR267
ScottR267

[-o<
CjC wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 08:11
ScottR267 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 20:22
CjC wrote:

Thanks!
I also checked the Mclaren Partners page on their website again and found Huski Chocolate right at the bottom! They had been closer to the top previously so I started to give up looking halfway down :lol:
They must still have wound their involvement down to loose the rear wind exposure.
Wasn’t it only a couple of races back that it was there clothing brand on the rear wing? Now the sponsor appears to change every race on the rear wing

Stu

mwillems wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 00:39
Big Tea wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 00:38
mwillems wrote:

It's not what is, it's what is perceived. That's all marketing and branding ever was.
Does the Audi have added value because it comes with the free Advanced ESP driving course?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.