Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Ferrari F60

roost89 wrote:
ben_watkins wrote:What caused the double retirement for Ferrari in the Melbourne race?

Was it KERS for Massa and a wall slap for Kimi, or was it both KERS related failures?
As far as I've heard, it's a wall slap from Kimi, probably broken something from that. But Massa... I've just read "problem" so KERS seems likely

KERS is not something that would stop the car from running(short of a fire or something).... when was the last time you heard of someone retiring because of the drink bottle malfunctioning. If the KERS doesnt work then dont press the button is all.

Metar

Except if it causes other electrical problems - but I agree, generally, a KERS malfunction shouldn't interfere too much. (also, the hours-long stoppage at Bahrain due to KERS is different - it was testing, and they wanted to keep testing the system).

Kimi's wall-slap seemed quite violent, against the suspension: we've seen wishbones break from far gentler impacts..

ISLAMATRON

Metar wrote:Except if it causes other electrical problems - but I agree, generally, a KERS malfunction shouldn't interfere too much. (also, the hours-long stoppage at Bahrain due to KERS is different - it was testing, and they wanted to keep testing the system).

Kimi's wall-slap seemed quite violent, against the suspension: we've seen wishbones break from far gentler impacts..
KERS is isolated from all the other electrical systems in the car.

Metar

In that case.. Random hydraulics failure? Gearbox malfunction? I hope it's not the engine...

Bob Brown

Does anyone have a picture of the slit (toyota like hole) in the lower plane of the rear wing?? Intersted to see it.

shir0

The DNFs, IMO, are strategic in nature. Why keep running when there's no more hope for points? DNFs doesn't mean you'll get negative money from FOM at the end of the season. Someone already said it and I'm going to say it again. This season is practically a season long endurance race at this point. If you can save the engines for later, then might as well do it. And, after all, a 20-place grid penalty during every race you use a 9th engine (if you're forced to use a 9th engine) is a whole mother-eF-ing lot of penalty even for the fastest cars on the grid.
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

ISLAMATRON

I thought i was 10 grid position penalty? either one is bad. You are very correct, no need to race unless you can get points... but thats why I would like them to award points through the whole field... no fun in watching them park it in the garage.

roost89
roost89

Metar wrote:In that case.. Random hydraulics failure? Gearbox malfunction? I hope it's not the engine...
On a Q&A on the Autosport website, it states that Massa thinks it was a power steering failure.
Q. What went wrong with your car?

Felipe MassaFelipe Massa: I think it was the power steering. I'm not so sure because they are checking the car. Just suddenly the car was pushing to the right and I couldn't drive straight anymore.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74074
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Kester
Kester

shir0 wrote:And, after all, a 20-place grid penalty during every race you use a 9th engine (if you're forced to use a 9th engine) is a whole mother-eF-ing lot of penalty even for the fastest cars on the grid.
It's 10 places and it's only the first time you use a 9th engine. Another penalty would occur the first time you used a 10th engine, and so on.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Autosport - Q & A with Stefano Domenicali
... With regard to Felipe we had an upright that was broken on the left hand side. So, it is a mechanical failure. We do not yet understand what has happened."
Massa said it was a power steering failure, but he must have been assuming since the car hadn't been checked out properly yet.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

vasia
vasia

Looks like I was not the only one that noticed the airflow problems at the rear of the Ferrari when the F60 first debuted. Looks like people at Ferrari noticed too and made the rear tighter and more aerodynamically efficient later in winter testing.

As for the race, horrible disappointment. I expected stronger race pace from Ferrari, not to mention qualifying pace as well. The reliability problems on both cars is also a big issue. Sepang is hard on the cars, so Ferrari will not have it easy in terms of reliability there either.

alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

Is it possible to reduce the size of sidepod inlet of F60? We all know that both Mclaren and Brawn cars has relatively small sidepod inert, this has helped in reducing drag. Assuming both Ferrari and Mercedes engines produce similar power, the Mercedes engine has better cooling ability, so the sidepod inlet can be made smaller. I am hoping that the Ferrari can try to improve the cooling ability of the engine, so that they can somehow reduce the sidepod inlet to around the size of Mclaren ones.

zgred

Rear wing slot

No paint under the nose

Suspension and brakes

What is this?
Last edited by zgred on 02 Apr 2009, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

slimjim8201

zgred wrote:What is this?
Small axial fan for cooling.

shir0

Kester wrote:It's 10 places and it's only the first time you use a 9th engine. Another penalty would occur the first time you used a 10th engine, and so on.
ISLAMATRON wrote:I thought i was 10 grid position penalty? <snip>
Oh, I'm sorry Kester...typo. It is a 10-place penalty.

But NO. It's not for "the first time you used a 9th engine... and so on". < discussion on engine usage for 2009 >
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.