2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seerix
Seerix

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

FP3 conditions are completely different to quali though. We were ok in FP2 so I hope at least both cars in top10

chrisgr
chrisgr

Alpine and AT are faster in this track. But my god... Perez seems like the third car of Ferrari!! Again slower from Sainz driving a faster car and I think he was on softs.

Darth-Piekus

What the hell is going on today? How can this be explained?

diffuser

Xero wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 12:11
diffuser wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 04:07
McG wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 08:21

What is the prospect? Buying RB Powertrains out and rebranding and restaffing it or just paying for a rebranding? Because RB have already amassed a good amount of talent for the project, will have leftover Honda tech which is apparently quite good now we could say, so I don't see what VAG could bring to the table. Also lots of Honda employees are staying on. If the the engines are simplified in the future then RB will be even better placed with even less need for VAG "expertise".

I'm not really seeing where VAG fit with RBR other than a sponsor. Not sure what will be worth more to RB... "Alpha Tauri-RB Powertrains" plus maybe another team... "Sauber-RBR Powertrains" Vs "Red Bull Racing Porsche" and however it would work name wise with other related teams using a VAG rebranded RBP engine.

As for McLaren, I think and hope they'll stay with Mercedes and have a closer partnership. But who the hell knows. Think of everything that has happened in the past 6 years and all the things that could happen in the next 6 years.
With Honda, RBR got the PUs for free plus plus $. In 2022 they have to spend a Shiit load of $s to keep making those PUs whiles everyone else can buy those PU for $5M. I think this RBR PU experiment is more about not having to go back to Renault for them. I think if a better option came around they would accept it. I can't see the up side for RBR spending $100+ on developing their own PU when they can get 1 from someone else for free.

It would actually make more sense for McLaren to do that as they can then tie it to their road cars.
I think all talk of VAG joining with McLaren or Red Bull is just smoke at this point, just hypothesis based on possible destinations. Red Bull are spending serious cash and effort getting their Honda takeover under way, and it seems there will be some long term Honda support involved. I cannot see them making a u-turn. Same with McLaren, there's no reason for McLaren to ditch Mercedes (who I still believe have the best overall package). Going with a fresh PU project is going to take years to mature, would be a gamble. I can see a team like Williams making that jump over any other.
I kind of agree it sounds like it's not even talk, just media speculation.

Seerix
Seerix

Hm, Lando finished the lap under yellow flag I think, not sure if it stays

Xero

Seerix wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:02
Hm, Lando finished the lap under yellow flag I think, not sure if it stays
The yellow flag cleared really quickly, I think he'll be fine.

Darth-Piekus

The good thing is that we ended in front of Sainz's Ferrari. We got Alonso and Gasly to clear up at the start and this is gonna be our best chance to get points and to put them as a shield between us and Sainz. Sainz however will start with mediums and the other bad news is that we don't have Daniel on Q3. To cover up that 32 point difference is gonna be hard with just 3 races.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Good job Norris. I can't say the same about Ricciardo
Last edited by blastdoman on 20 Nov 2021, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Ay ay ay those yellow flags... :(

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:05
The good thing is that we ended in front of Sainz's Ferrari. We got Alonso and Gasly to clear up at the start and this is gonna be our best chance to get points and to put them as a shield between us and Sainz. Sainz however will start with mediums and the other bad news is that we don't have Daniel on Q3. To cover up that 32 point difference is gonna be hard with just 3 races.
Front limited track is not playing to McLaren's strength's. good News they seem to be faster than Sainz. Sainz is starting on Mediums I think. Staying ahead of him at the start should be easy.

Darth-Piekus

diffuser wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:11
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Front limited track is not playing to McLaren's strength's. good News they seem to be faster than Sainz. Sainz is starting on Mediums I think. Staying ahead of him at the start should be easy.
Next year with the reset there is a good chance to create a wonder of a car that will be good everywhere.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:13
diffuser wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:11
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Next year with the reset there is a good chance to create a wonder of a car that will be good everywhere.
yep.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Same can be said for every single team though. Every chance the team could go backwards in the pecking order, similarly, it could end up being a championship winner. Prepare for anything and everything!

CjC
CjC

Xero wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:57
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Same can be said for every single team though. Every chance the team could go backwards in the pecking order, similarly, it could end up being a championship winner. Prepare for anything and everything!
Defo.
Any fan of any team needs to temper any expectations.
Personally as a Mclaren fan I’m thinking no higher than P4/5.

Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari should be ahead due to their facilities.
Question: what happens to Alpha Tauri next season? Do they have to develop their own chassis or can you use Red Bull ‘22 chassis?
Just a fan's point of view

proteus

blastdoman wrote:
Good job Norris. I can't say the same about Ricciardo
It was to be expected due to a new track. I dont expect him to get points either in the race. Its a shame that he gets to the end of every race he is out of points, but has bad luck when he is inside top ten.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows