2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SiLo

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

cooken wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 02:05
SiLo wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 01:54
Red Bull went low downforce so I think it's skewed a bit. Plus the engine benefit really comes in the race, when the cars have DRS is nullified somewhat it seems.

I'm certain most teams would rather start on the medium tyre, its a better race tyre, but it was so close and the track kept getting faster that a lot of them couldnt afford the luxury. Really only Lewis and Bottas could, plus Max flat spotted his set (although I don't think it was much of a flatspot).
Agreed, I think the engine benefits are mostly in race strats. Less clipping on a per lap basis?
Maybe something like that. Looking at DRS speeds at past races it was fairly similar but the real difference came in the race.
Felipe Baby!

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... g/6874601/

Bottas: Higher mileage F1 engine cost at least 0.2s in qualifying
By:
Luke Smith
Dec 11, 2021, 8:35 PM
Valtteri Bottas says a switch back to a higher mileage power unit ahead of Abu Dhabi Formula 1 qualifying cost him at least 0.2 seconds, leaving him sixth on the grid.
"In Q2, I think I did my best laptime and I could never improve that," Bottas told the written media at the Yas Marina Circuit on Saturday evening. "It felt like the more I tried, it felt like the set-up didn't have any more in it.

"I went for a quite soft set-up mechanically and I feel it's really good for the race, and I was hoping it should still be OK for the quali. But the grip was improving quite a lot. so that's one thing.

"We had to change to an older PU for today, which I knew that it was, compared to yesterday, at least two tenths."

Bottas said Mercedes felt "more confident with this PU for the reliability", reasoning the decision to make the switch to an engine which was technically introduced more recently but has accrued more mileage

Swifty

We are the champions, my friends!

No one is beating Mercedes anytime soon, lads. Let 2022 come!

McG

Michael "nervous wreck" Masi, the true 2021 champion.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mvfad

Mercedes paid the price for not switching the Bottas mid-season...
If there were Russell there between Hamilton and Max the story could be different.

mvfad

Hamilton must be feeling something similar to what Massa felt in 2008.
He did everything right, but it wasn't his day.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

not really like Massa. It is like a Alonso who lost to Vettel in RB 2012 as their sister car blocked him well to get the 4th WCC for vettel. Please don't worry. The driver Rb produced will be disappear very soon if they move out from RB like Vettel and Ric..... and Max. note down... It seems dirty politics in F1 as well. Whey they did not allow all the cars to lap safety car? why only cars between LH and Max. Thanks F1 for your nice sportsmanship.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

That was complete BS! Why only a few cars allowed to overtake! They literally handed him the trophy! I wished mercedes lodged a complaint of some sort

McG

They will. Proper safety car procedure was not followed. Hamilton might still get the championship on countback due to it.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It is liberty..... next year 2022, they may already decided WDC whom to give....

I am a natural fan in F1 but this race win grabbed from Hamilton....... lots of dirty politics.....It will spoil the sports and true fans who loves motor vehicles...

_cerber1

This is not a sport, this is a show. A person who has lost the entire race in speed cannot be a champion.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Yes. The result is not good for sport.

jurinius
jurinius

Mercedes team shouldn't let this down. The FIA equation was simple, stop the race with red flag and then have the remaining laps for everyone but they had all eyes on Max race outcome.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

McG

I don't think there was much else F1 could have done to try and hand this season to RB. First the floor rule change, then letting Verstappen off with as much qs possible whilst bending the rules on track to suit RB. Such a shame. I've never seen a less deserving team and driver combination win a championship, and I watched all of Michael Schumachers seasons so that's saying something!

DChemTech
DChemTech

McG wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 20:42
I don't think there was much else F1 could have done to try and hand this season to RB. First the floor rule change, then letting Verstappen off with as much qs possible whilst bending the rules on track to suit RB. Such a shame. I've never seen a less deserving team and driver combination win a championship, and I watched all of Michael Schumachers seasons so that's saying something!
Sorry, but what? Floor change was preseason. There was time to anticipate. In contrast, wing test changes and pit regulation changes were mid season and benefited MB. Tire change, for good safety reasons, benefits MB too. FIA made a lot of mistakes this season, but not to obviously screw MB.