2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
barten
barten

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

I doubt that Merc would pull out of the sport. Of course the management is pissed, but it is a much better business decision to use the appeal case as leverage in bargaining with the FIA and gain a competitive advantage. The interesting question to me would be, what it is that Merc/Lewis would want in return for a stolen WDC.

El Scorchio

Tom145145 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 17:52
SiLo wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 17:49
Tom145145 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 16:43
Has there been any indication to wether they will be going back to a majority silver livery next year? I noticed George has his red helmet design again while testing in the Merc and would love to see him in a silver car as it would bring back memories of Schumacher. I also much prefer the silver livery.
The team have confirmed the silver livery is coming back next year.
Nice, I look forward to that. I will also find it easier to tell them apart from the Aston Martins
And the AT cars as well from some angles. I got more used to it through the season but it was an issue. Actually it really doesn't feel like nine months ago in Bahrain we all first realised the issue. Scary how quick the year has gone.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

barten wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 18:59
I doubt that Merc would pull out of the sport. Of course the management is pissed, but it is a much better business decision to use the appeal case as leverage in bargaining with the FIA and gain a competitive advantage. The interesting question to me would be, what it is that Merc/Lewis would want in return for a stolen WDC.
There was no stolen wdc and they don't have a leverage.

west52keep64

Marty_Y wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 17:42
https://www.racefans.net/2021/12/15/mer ... t-goes-on/

Mercedes decline to participate in FIA champions photoshoot as appeal wait goes on
2021 F1 seasonPosted on
15th December 2021, 10:25 | Written by Dieter Rencken and Keith Collantine
The source for this appears to be Dieter Rencken himself, and then other news sites have picked it up. There's no official sources confirming this, so not really sure how true or relevant it is? Has anyone ever seen the photoshoot from previous years?

Meanwhile, if this is true... that's a pretty significant thing for the FIA to come out and say:

EDIT: Yup, confirmed, here's the official press release: https://www.fia.com/news/statement-fia- ... rt-council

I wonder if this is as a result of behind the scenes discussions with Mercedes? Or do we think Mercedes are likely to push forward with their appeal and this could be used as yet more evidence?
Last edited by west52keep64 on 15 Dec 2021, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

west52keep64 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 21:38
Marty_Y wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 17:42
https://www.racefans.net/2021/12/15/mer ... t-goes-on/

Mercedes decline to participate in FIA champions photoshoot as appeal wait goes on
2021 F1 seasonPosted on
15th December 2021, 10:25 | Written by Dieter Rencken and Keith Collantine
The source for this appears to be Dieter Rencken himself, and then other news sites have picked it up. There's no official sources confirming this, so not really sure how true or relevant it is? Has anyone ever seen the photoshoot from previous years?

Meanwhile, if this is true... that's a pretty significant thing for the FIA to come out and say:

I think it's relevant, just the fact that they have been totally silent since Sunday and haven't posted anything about winning the constructors championship shows how much of a negative effect this is having.

west52keep64

Marty_Y wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 21:46
I think it's relevant, just the fact that they have been totally silent since Sunday and haven't posted anything about winning the constructors championship shows how much of a negative effect this is having.
How do we know it's true though? There's literally nothing else online to confirm it, just Dieter Rencken saying it and then lots of other sites posting the same story pretty much verbatim.

As you say, they've been silent, and the media are obviously fishing for news to draw the web hits in.

This is true though: https://www.fia.com/news/statement-fia- ... rt-council

mstar
mstar

toto should be negotiating with FIA about a compromise and possible concessions/vetos. I am sure FIA do not want merc to go ahead as it make them and the sport look bad. Toto absolutely has leverage he can negotiate some sweetners from the FIA -what that may be who knows. Most likely Toto will be firm and say he will block all new rules for new manufactures concessions to come in the sport.

dans79

west52keep64 wrote:
I wonder if this is as a result of behind the scenes discussions with Mercedes? Or do we think Mercedes are likely to push forward with their appeal and this could be used as yet more evidence?
I think this is an attempt by the FIA to persuade Mercedes to not push forward. The ICA most likely wouldn't overturn the championship, but they would shred the rule book, and rip the FIA a new one!

I mean look at the members of the ICA, all of them would take a dim view of poorly written rules, and FIA representatives hand waving away scenarios when they screw something up.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 2021_0.pdf
201 105 104 9 9 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 22:08
west52keep64 wrote:
I think this is an attempt by the FIA to persuade Mercedes to not push forward. The ICA most likely wouldn't overturn the championship, but they would shred the rule book, and rip the FIA a new one!

I mean look at the members of the ICA, all of them would take a dim view of poorly written rules, and FIA representatives hand waving away scenarios when they screw something up.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 2021_0.pdf
There are some Brits on that panel. Obviously biased!
:lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

west52keep64

I can't see Mercedes letting their right to appeal lapse, so I suspect they will lodge the appeal, they can always withdraw it later if the FIA offer something more...

Big Tea

west52keep64 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 22:38
I can't see Mercedes letting their right to appeal lapse, so I suspect they will lodge the appeal, they can always withdraw it later if the FIA offer something more...
What can they gain from it? They have the constructors (which I think is as much due to them luckily being far enough in front as to not be caught) and it is very unlikely they are going to change the result of the race now.

They may get an 'under the table' apology and maybe some brownie points in the bank, possibly some financial 'incentive', but as a very worst case from F1 they will nullify the last race (or threaten to) and Max still wins.

Any benefit coming Mercs's way will have to be unofficial, so why build the legal expenses in?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wesley123
wesley123

west52keep64 wrote:
EDIT: Yup, confirmed, here's the official press release: https://www.fia.com/news/statement-fia- ... rt-council

F1 is very autonomous from the FIA in lots of regards, so to push forward means it automatically has to involve F1 itself in some way.

FIA's investigation will be internal, which by definition will means that F1, who are the instigators here, get off scot-free
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 22:47
west52keep64 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 22:38
What can they gain from it? They have the constructors (which I think is as much due to them luckily being far enough in front as to not be caught) and it is very unlikely they are going to change the result of the race now.

They may get an 'under the table' apology and maybe some brownie points in the bank, possibly some financial 'incentive', but as a very worst case from F1 they will nullify the last race (or threaten to) and Max still wins.

Any benefit coming Mercs's way will have to be unofficial, so why build the legal expenses in?
It’s about more than the title:

Public apology
Compensation for probable loss of earnings from endorsements for Hamilton and the team
Masi’s head on a plate
A guarantee that what happened will never happen again to anyone else

Annulling the race result is problematic anyway- again it’s people thinking it’s black and white and Hamilton and Verstappen is the only issue at stake. Any points rescinded from annulling the race might affect standings elsewhere or even performance clauses or payments for any teams or drivers from sponsors and all that blah.

Phil

I’m really at a loss for what the best outcome from this could be.

Overturn the race result and with that potentially the championship?

Sweep it under a rug and pretend all is well, no hard feelings?

Fight this, until there is a public appology with no changes to the result?

This is such a mess. Tbh, i dont care much if everything burns, the FIA have brought this on themselves. If you dont have integrity, achievements become meaningless.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

No debrief video today, I wonder if they will bother doing one for this race? They haven't done any posts on social media asking for questions to answer like they normally do.