2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:06
Do you think Hamilton will resign as the rumors suggest it ?
No. He will want another crack at that title. If the Mercedes car is a dog in 2022 he might explore other options in or out of F1 after that.

Tom145145
Tom145145

Just thinking about next years car development and I could be wrong but I thought Mercedes last brought an aero update before the summer break. It’s only my gut feeling but I think Redbull will be on the back foot more than Merc next year. Ferrari and McLaren have the resources to be up there. It will be classic F1 if we have just seen the most competitive season in a decade and “fix” the cars and have a year of dominance by one team.

proteus

Tom145145 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:32
Just thinking about next years car development and I could be wrong but I thought Mercedes last brought an aero update before the summer break. It’s only my gut feeling but I think Redbull will be on the back foot more than Merc next year. Ferrari and McLaren have the resources to be up there. It will be classic F1 if we have just seen the most competitive season in a decade and “fix” the cars and have a year of dominance by one team.
Not really. Mercedes might be even more dominant than ever. Their 22 car is probably built allready + their super powerfull and durable engine that Lewis got for last 3 races and the fate is sealed. The only contender will be George and i dont think he will be allowed to jeopardize Lewis and his 8th title.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Sulman
Sulman

Tom145145 wrote:
Rules stability leads to closer racing, and vice-versa. This will be the closest season for a while I suspect. My thought regarding RBR is how much did they sink into 2021, and how much is their engine ambitions going to hurt them? These are significant investments.

El Scorchio

Don't see any evidence for Russell not being able to challenge unless it's purely on ability. Mercedes have zero history of that sort of behaviour unless a championship challenge dictates it, contrary to some of the other teams.

Look at the Rosberg years.

El Scorchio

Sulman wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:46
Tom145145 wrote:
Rules stability leads to closer racing, and vice-versa. This will be the closest season for a while I suspect. My thought regarding RBR is how much did they sink into 2021, and how much is their engine ambitions going to hurt them? These are significant investments.
Yup, I agree. At this point it's almost a lottery as to who has managed to find the best solution to the new regs. Could be Mercedes, could be RBR, could be Ferrari, could be Williams. As I mentioned on the AD race thread (RIP) at first I'd expect there to be maybe some big gaps in performance level, followed by reduction as everyone converges on what looks like the best philosophy.

I did read that teams currently running lower rake might have a better transfer of compatible philosophy than high rake teams, but no idea if there's any truth in that.

toraabe
toraabe

basti313 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:04
Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 16:39
santos wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 16:36

It's better that FIA puts their pride aside. This all situation was created by them, so they should swallow their pride and get over it.
After all the mess that was the final race, the FIA punished Mercedes for not going to a party... if i was the CEO, i would just pull the plug to the F1 team.
They would lose many millions then, not just in monies for winning the championship, scoring points etc but penalties for what what amounts to not fulfilling the notice period.
It is a bit of a surprise to me that people seem to forget this and also the role of FIA in this.
Formula 1 is no sports, it is a show and not people go mad at the show. Mercedes invested millions (billions?) to get the dominance in Formula 1 and get back billions of marketing value from this show. Once FIA thinks this is enough they change the rules. This was the same over decades now and surprisingly the FIA did not pull the plug completely on the Mercedes dominance so far.
So it is a bit surprising to expect the superb level of "fair sports". This is not tennis where it makes sense to break your racket over a referees decision. What happens now on this forums is a bit like blaming the referee for the Undertaker not winning at Wrestlemania. I know that hurts a lot, I feel it every year, but we need to be realistic.
Exactly. They knew that this year rules was going to hurt Mercedes at the most. This year is has bounced both ways. 8 years dominnance is not good either. Mercedes know that. They won the most important one anyway. Constructor..

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
Don't see any evidence for Russell not being able to challenge unless it's purely on ability. Mercedes have zero history of that sort of behaviour unless a championship challenge dictates it, contrary to some of the other teams.

It would not go down well, but would there be profit in 'asking' Russell to be a second driver next year?
As it will be a new car there will be a lot of development needed and if two drivers are racing each other neither will be as open with their feedback as they would if working together.

It would not be best for us, but maybe for the team and for following years.

speaking of which, if as suggested by some media Lewis walks, who would be the hot driver for that seat?
As a driver, I would like to see Gasly in there (of those available, not counting Max) but would a more experienced driver like Vettel be a better option?

A car new design would suggest an experienced driver, but one who would work in the team.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

El Scorchio wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:26
Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:06
Do you think Hamilton will resign as the rumors suggest it ?
No. He will want another crack at that title. If the Mercedes car is a dog in 2022 he might explore other options in or out of F1 after that.
Which teams can afford his wages and got a place for him ?

Tom145145
Tom145145

El Scorchio wrote:

I have a feeling though that he knows he’s coming in to replace Hamilton, he doesn’t have to be beating him week in week out just look respectable.
He will know his role, I doubt it’s a pure number 2 but a person training to take over.
But we could be surprised, just look at Carlos vs Charles or the other way Lando vs Danny.

Sulman
Sulman

Tom145145 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:58
El Scorchio wrote:

I have a feeling though that he knows he’s coming in to replace Hamilton, he doesn’t have to be beating him week in week out just look respectable.
He will know his role, I doubt it’s a pure number 2 but a person training to take over.
But we could be surprised, just look at Carlos vs Charles or the other way Lando vs Danny.
George might challenge in his first year, but I don't think he'll win it. Although he's not new to F1, he's new to the front. Don't forget just how accomplished Hamilton is. George is a good guy, and he's the heir apparent. I like to think it might be a bit like Stewart and Cevert, but with a happy ending this time.

Tom145145
Tom145145

Sulman wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 18:11
Tom145145 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:58
El Scorchio wrote:

George might challenge in his first year, but I don't think he'll win it. Although he's not new to F1, he's new to the front. Don't forget just how accomplished Hamilton is. George is a good guy, and he's the heir apparent. I like to think it might be a bit like Stewart and Cevert, but with a happy ending this time.
That’s how I also see it, George seems like a very measured person and I think he will be solid but acknowledging he is learning.

El Scorchio

I'm inclined to agree. Russell knows he's the future so no pressure this year and he can learn from Hamilton, although I'm sure he wants to lay down a marker. He may surprise people and be extraordinary.

I'm most intrigued to see his saturday vs sunday performance. I've a feeling they went all out for grid position at Williams at the cost of race performance so I really want to see what he carries over to the MB team.

Tizz

El Scorchio wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:50
I did read that teams currently running lower rake might have a better transfer of compatible philosophy than high rake teams, but no idea if there's any truth in that.
Hmmm, funny, I think Merc already acknowledged they are leaving the low rake philosophy...

proteus

El Scorchio wrote:

I have seen the inside clash between Rosberg and Hamilton which resulted in battle on and off track, where longtime friendship was destroyed. Part of team prefering one driver and the other part of the team prefering the other. It was only their overall dominance of superior machine that enabled them to have an inside civil war and still take almost everything possible, while in equal terms with competition they would throw away their chances by clashing with each other.

I have no doubts George was informed that next year it is all about Lewis securing his 8th title and that clashes are not desirable. After that Lewis will probably retire and George will have free hands to start taking what will be up to grabs.
Last edited by proteus on 16 Dec 2021, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows