2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonMexico
RonMexico

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Has anyone come up with a reasonable hypothesis for the large jump in Mercedes performance from around Turkey onwards?

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

El Scorchio wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 19:41
Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 19:19
Mchamilton wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 19:10

Surely theyd just get bottas back if lewis walks? Someone who is 100% integrated with the team already
I really do not see Bottas as a team leader, and Russell is going to be the 'new boy' so it would not be fair to expect him to be team leader when Bottas has a long residence there.
I think they'd go after Ricciardo or try and pinch one of the Ferrari duo. Maybe Norris would be a very outside bet.
Dont think theyd go for ricciardo, hes been beaten by verstappen in the same car and now beaten by Norris. And proven to be not very good at adapting to new cars

El Scorchio

RonMexico wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:00
Has anyone come up with a reasonable hypothesis for the large jump in Mercedes performance from around Turkey onwards?
This has, I believe been discussed ad nauseum on other threads, and probably this one as well already.

El Scorchio

Mchamilton wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:03
El Scorchio wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 19:19

I really do not see Bottas as a team leader, and Russell is going to be the 'new boy' so it would not be fair to expect him to be team leader when Bottas has a long residence there.
I think they'd go after Ricciardo or try and pinch one of the Ferrari duo. Maybe Norris would be a very outside bet.
Dont think theyd go for ricciardo, hes been beaten by verstappen in the same car and now beaten by Norris. And proven to be not very good at adapting to new cars
Safe hands and a good guy, though. I think they could do worse but you do make a good point, from a pure performance POV. If they knew exactly what they have in Russell then it's a much easier to make a call on a prospective team mate.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

RonMexico wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:00
From various reports :
- Better understanding of the car, and of how to make the tyres working
- The stalled diffusor trick was ehanced and worked better on theses tracks
- Better understanding of the reliability concerns/engine mileage drop
- Hamilton working harder (spent much much more time in the simulator)
- "2nd half of the season syndrom" : in 2018 when there was a close battle with Ferrari who seemed to be the fastest car at some point in the first half - even on par with the RB sometimes - Merc turn up in the second half (Spa, Monza, Singapore sequence) ; this year it was hindered by i) tracks conditions at Spa ii) Bottas engine change, Hamilton mistake at the start + collision with Verstappen at Monza iii) new tricky "away" track in between theses events (Zandvoort). If you take a look at the sequence since Silverstone Hamilton's pace could have resulted in a win in Hungary (pole), Spa (if dry [low drag setup]), Monza (pole), Istanbul (pole (1-2) + Bottas dominant) and ofc Russia (Mercedes 1-2 pole before the rain) but he won there in spite of that.

All imo ofc.
Last edited by Spoutnik on 16 Dec 2021, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Tom145145
Tom145145

I don’t want to think about Lewis ending his career on that note, but he may just take a sabbatical like Häkkinen. Speaking of Mika he could be a candidate for a year? I would have taken Riccardo in a heartbeat last winter but now I feel he’s lost some of his shine. Gasly would be a good bet but he will be in a hefty RB contract I expect.
I wouldn’t expect Alonso to be that high on the list and is Vettel a spent force now? I would think he would be a very safe pair of hands.
Last edited by Tom145145 on 16 Dec 2021, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Seems a lot could be pointing to Lewis leaving f1:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59686315

Lewis Hamilton is "disillusioned" and will never get over the events of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, says Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff.

Hamilton was "robbed" of the title and the decisions made over a late-race safety car "still feel like a nightmare", Wolff said.

He said he could not guarantee if Hamilton would continue to race in F1.

"As a racer, his heart will say: 'I need to continue' because he's at the peak of his game," Wolff said.

"But we have to overcome the pain that was caused upon him.

"I am in a daily dialogue with him. But there is not a lot to talk (about) at the moment. Each of us copes in their own way with the feelings we have at the moment.

"I just need to do the utmost I can to help him to overcome the feelings that he has in order for him to return strong with a love of the sport and trust in the decision-making of the sport next year.
Cant say i blame him.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

epo
epo

Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:50
Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:10
El Scorchio wrote:

(More unexpected) Grosjean ? Vandoorne ? Alonso (Piastri to replace him) ? Or in a desperate situation Stroll ?...
I grimaced at Stroll until I thought about it. He does seem amicable, he has experience with Mercedes via the engine, and yes, I think they would make a good team. Either of the Ferrari drivers or Norris would be good, but I think they are tied into contracts it would be hard to get out of. I suspect FT would allow Gasly to go to one of the top teams with pleasure as there are a few drivers he would like to get.
Seriously you would consider Lance Stroll in a Mercedes? In my eyes that would be the last driver to pick.
Anyways Hamilton will drive next year so don't worry.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

epo wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:34
Big Tea wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:10

(More unexpected) Grosjean ? Vandoorne ? Alonso (Piastri to replace him) ? Or in a desperate situation Stroll ?...
I grimaced at Stroll until I thought about it. He does seem amicable, he has experience with Mercedes via the engine, and yes, I think they would make a good team. Either of the Ferrari drivers or Norris would be good, but I think they are tied into contracts it would be hard to get out of. I suspect FT would allow Gasly to go to one of the top teams with pleasure as there are a few drivers he would like to get.
Seriously you would consider Lance Stroll in a Mercedes? In my eyes that would be the last driver to pick.
I was not really convinced when I was writing my initial post as it would be in last resort, nevertheless Stroll is Merc-linked since quite a long time. He's kind of "Bottas 2017" in 2021 to me (safe asset + experienced driver).
Furthermore regarding Lawrence Stroll/Aston Martin do not forget some AM road cars are powered by AMG engines since 2020...

Big Tea

Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:44
epo wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I was not really convinced when I was writing my initial post as it would be in last resort, nevertheless Stroll is Merc-linked since quite a long time. He's kind of "Bottas 2017" in 2021 to me (safe asset + experienced driver).
Furthermore regarding Lawrence Stroll/Aston Martin do not forget some AM road cars are powered by AMG engines since 2020...
I would, as he would not be replacing Hamilton, Russell would. However Russell has no experience in the team so someone he could work with that is steady would be far better than someone like Alonso or Riccardo who could destroy his confidence as they are 'hardened' team leaders.
Russell's first job if Hamilton is not there is to get the team behind him and a hardline experienced driver would divide it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sulman
Sulman

Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:50
Spoutnik wrote:
epo wrote:

I would, as he would not be replacing Hamilton, Russell would. However Russell has no experience in the team so someone he could work with that is steady would be far better than someone like Alonso or Riccardo who could destroy his confidence as they are 'hardened' team leaders.
Russell's first job if Hamilton is not there is to get the team behind him and a hardline experienced driver would divide it
I think you're being a bit harsh on Russell. He's been team leader at Williams for three years, and he's seen off all-comers. He also had an explosive debut at Mercedes a year ago, so he knows what a Grand Prix weekend looks like from the sharp end. I don't think he'd have any issues with whoever was in the other car; George is a sportsman.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Sulman wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:57
Big Tea wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

I think you're being a bit harsh on Russell. He's been team leader at Williams for three years, and he's seen off all-comers. He also had an explosive debut at Mercedes a year ago, so he knows what a Grand Prix weekend looks like from the sharp end. I don't think he'd have any issues with whoever was in the other car; George is a sportsman.
I agree, Russell has a lot more experience than people realize. He’s ran a lot of testing laps in that Mercedes’ and knows a lot of the team. More than likely would have won in his only race last year for mercedes

Big Tea

holeindalip wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 22:09
Sulman wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:57
Big Tea wrote:

I agree, Russell has a lot more experience than people realize. He’s ran a lot of testing laps in that Mercedes’ and knows a lot of the team. More than likely would have won in his only race last year for mercedes
(to all above) I am not just considering Russell but a team Hamilton has just left. Thats Hamilton, not just any old driver, which would be bad enough to have 2 'new boys' straight after a long term driver and his established 'wingman'.

That is a big hole to fill if everything is on your side (I imagine) and the last thing Russell would need is a team mate squabble while trying to be the new focus. Vettel would be better from a driving point of view, but he could not help getting the team behind him. If they are having a 'settling in year' they just as well get it over with before next year.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

I do not think Russel is as fast as Hamilton. I do not expect a major challenge coming from him this year.
I think he will have some really blinding races, but be mostly learning from Lewis throughout the year.

The Russel Hamilton match up wont be the most interesting on the grid that's for sure. I also do not think Mercedes will adapt to these new aero regs the best. The made an error with their frilled floor this year, so it shows they aren't as creative as redbull when it comes to aero design.
For Sure!!

Sulman
Sulman

I think Mercedes have also got some exceptionally good engineers - we just don't know their names.