2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

cooken wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 16:07
If I'm not mistaken the rear wing interacts with the diffuser and enhances its performance.

The nose length is proportional to the amount of energy it can absorb in a front impact, so it's purpose for safety is quite important I'd say. Unfortunate because the shorter cars were fun to watch, but it's one of the more reasonable sacrifices.
I believe the return of the beam-wing has far more interaction with the diffusor than the rear wing. Although, the rear wing will help with the total upwash/extraction from the diffusor.

It's going to be interesting to see how well they can follow each other.

Stu

Zynerji wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 17:32
cooken wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 16:07
If I'm not mistaken the rear wing interacts with the diffuser and enhances its performance.

The nose length is proportional to the amount of energy it can absorb in a front impact, so it's purpose for safety is quite important I'd say. Unfortunate because the shorter cars were fun to watch, but it's one of the more reasonable sacrifices.
I believe the return of the beam-wing has far more interaction with the diffusor than the rear wing. Although, the rear wing will help with the total upwash/extraction from the diffusor.

It's going to be interesting to see how well they can follow each other.
This is what I was getting at, maximise the beam wing/floor, minimise the big draggy bits.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

wesley123
wesley123

If your intent is to blow the dirty air over a car following a more aggressive beam wing would do f-all since it's wake would still fit in the base area of the car following it. The rear wing as is described per 2022 rules will blow it's dirty air over a following car in every rational AoA.

And then we come to more practical things. With the beam wing as the 'main' wing you create an aerodynamic element that would be much more sensitive to setup changes, both in it's own right, as well as CoP. An AoA change will have a much larger effect over the draw from the tunnels, and because of this affect, it will also have a bigger effect on front load.

In terms of effect in it's own right, it'll probably be more effective, but for the goals it is trying to achieve it will only complicate things more.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Mattchu

So I was wondering if next year Haas will have any advantage owing to the fact their chassis is produced by Dallara. Next years cars use a lot more ground effect, which is something Indy have been using for a while now.
Will they possibly have an small edge in helping assist the Haas designers/engineers in what the better ways to utilize such a method of creating downforce is?

I suppose the same goes for McLaren with their Indy program...will much methodolgy be crossed over or are they so different that very little can be garnered.

Just wondering!

djos

Csmith1980 wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 13:20
mzso wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 12:31
bauc wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 11:38
Scrabs drawings

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScarbsTech/s ... 67/photo/1
"Rake is likely to disappear as the cars will run low and flat." - Hm. This is quite the opposite to the opinions I saw on this forum.

He also says "most downforce created from underfloor". Which makes me wonder, can't that result in the overhangs and wings and such length decreasing?
If they can make most of the downforce they want with the underbody, why make huge drag-generator wings?
And if you don't need much wings, why make long noses?
Newey has claimed the high rake philosophy is dead for 2022
I think one of our resident aero experts mentioned that a few degrees of rake is about the max you can run before the tunnels stop working.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Mattchu wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 23:21
So I was wondering if next year Haas will have any advantage owing to the fact their chassis is produced by Dallara. Next years cars use a lot more ground effect, which is something Indy have been using for a while now.
Will they possibly have an small edge in helping assist the Haas designers/engineers in what the better ways to utilize such a method of creating downforce is?

I suppose the same goes for McLaren with their Indy program...will much methodolgy be crossed over or are they so different that very little can be garnered.

Just wondering!
I doubt it, Lola was the chassis that dominated CART/IndyCar until they went to a spec chassis.
"In downforce we trust"

Blackout

I have a feeling, these rules/the nose and front wing volumes do not outlaw "pelican noses". Am I wrong?

godlameroso

djos wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 23:26
Csmith1980 wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 13:20
mzso wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 12:31

"Rake is likely to disappear as the cars will run low and flat." - Hm. This is quite the opposite to the opinions I saw on this forum.

He also says "most downforce created from underfloor". Which makes me wonder, can't that result in the overhangs and wings and such length decreasing?
If they can make most of the downforce they want with the underbody, why make huge drag-generator wings?
And if you don't need much wings, why make long noses?
Newey has claimed the high rake philosophy is dead for 2022
I think one of our resident aero experts mentioned that a few degrees of rake is about the max you can run before the tunnels stop working.
That all depends on how you shape them, obviously they'll work due to ground effect so generally a lower car will work the tunnels harder. However it is a matter of aero balance, do you want them working as hard at 240kph as you do at 140kph? If they work harder at lower speeds they may create understeer at higher speeds, if they work better at higher speeds the car may lack grip at lower speeds.

With 18 inch wheels and lower profile tires, the damping of the cars will also change from the legacy car's overdamped suspensions towards more critical damping. This can have an influence on the balance of the car at certain speeds. Pitch sensitivity will become a bigger issue than it's been recently.
Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 13:33
I have a feeling, these rules/the nose and front wing volumes do not outlaw "pelican noses". Am I wrong?
Depends how you define a pelican nose?! I think something like the 2014 Ferrari might be possible or even desirable.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

godlameroso

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 22:28
Blackout wrote:
Depends how you define a pelican nose?! I think something like the 2014 Ferrari might be possible or even desirable.
The more air you can feed into the tunnels the easier it is to create above ambient pressure at the throat. The ground effect tunnels remind me an awful lot of the SR-71 engine inlets.

Last edited by godlameroso on 26 Dec 2021, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

godlameroso wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 22:33
jjn9128 wrote:
Blackout wrote:
The more air you can feed into the tunnels the easier it is to create above ambient pressure at the throat. The ground effect tunnels remind me an awful lot of the SR-71 engine.
Below ambient but yes. And without so many flow conditioners it will be much harder to do. These rules are quite tricksy, simple means you can't just bung on another widget to push the air about.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

godlameroso

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 22:35
godlameroso wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

The more air you can feed into the tunnels the easier it is to create above ambient pressure at the throat. The ground effect tunnels remind me an awful lot of the SR-71 engine.
Below ambient but yes. And without so many flow conditioners it will be much harder to do. These rules are quite tricksy, simple means you can't just bung on another widget to push the air about.
I meant at the entrance to the tunnels, the turning vanes at the tunnel inlet serve to increase the static pressure, shoveling air out of the way and by consequence creating a low pressure inlet at the main opening for the tunnels.
Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

godlameroso wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 22:38
jjn9128 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

I meant at the entrance to the tunnels, the turning vanes at the tunnel inlet serve to increase the static pressure, shoveling air out of the way and by consequence creating a low pressure inlet at the main opening for the tunnels.
I don't agree but okay.
#aerogandalf

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

jjn9128 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

Right, the overall shape dictates the flow path to a greater extent than now.

godlameroso

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 22:44
godlameroso wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 22:38
jjn9128 wrote:

I don't agree but okay.
If the turning vanes are turning air, the pressure increases on the leading/outboard surface. Slowing down air raises its pressure, this is basic stuff. All diffusers work to increase air pressure, any time you make air turn it slows down, it's like going up a hill. The energy it takes for air to go around an obstruction reduces its kinetic energy.

The floor entrance is lower pressure, but only because the turning vanes are out-washing air raising the pressure outboard.

The tunnels work because the inlet is above static pressure and the outlet is at static, while the tunnels are below static. It's sort of like the pressure drop across an intercooler core. The pressure pre and after the heat exchanger are above static, the increased volume of the cooler creates a pressure drop that is partially recovered at the outlet.
Saishū kōnā