2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Stu

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

Just been re-reading the front page thread and noticed that the rear wing is being made wider (1230mm, I think it said), but DRS is limited to y480mm (+/-). In terms of keeping the “lift disturbed air upwards” will DRS be mandated to operate on the lower rear wing element?
I hope that it will not be needed at all!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jjn9128

No, DRS has to work on the uppermost flap of the rear wing. On a straight that might actually aid the slipstream for a following car. Pat Symonds (maybe Jason Somerville) said on an F1 TechTalk the DRS is still required because slipstream will be worse with the wake being less damaging in cornering.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Are we going to see upswept exhaust exits?

jjn9128

The exhaust can only go up at <5deg from horizontal. It also has to exit much further back behind the rear wing so they can't blow anything
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mzso
mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 16:10
Pat Symonds (maybe Jason Somerville) said on an F1 TechTalk the DRS is still required because slipstream will be worse with the wake being less damaging in cornering.
Does not compute for me. I would think that, if all the turbulence air is diverted upwards instead of being deposited right behind, the slip-stream would be better. A bigger, and emptier "hole".

dans79

mzso wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 20:44
jjn9128 wrote:
Pat Symonds (maybe Jason Somerville) said on an F1 TechTalk the DRS is still required because slipstream will be worse with the wake being less damaging in cornering.
Does not compute for me. I would think that, if all the turbulence air is diverted upwards instead of being deposited right behind, the slip-stream would be better. A bigger, and emptier "hole".
The 2022 cars are a lot less draggy, and a lot less able to push the air out and away with the bargeboards etc. Thus they punch a much smaller hole in the air for the car behind to slipstream in.
201 105 104 9 9 7

bjpower
bjpower

As the vents for the cooling will more than likely be grills behind/on top of the sidepods, rather than the tunnel around the exhaust we have had for the last while.
Will that upset the air washing over the sidepods to the top of the defuser ?

Will we see a return to the deep undercut sidepods?

Blackout

mzso wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Because if this aero works well, a 'clean' good energy air will rapidly wash in behind the car, below the dirty wake...
RacecarEnginnering

mzso
mzso

Blackout wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 12:12
Because if this aero works well, a 'clean' good energy air will rapidly wash in behind the car, below the dirty wake...
Still a bit of a head-scratcher for me. Like how is dirty air remaining there less or better for slipstream, than "clean air" as you say.

Blackout

jjn9128 wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 09:37
AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 01:41
I haven't seen any renders with the 2022 cars having high radiator inlets just like every single car since 2020!

Do you think teams won't need high radiator inlets anymore because of the changed aero rules??

btw I don't think high radiator inlets will look quite nice on the 2022 cars :P
The way the high inlets work is by moving the side impact structure down. The X,Y,Z location of the side impact tubes are more tightly controlled in the 2022 rules than the current spec. It will be impossible.
Regarding the Z locations, at the left, both Side Impact Structures are roughly at the minimum height, and at the right they are at the maximum).
I suppose the teams will put the lower SIS as high as they can (not necessarily at the max height - it depends where they'll put the SIS in the X axis I guess) to get the biggest tunnel entries possible, but still... we should see more variety in the intake designs, like in 2017 and before. We might see triangular, horizontal and, perhaps more old school square/vertical intakes again :!: :?:

Dunno if intakes à la Alfa C.37 (end of season) are still possible. MP4-26ish seem to be possible with a top SIS placed at the minimum height IMO

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 12:34
Regarding the Z locations, at the left, both Side Impact Structures are roughly at the minimum height, and at the right they are at the maximum).
I suppose the teams will put the lower SIS as high as they can (not necessarily at the max height - it depends where they'll put the SIS in the X axis I guess) to get the biggest tunnel entries possible, but still... we should see more variety in the intake designs, like in 2017 and before. We might see triangular, horizontal and, perhaps more old school square/vertical intakes again :!: :?:

Dunno if intakes à la Alfa C.37 (end of season) are still possible. MP4-26ish seem to be possible with a top SIS placed at the minimum height IMO

I'm going to change my position, the lowest the upper SIS can be is 460mm (at it's principal axis which I assume is through the centre of the mounting face) which I think is about where they are for the current cars with the high SP inlet. It could be possible to have the high SP inlet.
#aerogandalf

ClarkBT11

mzso wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 12:28
Blackout wrote:
Still a bit of a head-scratcher for me. Like how is dirty air remaining there less or better for slipstream, than "clean air" as you say.
When a F1 car runs close to another F1 car in the dirty air round a corner/straight it can loose up to 50% downforce.

Running in dirty air = Less downforce/ less drag, making the slip stream effect stronger.

Running in clean air = More downforce more drag, making the slip stream weaker.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Blackout wrote:
mzso wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/7JIv1QJ.jpg
RacecarEnginnering
Most of the aerowork in NASCAR is understanding pack dynamics, influence of the walls next to the car, side drafting, etc. I hope F1 is successful, but CFD is hard to get right (which it is in general) when you start throwing multiple vehicles. I’m holding my breath, but I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t work how they hope.

mzso
mzso

ClarkBT11 wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 15:24
When a F1 car runs close to another F1 car in the dirty air round a corner/straight it can loose up to 50% downforce.

Running in dirty air = Less downforce/ less drag, making the slip stream effect stronger.

Running in clean air = More downforce more drag, making the slip stream weaker.
Yeah, but where does this come from? You just wrote "less drag", without any reasoning.

godlameroso

Blackout wrote:
mzso wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/7JIv1QJ.jpg
RacecarEnginnering
That image only shows cars travelling in a straight line, race cars take corners too. One benefit the bargeboards had, was the nice high energy air on either flank of the car. Your image shows that as well, it also shows this is lost on the new cars, what isn't shown is the wake profile in yaw. Last gen cars gave drivers the ability to drive around the leading turbulence, to an extent. There won't be anything like that with the new cars.
Saishū kōnā