McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Re: McLaren MCL36

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 15:11
According to ‘Kyle.engineers’ the wing elements toward the end plate must be a render artefact because he cannot see how they would be legal with the rules. But to me, the render looks intentional 🤔
The wing on the actual car is substantially different to the renders

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 16:11
As well as the front being a pullrod it is also a multi link setup with the lower arms connecting to the hub separately instead of as a wishbone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLYeOmfXMAE ... name=large
Multi-link on the lower arms will change the camber when the wheels are steered.
That might be too finicky for the engineers to set-up so, unless it has massive benefits, I doubt it. :idea:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

billamend
billamend

I know nothing about aerodynamics and mechanical engineering, but the first time I saw the car it looked underdeveloped/basic. But it turns out that it has a lot of tricks on its sleeves.

Key hinted that they worked a lot on the mechanics and suspension of the car (because they couldn't work on aerodynamics). I'm very curious to see if they got it right, but I'm hopeful.

DiogoBrand

Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:41
timbo wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:29
trinidefender wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 16:11
As well as the front being a pullrod it is also a multi link setup with the lower arms connecting to the hub separately instead of as a wishbone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLYeOmfXMAE ... name=large
Oh, this front wing is totally different from the render!
And at the outside it really minimises the effect of the slots at the base of the end-plate. They are maximising outwash here.
What's curious is that they've created all those rules to minimize outwash, but looking at that front wing it seems to me that the outwash may be even more aggressive than last year. I wonder what that tape is for, though. I don't think it manages to hide anything.
Last edited by DiogoBrand on 12 Feb 2022, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

NicoS

DiogoBrand wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:36
Stu wrote:
timbo wrote:

And at the outside it really minimises the effect of the slots at the base of the end-plate. They are maximising outwash here.
What's curious is that they've created all those rules to minimize outwash, but looking at that front wing it seems to bme that the outwash may be even more aggressive than last year. I wonder what that tape is for, though. I don't think it manages to hide anything.
Yes, I think the "technical" "working" "group" have missed the ball totally.
They played on-side, but ball went Leg-side!
I do not think the inefficient rear wing and toy front wing will improve "following" of in front car!
I think it will make more troubles for following!

the EDGE
the EDGE

NicoS wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:41
DiogoBrand wrote:
Stu wrote:

What's curious is that they've created all those rules to minimize outwash, but looking at that front wing it seems to bme that the outwash may be even more aggressive than last year. I wonder what that tape is for, though. I don't think it manages to hide anything.
I do not think the inefficient rear wing and toy front wing will improve "following" of in front car!
simply by removing the overly complicated bargeboards that created immense outwash the FIA have made the cars follow each other better, to what degree is another question

Stu

the EDGE wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:49
NicoS wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

simply by removing the overly complicated bargeboards that created immense outwash the FIA have made the cars follow each other better, to what degree is another question
I’m really pleased that the barge boards have gone.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:51
the EDGE wrote:
NicoS wrote:

Agreed.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Can we assume that low speed problems of MCL36 were suspension related? Given that the suspensions were simplified, does this bode well for McLaren? If they were losing time due to it.

Quite happy with the car. Hopefully it is fast :).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 14:27
https://cullenfc.co.uk/xero/images/McLaren%202022c.jpg

Upscaled and enhanced look at the rear;
- Double element beam wing like the Aston.
- Lots of detail coming off the rear wheel cake tin.
- Some interesting details attached to the diffuser wall, didn't expect to see that.
- Deep spoon shape on the rear wing, good angle here to show just how much.
- Diffuser blocked off as expected.
Thanks!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 15:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:39
AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:28

Look at the gap between the rear face of the top front wing planes to the front face of the front tyres. The gap between the Aston Martin wing and its front tyres is bigger than that of the McLaren. Maybe the nose is shorter? or.. the front wing is bigger in depth?
https://i.imgur.com/wnZrd7I.jpg
Since the distance between axles is fixed, if the front wing is closer to the front tires, the rear will be farther away (and vice versa)

(Not to scale):

https://i.imgur.com/kKO8CMX.jpg
The wheelbase is not fixed. There are upper limits (3600mm), but they can go shorter. I think that there is also a lower limit, but need to check.
You are right! I am just making the wrong assumption that every team will have maximized the wheelbase 🧐
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 12 Feb 2022, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

NicoS wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
Stu wrote:

You do realise they had access to the immense computing power at AWS and were able to run 2 car simulations to actually check their theory in practice. Im sure they know a bit better than us all on here.

NicoS

Hoffman900 wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:52
Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:51
the EDGE wrote:

Agreed.
Initial barge board were good, like deflectors. then it just became total overkill. I mean drivers took the risk of loosing a leg just exiting the cockpit! :lol:

DiogoBrand

Mchamilton wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 20:03
NicoS wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

You do realise they had access to the immense computing power at AWS and were able to run 2 car simulations to actually check their theory in practice. Im sure they know a bit better than us all on here.
I woulnd't go to the extreme of saying they missed the ball completely, if there is a problem it's just a matter of tweaking the regulations for the next seasons.

But having the computing power from AWS means little when they can't predict what solutions the teams may come up with.

Blackout

DiogoBrand wrote:
Stu wrote:
timbo wrote:

What's curious is that they've created all those rules to minimize outwash, but looking at that front wing it seems to me that the outwash may be even more aggressive than last year. I wonder what that tape is for, though. I don't think it manages to hide anything.
This guy disagrees and says this front wing is almost fully inwashy

And these CFD tend to confirm it viewtopic.php?t=28657