2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

godlameroso wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 16:40
Well will you look at that, they made a cape out of the inner section of the front wing, I wonder where they got that idea from, other forum experts assured us it was illegal to do so. :lol:
Don't want to appear rude but I struggle to see anything cape-like in that front wing.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Zynerji

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:01
As for milk, in simple terms the mammary glands are modified sweat glands and milk is, in effect, modified sweat.

Think about that when you put some in your coffee... :lol:
Yum. But I have my coffee black :lol:
Black Coffee 4 Life!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 14:45
does the water vapour here correlate with what aero people expect to see wake wise from these new cars? (particularly at the rear)

https://i.imgur.com/tk0dcPf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nrvO9Gh.jpg
Well will you look at that, they made a cape out of the inner section of the front wing, I wonder where they got that idea from, other forum experts assured us it was illegal to do so. :lol:
Really? Where's the cape?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 17:29
godlameroso wrote:
Don't want to appear rude but I struggle to see anything cape-like in that front wing.
Really you don't see the raised leading edge? Looks like a cape to me.
Saishū kōnā

cooken
cooken

godlameroso wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 19:56
jjn9128 wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 17:29
godlameroso wrote:
Maybe you can edit an image to highlight/describe what you're talking about, because I don't see anything resembling a cape either.

JordanMugen

godlameroso wrote:
What a bizarre front wing! So it's loaded in the middle, near the nose of the car. How unusual.

So where everyone else wants to feed that central air to the floor, Alfa Romeo want to lift that up and draw air under the nose for the floor or something? Wouldn't it mean less massflow for the floor?

For whatever reason, Alfa Romeo want more massflow outboard, for outwashing and hitting the front tyres and what not? :?:

Isn't the cape a downwashing device, as opposed to an upwashing front wing? :?:

godlameroso wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 19:56
You mean the forward most mainplane? I see. Like a mini-cape, as opposed to what we've seen before? :)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Is this our first bit of real-world flow-viz? On the FW44 at the shakedown, it appears to be a vortex but could just be a thin stream of water I guess. Anyway it appears to run where one might expect them to run a vortex down towards the floor edge device.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 20:52

The cape was a device that worked with the Y250 vortex. These cars don't have a Y250 vortex anymore although there are attempts to do similar using the flap adjusters.

JordanMugen

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:04
JordanMugen wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 20:52

The cape was a device that worked with the Y250 vortex. These cars don't have a Y250 vortex anymore although there are attempts to do similar using the flap adjusters.
I see, very interesting.

The Williams front wing seems to be loaded more in the centre, more like the Alfa Romeo, although not in such an extreme way as the Alfa.

Whereas with the aggressive discontinuity on the Alfa Romeo, are they trying to shed a Y250-ish vortex (albeit rotating the opposite way)?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:05

The Williams front wing seems to be loaded more in the centre, more like the Alfa Romeo, although not in such an extreme way as the Alfa.

https://i.imgur.com/hnNWFii.jpeg

Whereas with the aggressive discontinuity on the Alfa Romeo, are they trying to shed a Y250-ish vortex (albeit rotating the opposite way)?
The Alfa front wing appears, to my amateur eyes, to be trying to open the space between the nose and the front flap to aid airflow through to the underside of the tub and hence floor. Placing this single front flap lower would give some downforce too, I suppose. Then they have the front edge raise up which would give an increase in camber of the whole front wing here which would give more downforce, then they remove the camber totally at the outermost ends in order to get the ends developing an outwash flow.

It looks like it's trying to do lots of jobs.

Looking at it again, I wonder if the low central section under the nose is about downforce, the raised sections either side are then about airflow to the floor but, with camber, they also make good front wing downforce. Outer ends as above.

That's just looking at it twice with different ideas. :lol:

Really, most of us haven't got much of a clue what they're trying to achieve. Maybe our resident aero guys will chime in.

AeroDynamic

Another shot with more dense water vapour of the FW44 in Silverstone. I tried to darken it to isolate a bit more detail within the vapour at the rear. Hope that provides a extra offer of insight into what these new cars wake is doing.

for me this looks favourable? the most dense part does appear to be roughly where they wanted it: Above the main wing and a lot less dense directly behind the car's diffuser

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Yep,.! That definitely looks like SNAFU to me. Barcelona should prove to be a proper Lark and they know it. No cameras allowed see!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Are these vortices created by the floor?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The wake does seems higher than in the previous generation of cars:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 01:58
Are these vortices created by the floor?

https://i.imgur.com/DtQ1oPM.jpg
They're the same as the previous cars in the wet:

At a guess, it's the tyre's wake rather than the floor edge.