Williams FW44

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Re: Williams FW44

Interesting vortices ahead of the rear wheel. Also the winglet thing on the bottom of the front wheel fairing seems to be interacting with the floor quite a lot

Pandamasque

I wonder how long it will take FIA to ban gills in that area, if teams figure out it's most beneficial to use bluff upper sidepods as bargeboards while venting air straight through the top of them.

godlameroso

Big inlet little outlet, maybe they're trying to exploit the Meridth effect that was used on the P51D Mustang's radiators.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 19:10
Big inlet little outlet, maybe they're trying to exploit the Meridth effect that was used on the P51D Mustang's radiators.
It was used in the Hurricane and Spitfire too, before the P-51 ever existed (well before WW2 existed, in fact), although the P-51 did take it further than either of those earlier planes did.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Gecko
Gecko

godlameroso wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 19:10
The only reason you would want a small inlet is if your body behind the inlet is limiting your size, i.e. you'd sacrifice external drag for getting the inlet larger. That does not seem to be the case with the sidepod designs, and Williams is the only team that seems to be fully aware of that tradeoff. The reason is that external diffusion of flow via blockage effects, using a generous inlet compared to the outlet, is much more efficient than internal diffusion through a diffuser combined with a small inlet. Also, with good pressure recovery, there can be some Meredith effect indeed, but the most important thing is that the air exiting the cooling outlet will be faster, and the outlet smaller if you get the pressure recovery sorted out well, which will help with getting more high energy air into the area of the rear wing and beam wing/diffuser.

Moctecus

This video has some (potato quality) video footage of the car leaving the garage. I cannot find where it originates from.

(starts at 0:53)

Some potato quality screen caps:

Francesc
Francesc

Impressive sidepods. On the sideview you can see the outlet that Tomazy and Scarbs mentioned.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Maybe a bit better resolution:

RZS10

If there is an outlet then it really isn't that big, but the same darker spot appears on the right sidepod a few frames after the one SmallSoldier just posted which would imply that it's not just some weird artifact, reflection etc

f1rules
f1rules

this is interesting for sure! but actually seem they guide the air outwards, and not straight down towards the diffuser

edit

no, the light fooled me, definitly straight down the ramp

JPower
JPower

Sort of like McLaren, it looks like they've used similar features to their 2021 car for 2022. The FW43B also had short, downwashing sidepods. Would be interesting if there is an outlet on the back of them.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

RZS10 wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 22:18
If there is an outlet then it really isn't that big, but the same darker spot appears on the right sidepod a few frames after the one SmallSoldier just posted which would imply that it's not just some weird artifact, reflection etc
I think that the darker spot is a crash structure "bump" similar to the one McLaren has, given that the car is blue it looks very dark/black as it is at a different angle to the light.

I don't see any louvers either.

RZS10

True, maybe the conclusion should be that whatever it is - it's on both sides. hehe

tomazy
tomazy

There was one thing that I couldn't explain to myself in my theory, and that was why wasnt the opening visible from the front. On this video, it is looking like the opening is at the side of the sidepod only, and that Williams is using it as an outwash mechanisem. When I looked at the image from the front with that knowlage, I saw that there is a strut inside that is connected to the wall going towards the side (blue outline), chanelling the air to the hole. You can also see daylight inside the sidepod (circuled in red). I think there is a part that you can even see the rear tire throu the sidepod.

godlameroso

Maybe that's just a separate duct that's apart from the radiator cooling ducts?
Saishū kōnā