Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes W13

Via Scarbs
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

InsaneX_Badger

Think all the pictures just posted above me are sensors?

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

So odds on this being the most tightly packaged 2022 car? only alpine and RBR can trump it but I cannot get over how tightly packaged it is, and I thought the Mclaren is tight (though does seem they are purposely chonking it a bit for aero reasons).

AMG.Tzan

What is this exhaust shape?? Looks like the trumpet they were trialing back in 2016...

Update: Hell...it was just the beam wing playing head games :lol:
Last edited by AMG.Tzan on 18 Feb 2022, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

AeroDynamic

why does the endplate look like a J shape from this angle? Is it tapering towards the top ?

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 18 Feb 2022, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

organic

AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:01
What is this exhaust shape?? Looks like the trumpet they were trialing back in 2016...
It is an illusion caused by the beam wing overlapping with the exhaust from this angle. It's a regular shape, the same as other teams - no trumpet.

AeroDynamic

Thanks, yes it is 'pointy' in shape the end plates

AeroDynamic

still fascinated by their approach to this side pod via this angle.

frosty125
frosty125

Not a particularly radical direction. Compromise between outwash, clean air to the diffuser via an undercut and clean air to the beam wing with the downwash, outwash side pods.

Henri
Henri

Reminds me of the w09 & w10 but with the ground affect floor..

AMG.Tzan

Though the car looks simple compared to Ferrari or Aston Martin at first glance...there are quite many tricky bits here and there!

1. The cockpit is so far forward compared to the other teams. They must be trying to make the underbody or the neutral section of it as long as possible! Or maybe they're trying to house the engine inside the neutral section of the floor so that it doesn't have a negative effect on the size of the underbody tunnels!
2. The front wing seems outboard-loaded and almost neutral at the center most likely to encourage airflow to the underbody!
3. Sidepods quite nicely sculptured to resemble a bargeboard almost. They're trying to create outwash there
4. Floor also looks quite a bit sculptured with "waves" at the sides of it! These "waves" seem to create some kind of vortex creation that seals the sides of the floor (anyone with better knowledge please comment).
5. No apparent radiator exits nor any louvres at the moment! Has Mercedes HPP made such a heat resistant engine?? :lol:

All in all, I love the shape of the car! Looks so nice and the cockpit being so far forward reminds me of the old pre-1995 days when the cars had cockpits so close to the front axle! Since the 1995 rule change cars have always looked so long-nosed with the cockpits so far forward from the front axle! =D>
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

LM10
LM10

DragonSGC wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:00
So odds on this being the most tightly packaged 2022 car? only alpine and RBR can trump it but I cannot get over how tightly packaged it is, and I thought the Mclaren is tight (though does seem they are purposely chonking it a bit for aero reasons).
Most teams seem to not have gone for the tightest possible packaging. After Mercedes the Williams is the tightest. It’s unlikely they are the only ones who managed it. Binotto told that they could have packaged tighter, but for aerodynamic reasons decided not to, just to give an example and therefore there still is room left to modify, if needed/wished.
Last edited by LM10 on 18 Feb 2022, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

F1Krof

The nose looks way more pointer and slimmer on the render though.
Wroom wroom

LM10
LM10

The car looks pretty clean. The overall shape reminds of it’s predecessor(s). The sidepod design to generate out wash is an interesting idea. It’s like a little part of bargeboard sits on the sidepod, clever!