2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:51
We have to reserve judgement until we see what these cars lap times look like on track. But Mercedes design looks the most 'safe' and familiar of all the cars. It does look like the same car in its approach to these regs in the body philosophy.
I actually find that it doesn’t bear much resemblance to previous chassis shapes at all. Scarbs seems to be of the same opinion.

Regarding the “safe” comment, this car looks to have levels of complexity and detail reminiscent of the previous generation of cars. All of the other launch cars thus far had almost looked like tweaks on the 2022 show car, which itself looked like a basic IndyCar spec car.

So, for me, it’s not a matter of safety. It’s a matter of taking attributes of an inherently higher-performing generation of cars and being able to integrate them into this generation.

This approach has numerous benefits. I’m sure the RB will have a similar approach.

AeroDynamic

zibby43 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:12
AeroDynamic wrote:
We have to reserve judgement until we see what these cars lap times look like on track. But Mercedes design looks the most 'safe' and familiar of all the cars. It does look like the same car in its approach to these regs in the body philosophy.
I actually find that it doesn’t bear much resemblance to previous chassis shapes at all. Scarbs seems to be of the same opinion.

Regarding the “safe” comment, this car looks to have levels of complexity and detail reminiscent of the previous generation of cars. All of the other launch cars thus far had almost looked like tweaks on the 2022 show car, which itself looked like a basic IndyCar spec car.

So, for me, it’s not a matter of safety. It’s a matter of taking attributes of an inherently higher-performing generation of cars and being able to integrate them into this generation.

This approach has numerous benefits. I’m sure the RB will have a similar approach.

I trust your opinions, Scarbs naturally. Just saying as someone who wouldn't know any Aero, the car doesn't look that different to untrained eyes from previous cars in the way its shape. The Ferrari and AMR22 look like a completely different type of car.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 18 Feb 2022, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

zibby43
zibby43

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:15
zibby43 wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

And that on the contrary, this car looks to have levels of complexity and detail reminiscent of the previous generation of cars. All of the other launch cars thus far had almost looked like tweaks on the 2022 show car, which itself looked like a basic IndyCar spec car.
I trust your opinions, Scarbs naturally. Just saying as someone who wouldn't know any Aero, the car doesn't look that different to untrained eyes from previous cars in the way its shape. The Ferrari and AMR22 look like a completely different type of car.
Oh I understand where you’re coming from. I think the biggest example of what you mention is the general packaging of the Merc, which has somehow gotten even tighter this year.

AeroDynamic

zibby43 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:19
AeroDynamic wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

And that on the contrary, this car looks to have levels of complexity and detail reminiscent of the previous generation of cars. All of the other launch cars thus far had almost looked like tweaks on the 2022 show car, which itself looked like a basic IndyCar spec car.
Oh I understand where you’re coming from. I think the biggest example of what you mention is the general packaging of the Merc, which has somehow gotten even tighter this year.
That part is impressive. Thanks for sharing your insight as it helps me to understand what they're trying to achieve with more context :D

zibby43
zibby43

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:25
zibby43 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:19
AeroDynamic wrote:

That part is impressive. Thanks for sharing your insight as it helps me to understand what they're trying to achieve with more context :D
Thank you for the kind words and for facilitating an enjoyable discussion. That’s what makes these reveal days fun!

AeroDynamic

Grey? what grey?? :D

dans79

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:54
Grey? what grey?? :D

It's going to take me awhile to get used to how close the floors are to the ground compared to last year (even the merc).
201 105 104 9 9 7

AeroDynamic

Lewis Hamilton's first interview since last season. Mans is coming back sticking his chest out. =D>
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60431001
"If you think what you saw at the end of last year was my best, wait till you see this year."

"There was a moment when I lost a little bit of faith in the system," said Hamilton.

"But I am generally a very determined person.

"And while moments like this might define careers, I refuse to let this define mine."

PlatinumZealot

George is very photogenic and great speaker. So easy to listen to. He reminds me of Nigel Mansell somewhat. Lewis already notices that and I see some nervousness in trying to be as smooth as George is. Good thing is he already had three years beside Button who is another well spoken, presentable gentleman character, so he can draw on that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AeroDynamic

Mercedes-AMG W13 E Performance
Silverstone

#44 Hamilton

#63 Russell

fritticaldi

Those seashell vains right infront of the Eperformance logo are supposed to deflect dirty air . I believe Brawn and the FIA had prohibited these . No other team has them . Does anyone have the rulebook available to them ? Seems to me that Mercedes are tinkering with the rules . Rival teams will have noted this and surely submit a protest.

Herr_Koos

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 21:26
Those seashell vains right infront of the Eperformance logo are supposed to deflect dirty air . I believe Brawn and the FIA had prohibited these . No other team has them . Does anyone have the rulebook available to them ? Seems to me that Mercedes are tinkering with the rules . Rival teams will have noted this and surely submit a protest.
Very few other teams have given us a clear look at their actual floor design.

adrianjordan

So has George changed his number or was that a nod to Grojean?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:46
So has George changed his number or was that a nod to Grojean?
nope, just a 63.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 21:26
What? If you don’t know if it’s allowed, why assume that there would be protests?… In addition, the only car that can be protested is one that is part of an actual GP