2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fritticaldi

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Giorgio Piola who is a well respected journalist and illustrator of F1 cars for a very long time has brought this up. Its possible there are some elements on the W13 that are not legal . Rival teams will question this to the FIA.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The new 63 font for George Russell does look like an 8 🤔

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:15
Giorgio Piola who is a well respected journalist and illustrator of F1 cars for a very long time has brought this up. Its possible there are some elements on the W13 that are not legal . Rival teams will question this to the FIA.
They can enquire about it and ask for clarification… But there are no “protests”

Can you share Piola’s article saying that they are illegal? Would love to read it… Thanks!

f1jcw
f1jcw

Done a search, it’s mentioned in video titles which not watched

This menotions it in the search but doesn’t back it up

https://akhbarchi.com/whats-behind-merc ... f1-design/

siskue2005

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:15
Please post links, thank you

mwillems

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/video ... content=it

The headline is Piola: Mercedes already puts the new rules in crisis. Not directly claiming it is illegal in the headline at least but he's right, it's directly challenging what is right and wrong, and most likely revealed at this early stage to ensure they can make changes in time for the start of the season.

There is going to be a reaction to this and the reaction is likely to shape the future of this Formula.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

mwillems wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:46

The headline is Piola: Mercedes already puts the new rules in crisis. Not directly claiming it is illegal in the headline at least but he's right, it's directly challenging what is right and wrong, and most likely revealed at this early stage to ensure they can make changes in time for the start of the season.

There is going to be a reaction to this and the reaction is likely to shape the future of this Formula.
I can barely make it out, but the RBR floor in the grainy video looked to have some edge treatments as well.

It would be eyebrow raising too if the AT and RB showed up with a lot of similarities, which from what I can see, they do.

Let the politics begin!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:

Yes, Piola is not seeing it is illegal… But that in his opinion is going against the spirit of the rules… But, what is going against it? That they are pushing air outwards potentially with the wavy floor? Every team is doing that in one way or another… Pushing the tire wake outwards continues to be the name of the game in F1.

Furthermore, the teams have been discussing their solutions with the FIA to ensure legality, so I doubt there is anything “illegal” about it… The one thing that I find interesting is that they already brought a solution such as that one last year since testing, but they drop it with their upgrade package at Silverstone.

mwillems

Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:53
mwillems wrote:

I can barely make it out, but the RBR floor in the grainy video looked to have some edge treatments as well.

It would be eyebrow raising too if the AT and RB showed up with a lot of similarities.

Let the politics begin!
I didn't watch the video, just saw the headline, there are other links if you search for the Italian headline "Mercedes già mette in crisi le nuove regole?" But I just watched the one on Motorsport.com and it is all Italian which I don't speak. It would be nice if someome were to be able to interperet, but I'm not sure that is strictly necessary, I think we all know it is pushing the boundaries and it will be interesting to see if Brawn uses his ability to ban a development based on the spirit of the rules. Particularly given that the current political travails still rumble on.

Fun times, but nevertheless, as a fan of F1 it is a nice interpretation and hats off to great engineers. As a Mclaren fan, I hope it doesn't work or gets banned :mrgreen: :twisted:

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:59
mwillems wrote:

Yes, Piola is not seeing it is illegal… But that in his opinion is going against the spirit of the rules… But, what is going against it? That they are pushing air outwards potentially with the wavy floor? Every team is doing that in one way or another… Pushing the tire wake outwards continues to be the name of the game in F1.

Furthermore, the teams have been discussing their solutions with the FIA to ensure legality, so I doubt there is anything “illegal” about it… The one thing that I find interesting is that they already brought a solution such as that one last year since testing, but they drop it with their upgrade package at Silverstone.
Well it is a blunt force bargeboard in all but name, which they are trying to move away from and everyone knows they are trying to prevent, it's not the same as using the sidepods, it sits further forward and conditions the flow lower down in exactly the area the bargeboards used to be. If it is allowed in then well done, great interpretation. I doubt other teams didn't see it but chose to not push it or to see if someone else tries it, but Mercedes rolled the dice on this one and are testing the waters nice and early.

it's no coincidence it is blunt force, it is introducing a concept and seeing how it washes, but there is no reason this area can't do a lot more and that is what would undermine the intention of the rules.

When is a bargeboard not a bargeboard?
Last edited by mwillems on 19 Feb 2022, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

I’m reminded of Adrian Newey’s tale of Ferrari copying his stuff and when they couldn’t get it to work, lobbied to have it ban. And Steve Nichol’s tale of Ferrari banning Mclaren’s rear brake steer, then later proposing a solution to the FIA, only to find out their solution is what they had banned.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

mwillems wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:02
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Well it is a blunt force bargeboard in all but name, which they are trying to move away from and everyone knows they are trying to prevent, it's not the same as using the sidepods, it sits further forward and conditions the flow lower down in exactly the area the bargeboards used to be. If it is allowed in then well done, great interpretation. I doubt other teams didn't see it but chose to not push it or to see if someone else tries it, but Mercedes rolled the dice on this one and are testing the waters nice and early.
I bet they did, but we haven’t seen the RedBull or real Mclaren floor yet.

If illegal, Mercedes isn’t the only one to play these games.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 19 Feb 2022, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Hoffman900 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:04
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I'm impressed and happy they have. The season is starting with very different designs and the pushing of the rules in an era defined as being too homologated. How wrong they were. Still the designs of the cars are not out of reach of each other so they could converge relatively quickly, but I like how it has started to unfold and as I say, I applaud this design bravado.

-Bandit

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

mwillems wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:05
Hoffman900 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I'm impressed and happy they have. The season is starting with very different designs and the pushing of the rules in an era defined as being too homologated. How wrong they were.
Absolutely.

There does appear to be two design trends between all the teams. Curious to see how things go moving forward.

mwillems

Hoffman900 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:07
mwillems wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:05
Hoffman900 wrote:

I'm impressed and happy they have. The season is starting with very different designs and the pushing of the rules in an era defined as being too homologated. How wrong they were.
Absolutely.

There does appear to be two design trends between all the teams. Curious to see how things go moving forward.
Yeah I'm not seeing the Mercedes tunnel entrances as a philosophy as such, more a huge set of impressive balls.

-Bandit