Alpha Tauri AT03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Alpha Tauri AT03

The floor strakes direct the flow that outwashes from the bottom of the floor right before that winglet. That will be ducted accelerated air and will create a vortex along the outer edge of the floor. From there, the winglet does one of two things, it either adds more rotation to the vortex, or...it's to feed the floor itself. It is a venturi tunnel after all.

In a traditional venturi, you have a duct, and then an auxiliary fluid supply at the throat. The auxilary fluid supply accelerates the fluid after the throat creating the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet.

Are the tunnels being used in the same way here? The floor inlet can only ingest so much air, but you can create a strong low pressure at the inlet.

Perhaps the furniture at the floor accepts that high pressure air kicked out by the strakes, and then channels it into the diffuser to create the venturi effect like in this video.

On top of that, since the outwash air is high energy, the flow over the floor can interact at oblique angles with the outwash flow and induce rotation, creating a powerful in-washing vortex.
Saishū kōnā

wowgr8
wowgr8

Pandamasque wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 20:21
Airbox area/engine cover is way thicker than this year's Alpine, more like the 2021 Alpine.

https://i.postimg.cc/6QSyRKpf/image-202 ... 202048.png

An absolute unit.
That area seems like it will be wider on most centreline cooling cars this year because they don't have as much "sharkfin" area in the rules to take up with cooling this year if that makes sense

timbo
timbo

godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 20:38
The floor strakes direct the flow that outwashes from the bottom of the floor right before that winglet. That will be ducted accelerated air and will create a vortex along the outer edge of the floor. From there, the winglet does one of two things, it either adds more rotation to the vortex, or...it's to feed the floor itself. It is a venturi tunnel after all.

In a traditional venturi, you have a duct, and then an auxiliary fluid supply at the throat. The auxilary fluid supply accelerates the fluid after the throat creating the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet.

Are the tunnels being used in the same way here? The floor inlet can only ingest so much air, but you can create a strong low pressure at the inlet.
https://files.catbox.moe/s08yrn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qURoEHY.jpeg
Perhaps the furniture at the floor accepts that high pressure air kicked out by the strakes, and then channels it into the diffuser to create the venturi effect like in this video.

On top of that, since the outwash air is high energy, the flow over the floor can interact at oblique angles with the outwash flow and induce rotation, creating a powerful in-washing vortex.
I don't think it pushes the flow back. It seems most cars have elements to produce a front diffuser effect.
I guess the floor as per rules has a rather rearward CoP and teams try to move it forward.

Blackout

timbo wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 21:18
I guess the floor as per rules has a rather rearward CoP and teams try to move it forward.
The rules want forward CoP

godlameroso

Blackout wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 21:33
timbo wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 21:18
The rules want forward CoP
Precisely, the COP seems to be around the gas tank/front of the engine area. The split turbo lets you move the engine closer to the front, letting you put the COP closer to the COG.

Image Right near that flick up. Where the Alp letters are.
Last edited by godlameroso on 22 Feb 2022, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

Fancy floor. Very detailed.
This car is getting more refined as if to be equally fast as their redbull cpunterparts. That would make for a fun season!
About time Gasly got his own redbull.

The floor is very stepped. Even where the side pods meet the floor at the rear end you can see the degree to which the floor is convexed.

I am not seeing even the detail on the edges of the floor by the other teams.

The rest of the car looks straight forward. Push rods on the back end to make room for sidepods, but not seeing a clear benefit for the floor.
For Sure!!

Zynerji

ringo wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 22:02
Fancy floor. Very detailed.
The rest of the car looks straight forward. Push rods on the back end to make room for sidepods, but not seeing a clear benefit for the floor.
To me, it looks like the undercut flow folds back toward the rear diffusor area. It seems like a pull-rod would be very undesirable if that is the case, as it would be a blockage, where the push-rod setup makes for a much cleaner path towards the diffusor top.

I'm smitten by the fact that this could be a super surprise performer in the early season!

Gecko
Gecko

Some very nice demonstration of how this type of sidepod is good at pushing the front wheel wake to the side

godlameroso

Nice in-washing vortex.
Saishū kōnā

JordanMugen

RZS10 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 19:24
They run three strakes under the mirrors, wonder how they'll try to argue that those are somehow a mirror mount - or are they allowed to do whatever as long as it is within certain dimensions?
https://i.imgur.com/EQm8S7Y.png
It would seem so! Mercedes were the first to show this to the public, and AlphaTauri shows a more developed version with 'mirror mounts' in the permitted 'shadow' of the mirror which now aren't even attached to the mirror at all. :P

Good spot!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The mirror vanes on this car are amusing. They aren't even trying to hide their butchering of the regulations. :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

Zynerji

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 03:44
The mirror vanes on this car are amusing. They aren't even trying to hide their butchering of the regulations. :lol:
Fortune favors the brave!

McMika98
McMika98

Anyone notice the car pitch back and forth repeatedly whilst braking and turning in the slow corner.
Too early to dail up a setting for shakedown but it does show that 2022 will test the driver a lot more especially in slow and medium corner. Depwnding on the philosophy the Cp could ahift massively under hard braking and slow corners.
The one driver that excelled with changing aero balance is Max as seen in last few years.

AeroDynamic

Floor detail close up AT!

Mirror winglets close up

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.

godlameroso

AeroDynamic wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:33
Floor detail close up AT!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMScxeZXMAI ... name=large
Image :?:.

Saishū kōnā