McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPower
JPower

Re: McLaren MCL36

Nicktendo86 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:29
Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:23
I am guessing the scheduled updated package for Bahrain is significant, and this is just a testing spec they are using for correlation.

Because McLaren is really having no care at all today about what they show from their car.
Yeah it’s utterly bizarre, are there new rules that they can’t put screens up or something?
What is there to hide? I don't think I've seen anything from any team that couldn't be easily found out or copied.

Marc.W

Pretty sure they banned screens a few years back

Macklaren
Macklaren

Nicktendo86 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:29
Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:23
I am guessing the scheduled updated package for Bahrain is significant, and this is just a testing spec they are using for correlation.

Because McLaren is really having no care at all today about what they show from their car.
Yeah it’s utterly bizarre, are there new rules that they can’t put screens up or something?
Must be -- Merc's new floor was just lying out in the open, post-lunch as well

f1rules
f1rules

I think someone in here even showed the solution with drawings about the impact structure and that was long time ago from one of mclarens published pictures

Yes the user wogx on page 12 in the speculation thread, nailed the concept

AeroDynamic

floor detail ahead of rear wheels

f1rules
f1rules

amus

the EDGE
the EDGE

Marc.W wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:31
They banned screens with the exception of when doing major work under the skin of the car, or taking the floor off. Whether that has now changed to a total ban I do not know

What's more strange is if there is now a total ban, which I assume there must be for McLaren to do this, why was there not a pool of mechanics standing in the way al la Redbull style, until they could put a cover over it... or is that somehow banned too

For me, this picture is like showing someone you poker hand at the start of the round, Bizar, given all the secrecy we had just a few days ago

Zynerji

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:06
Marc.W wrote:
They banned screens with the exception of when doing major work under the skin of the car, or taking the floor off. Whether that has now changed to a total ban I do not know

What's more strange is if there is now a total ban, which I assume there must be for McLaren to do this, why was there not a pool of mechanics standing in the way al la Redbull style, until they could put a cover over it... or is that somehow banned too

For me, this picture is like showing someone you poker hand at the start of the round, Bizar, given all the secrecy we had just a few days ago
Maybe the cost cap has greatly reduced the teams ability to reverse engineer, so they just don't give s hoot?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:15
the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:06
Marc.W wrote:

Maybe the cost cap has greatly reduced the teams ability to reverse engineer, so they just don't give s hoot?
I think $140M is plenty enough to copy someone's ideas... Tracing Point did it for an awful lot less

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Apparently McLaren run their car lowest of all teams today in testing (trying to find wear points in the floor?)… Only car throwing sparks on track:

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:06
Apparently McLaren run their car lowest of all teams today in testing (trying to find wear points in the floor?)… Only car throwing sparks on track:

Related to the really thick t tray perhaps?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Nicktendo86 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:06

Related to the really thick t tray perhaps?
It seems to be more related to overall car ride height than the T-Tray itself

Emag
Emag

Does anyone know if any onboard footage will come out from this test? It's a damn shame if there is not. You read a bit into potential fuel loads and handling characteristics from an onboard video. Would have liked to see the onboard video of Lando's lap today for example. A lot of people are just straight up saying it was a glory run (which doesn't make sense why McLaren would do this to be honest), but I don't think it was a glory run as the stint was long-ish and the speed trap numbers were not that high.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:26
Does anyone know if any onboard footage will come out from this test? It's a damn shame if there is not. You read a bit into potential fuel loads and handling characteristics from an onboard video. Would have liked to see the onboard video of Lando's lap today for example. A lot of people are just straight up saying it was a glory run (which doesn't make sense why McLaren would do this to be honest), but I don't think it was a glory run as the stint was long-ish and the speed trap numbers were not that high.
Who’s claiming it’s a glory run?
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:28
Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:26
Who’s claiming it’s a glory run?
I'm def not saying it was a glory run (it was not) but Lando's attempt to play it down in the post-test interview by saying "we had a diff run plan" probably feeds the glory run narrative