Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
matt_s
matt_s

Re: Mercedes W13

AMG.Tzan wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 17:11
Of course I don't expect Mercedes to bring a totally different concept but I expect them to reshape at least the floor and the sidepods maybe the front wing-nose also!
I'd be surprised if they have a significant change to the sidepods. They have already tested three different engine covers, with 2 different configurations of louvres. Very unlikely they're doing that testing with the expectation they're going to subsequently change the sidepod flow structures.

zibby43
zibby43

OO7 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 17:17
pursue_one's wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 16:53
According to rumors from the paddock, Mercedes will bring to the track a car that is substantially different from the one that is running(barcelona), because it will introduce solutions that are the result of a thorough analysis of the 2022 regulations, trying to interpret the gray areas of the rules.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... a/8459288/
If that was from AMuS I'd follow it a little more closely, from Franco Nugnes though...........hmm :?:
The next time Motorsport Italy is right will be the first time.

AeroDynamic

flowViz on the Mercedes side pods, forward suspension, and wings.

OO7
OO7

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

AeroDynamic wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 17:25
a look at the packaging internals of the Mercedes
They're clearly pushed their concept even further this year. Push the fuel tank rearwards and outwards (or this year just move the rads forward) which allows them to bury the radiators into tub in Y to create their ultra slim design.

Very much an architecture choice.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Owen.C93 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 18:38
AeroDynamic wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMSomefXsAE ... name=large
They're clearly pushed their concept even further this year. Push the fuel tank rearwards and outwards (or this year just move the rads forward) which allows them to bury the radiators into tub in Y to create their ultra slim design.

It's also worth noting that it's easier for them to add side pod volume if that is the way to go. If shrink wrapping proves to be the answer, other teams will have a lot of packaging work to do before they can reduce side pod volume.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mantikos
mantikos

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:25
Owen.C93 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 18:38
AeroDynamic wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMSomefXsAE ... name=large

It's also worth noting that it's easier for them to add side pod volume if that is the way to go. If shrink wrapping proves to be the answer, other teams will have a lot of packaging work to do before they can reduce side pod volume.
100%

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I still have the feeling that this car is not the real car. It looks like.last year's car with this year's wings and floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see something different at the next test / first race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

SiLo

Worked out for them in 2019... Just. Its a solid plan though, if you have a newer set of rules and you feel that correlating CFD and wind tunnel data to real world will net you bigger performance gains throughout the year, then using something with simpler, more understood flow structures at the first test to do that would work.
Felipe Baby!

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:27
I still have the feeling that this car is not the real car. It looks like.last year's car with this year's wings and floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see something different at the next test / first race.
As I’ve said previously in this thread, I just don’t see that (that it looks like last year’s car). The packaging, suspension, side pod solution, etc. are all completely new. In addition to the aero surfaces/furniture like wings, etc.

I think (correct me if I am wrong) that the impression you are getting stems from the fact that Merc have been able to make some sophisticated and elegant solutions, generally, from the previous rules possible for 2022, whereas other teams have not.

gastonmazzacane

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:47
Worked out for them in 2019... Just. Its a solid plan though, if you have a newer set of rules and you feel that correlating CFD and wind tunnel data to real world will net you bigger performance gains throughout the year, then using something with simpler, more understood flow structures at the first test to do that would work.
That would double CDF projects and tunnel data. Kinda expensive with new set of rules IMHO.

motobaleno

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:47
it's solid but rather money-consuming also. I'm not sure that in the cap age it would be a win move.

SiLo

Well these rules aren't for one year, and Mercedes are clearly a team that are very conscious of timelines longer than others it seems.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:53
Well these rules aren't for one year, and Mercedes are clearly a team that are very conscious of timelines longer than others it seems.
A good example to back up your point is that they developed and ran a wavy floor last year. so some of that knowledge was used to design this years car!
201 105 104 9 9 7