McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pierrre
pierrre

Re: McLaren MCL36

CjC wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 23:22
Could that that cut out ‘flap’ on the side of the floor which is on what could be described as hinges be the trick which is helping Mclaren avoid the porpoising?
Potentially allowing air to leak out in an controlled manner when it’s bottoming out?
yes that would make a difference

McL-H
McL-H

Russell tips the McLaren and Ferrari to be the cars to beat https://www.planetf1.com/news/george-r ... es-behind/

godlameroso

CjC wrote:
Could that that cut out ‘flap’ on the side of the floor which is on what could be described as hinges be the trick which is helping Mclaren avoid the porpoising?
Potentially allowing air to leak out in an controlled manner when it’s bottoming out?
It's allowing air to leak in and continue the train of air through the tunnel. Maintain mass flow and you don't get changes in downforce. Think of it as a secondary air supply. The more air you move through the diffuser, the more air you will flow through the tunnel and the inlet.
Saishū kōnā

dialtone
dialtone

godlameroso wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 02:15
CjC wrote:
It's allowing air to leak in and continue the train of air through the tunnel. Maintain mass flow and you don't get changes in downforce. Think of it as a secondary air supply. The more air you move through the diffuser, the more air you will flow through the tunnel and the inlet.
Both Ferrari and Mercedes have the same curl on the side of the diffuser. Whatever that curl does to help, I don't think it's enough.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

A little fun fact about the picture… McLaren painted the left side of the car only because when coming back onto the pits, the rival teams are on the right side of the car, therefore making it a bit more difficult for them to see the flow on the car when returning from their run.

f1rules
f1rules

Question, out of curiosity i went through the comparison pics, looking if there is anything Fer McL share and set them apart from the others, and actually there is. They both use the sidepods to create outwash, they almost all do i know, but the difference, theirs are much much further forward. And listening to kyle.engineer it seem with that layout, they move the pressure zone forward creating more df at the front, maybe its one of the things helping them? Palmer on F1 tv again mentioning they both have very good frontends?

Mclaren: 12:05-13:50

Ferrari: 13:10-14:30

Further with this solution they must have a lot more weight center/forward

compared to the rb18, the difference in weight distribution must be significant
And im not trying to suggest one is better
Last edited by f1rules on 25 Feb 2022, 08:54, edited 4 times in total.

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 08:04
A little fun fact about the picture… McLaren painted the left side of the car only because when coming back onto the pits, the rival teams are on the right side of the car, therefore making it a bit more difficult for them to see the flow on the car when returning from their run.
Hehe, that’s clever! 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

Vanja #66

f1rules wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 08:23
Question, out of curiosity i went through the comparison pics, looking if there is anything Fer McL share and set them apart from the others, and actually there is. They both use the sidepods to create outwash, they almost all do i know, but the difference, theirs are much much further forward. And listening to kyle.engineer it seem with that layout, they move the pressure zone forward creating more df at the front, maybe its one of the things helping them? Palmer on F1 tv again mentioning they both have very good frontends?
If you are asking this in the context of ground effect bouncing, it has almost nothing to do with what's happening on the upper side of the floor or further up. Everything is happening in the Venturi tunnels and you could have a wheeled brick on top and this bounce would still happen. Depends on ride height and suspension stiffness.

If you are asking in the context of lap times and Russell's comment on how good orange and red cars are, don't take anything about that into consideration. The only real advantage of orange and red teams so far is the lap count, and they are not too far from Alpine and Red Bull.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

the EDGE
the EDGE

djos wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 08:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 08:04
Hehe, that’s clever! 🤣
Didn’t stop people taking pictures of it though, did it, maybe next time they should consider what side of the pit lane the photographers are on

kalinka
kalinka

f1rules wrote:
Weight distribution is pretty much fixed in the rules IMO.

_cerber1

the EDGE wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:28
Didn’t stop people taking pictures of it though, did it, maybe next time they should consider what side of the pit lane the photographers are on
As far as I know, the teams have a colorless paint that only shows up under the light of a special lamp. If they really wanted to hide something, they would have done it.

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:39
the EDGE wrote:
As far as I know, the teams have a colorless paint that only shows up under the light of a special lamp. If they really wanted to hide something, they would have done it.
Yes that’s true, I wonder why they don’t use it anymore

f1rules
f1rules

yeah i had that idea when i saw the ferrari video :-) but interesting post thanks, i was thinking about, its been mentioned they have positive frontend
Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:18
f1rules wrote:
If you are asking this in the context of ground effect bouncing, it has almost nothing to do with what's happening on the upper side of the floor or further up. Everything is happening in the Venturi tunnels and you could have a wheeled brick on top and this bounce would still happen. Depends on ride height and suspension stiffness.

If you are asking in the context of lap times and Russell's comment on how good orange and red cars are, don't take anything about that into consideration. The only real advantage of orange and red teams so far is the lap count, and they are not too far from Alpine and Red Bull.

f1rules
f1rules

i know, question is how much is pretty much :-) cause looking at the side impact structure mclaren is heavily loaded in front with both radiator and electronics, we wil see, just noticing the differences
kalinka wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:35
f1rules wrote:
Weight distribution is pretty much fixed in the rules IMO.

F1_CoolFan
F1_CoolFan

the EDGE wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:44
_cerber1 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:39
the EDGE wrote:
Yes that’s true, I wonder why they don’t use it anymore
Usually it's a UV based paint/dye, to see it properly with a UV lamp you want to put it in a dark room which is sub-optimal when you have a bunch of engineers and technicians running about and a big open door! ;)