Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Red Bull RB18

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 25 Feb 2022, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Henk_v
Henk_v

AeroDynamic wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 10:13
FW17 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 10:04
Wouter wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:43
Someone from AMuS photographed the Redbull shock absorber with which you can adjust the distance
between the floor and the asphalt.
Increments and decreases with millimeter tolerance.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMYWs2HXIAc ... name=small
Is that Red Bull or Haas?
It's Haas, already posted in the Haas thread.

Looks like the same floor as run previous days so far. Interesting shot of the side pod without the cover.
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg

flowViz on the intricate part of the floor
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ng-r-1.jpg
That shot of the naked sidepod more or less debunks anything fishy going on behind the undercut panel.

Also it looks like there is room to have less width in the sidepod, hence the sidepod width seems to be an aerodynamical choice, with options for sleeker variations.

AeroDynamic

@NicolasF1i
Rear pushrod suspension and central cooler on the Red Bull RB18.

Albert Fabrega
Detail of the rear Push-rod suspension rocker of the Red Bull.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 25 Feb 2022, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

Looks like the same floor as run previous days so far. Interesting shot of the side pod without the cover.
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg

flowViz on the intricate part of the floor
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ng-r-1.jpg
[/quote]

Looks like they have a ridiculous amount of space still available in the undercut region if they want to modify the sidepod shapes further.

organic

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 12:47
amazing video as always from this channel. Interesting ideas about the sidepod inlet & beam wing designs

I like the idea of the modularity of the sidepod inlet design. Similar in principle to the supposed idea that RB/Ferrari took with the modular nose

Is the RB double notch floor something that's relatively easy to copy and hence will likely be seen up and down the grid? It seems it would be to me

SiLo

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 13:23
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 12:47
amazing video as always from this channel. Interesting ideas about the sidepod inlet & beam wing designs

I like the idea of the modularity of the sidepod inlet design. Similar in principle to the supposed idea that RB/Ferrari took with the modular nose

Is the RB double notch floor something that's relatively easy to copy and hence will likely be seen up and down the grid? It seems it would be to me
The beam wing is most interesting to me, really the lower element is just there to support the diffuser, and then the top element is protecting the rear wing from the lower element frontal flow.
Felipe Baby!

AeroDynamic

Mattchu

That`s one thing I`m really going to miss! Seeing the brake discs glow super bright orange and knowing it was pure heat and energy really was a site to behold. Now we`ve got these awful looking wheels/covers that just look daft...

Is that orange stuff to help transfer heat from the disc to the rim or stop it? Looks more of an insulator to me.

Zynerji

Mattchu wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 16:30
That`s one thing I`m really going to miss! Seeing the brake discs glow super bright orange and knowing it was pure heat and energy really was a site to behold. Now we`ve got these awful looking wheels/covers that just look daft...

Is that orange stuff to help transfer heat from the disc to the rim or stop it? Looks more of an insulator to me.
Looking at it, it almost looks like an evaporative cooling setup might be in that upper plenum as well... When zoomed, it looks like a scotch-brite pad insulating or heat sinking the disc...

This may be a super interesting item for a Scarbs video! Explaining the changes that the wheel philosophy has had on the internals of the wheel tin.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The more I look at this car and the more angles I see, I can't help thinking that the team used the Valkyrie project to good advantage. I just keep seeing vague similarities to elements of that car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Might it be brake dust management? With no airflow through the rim this might become an issue. A clear duct can be seen from the calipers running to the cooling duct, maybe to extract the dus, while the spungelike material retains residual dust ?

AeroDynamic

rileykirn
rileykirn

I think the containment & extra insulation around the brakes this year have to do with the fact that the hot air can only exit the back inisde off the wheel, the same side it enters on. How air is blown into the center of the hub, is forced out through the vent holes & channels in the brake rotor & then is captured & exits out the back inside rear of the hub.