2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Smooth sailing thus far today. Car seems to be the quickest in S3 thus far…

wowgr8
wowgr8

Sainz interview from Motorsport Italy. Well spoken as ever
73 laps on Tuesday, 71 today, third absolute time yesterday, behind Lando Norris and Charles Leclerc , and fifth today. This is the balance of the first two days of testing on the Barcelona track for Carlos Sainz jr.

The Spaniard from Ferrari , engaged this morning at the wheel of the F1-75, continued to get acquainted with the new ground-effect single-seater built in Maranello and was busy for most of the day collecting useful data for the technicians to carry out all the checks. of the case.

What has struck the new Ferrari, at least up to now, has been the great reliability shown in these two days. The F1-75 did not suffer from any technical problems and allowed both drivers of the Scuderia to grind kilometers.

“We will have to see how we go when the season starts,” said Sainz when asked for an initial opinion on the new car. “For sure I had a day and a half without any technical problems with the car. We managed to stick to the schedule and it's a good starting point. I am really happy with all the laps that I managed to complete ”.

Carlos then wanted to dedicate a thought to the fans of the Red, eager to understand if the new born can finally allow the team to return to fight for important goals.

“I can tell the fans that they must be happy because the team has created a reliable car. Now they have to be patient and give us time to go looking for performances. Unfortunately for the insiders this session is not very exciting because we are not pushing the cars to the limit, but we are only thinking about accumulating kilometers ”.

The son of art then wanted to underline how with ground-effect single-seaters it really seems easier to follow another car in the wake without suffering an excessive loss of load.

“Yesterday I followed some cars on purpose and I can say that you can already feel the differences. I was positively impressed and I think we are going in the right direction ”.

Sainz then did not hide when he expressed his enthusiasm to be able to direct the work of the engineers on a car made from a white sheet with his inputs.

“This is one of my favorite seasons in Formula 1 both for the new challenge imposed by the technical regulations and for the influence that a driver can give to lead the team in the development of the car. I arrived at Ferrari with a car practically on the verge of development, while this year we start from scratch and I feel I have a good chance to help the team with my feedback ”.

One of the greatest curiosities is to understand how much is the difference that the drivers at the wheel feel compared to the cars driven until last year. Sainz said he appreciated the great speed he manages to bring into the corners.

“Until we push the single-seaters to the limit, we won't know exactly how much the difference is compared to the cars of the previous generation. At the moment, however, I can say that I am beginning to feel the first differences ”.

“Obviously you feel the different downforce and it's really cool because you are attached to the ground and you feel the car is producing downforce. It's a nice feeling behind the wheel and I feel more consistency even in the corners ”.

The word of the day in Barcelona was "Porpoising". The images shared by F1 on its social profiles showed Leclerc's Ferrari which on the main straight suffered from a rebound due to the configuration of its ground-effect single-seaters, and for better or worse all the teams had to deal with this unexpected event.

Sainz explained how the team will have to study this phenomenon because it could be one of the pivotal topics of this season.

“It depends on the set-up you have, whether or not you use the DRS. It's a whole new world and we need to fully understand it because it could be a highlight of this season ”.

JPower
JPower

Good on Binotto. No 2019-type hype needed this season. lol

JPower
JPower

Well I guess that's it. 438 laps down without a hitch. Most in test.

Have to be pleased if you're Binotto.

Now begins the 2 week development race.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

JPower wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:32
Well I guess that's it. 438 laps down without a hitch. Most in test.

Have to be pleased if you're Binotto.

Now begins the 2 week development race.
Yup excellent work from ferrari team, hope they are atleast in flight for poles and wins come bahrain

Jambier

Extremely happy for them!

I am convinced they will win many races this year.

I hope they will be able to fight for the title

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Jambier wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 21:13
Extremely happy for them!

I am convinced they will win many races this year.

I hope they will be able to fight for the title
I am convinced they are going to fight for the title this year... they dont need to do fancy laps to prove that.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

JPower wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 18:41

Good on Binotto. No 2019-type hype needed this season. lol
I really loved this, made me chuckle. Loving everything Binotto has done, particularly recently. If this car is a winner, I’ll be so happy for him disproving the haters, and of course for the team.

I am not ‘convinced’ as some others are that it will win or fight for the title. I’ve been there too many times before. But what’s encouraging is a) reliability, b) news of good driveability, and c) confirmation that they have been testing and not pushing for times despite always looking competitive. We live in hope, but at least for me, I don’t have high expectations or feelings of entitlement. Only time will tell.

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPBD1990 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 05:54
I really loved this, made me chuckle. Loving everything Binotto has done, particularly recently. If this car is a winner, I’ll be so happy for him disproving the haters, and of course for the team.

I am not ‘convinced’ as some others are that it will win or fight for the title. I’ve been there too many times before. But what’s encouraging is a) reliability, b) news of good driveability, and c) confirmation that they have been testing and not pushing for times despite always looking competitive. We live in hope, but at least for me, I don’t have high expectations or feelings of entitlement. Only time will tell.
Sainz agrees with you and so do I. Reading into the interviews from Charles (he never usually gives anything away), Sainz & Binotto it seems to me they don't think the car is a world beater but they also don't say where they think they are, so the pecking order and gap to the top are intriguing and still unknown

There's also that news that Mercedes and Red Bull (and McLaren) will bring big upgrades to Bahrain while Ferrari won't, I'm thinking/hoping it's because they're just studying the competition's solutions as of now and will bring their own updates in a few months

We've heard that the learning curve will be very steep with these cars so assuming the top 3/4 are really close right now, those update packages the other teams bring might give them a really sizeable advantage at the start of the year

dialtone
dialtone

Binotto didn't just say that they won't bring updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRnsWFddIQg

"It will not be much different compared to what we've got. I think the first step for us will be to optimize what we have, as Carlos said, we're still far from the best performance, not only because we're running high fuel or not the best engine mode, but simply because I think there's a lot to exploit more from the car itself and today we're more focused on that one, not just in terms of setup or engineering but in terms of driving style and the drivers themselves so let's wait and see what the others will bring. Certainly as Ferrari we're always concerned on upgrades of our competitors and I'm pretty sure they will be very very strong by then."

This is the full quote and I think it's a lot more reasonable than "we're not bringing updates".

wowgr8
wowgr8

"It will not be much different compared to what we've got" and "significantly upgraded car" is still a big contrast

dialtone
dialtone

The point is that the car has a lot more performance in it to exploit and bringing updates won't necessarily help them get ready for the first race because drivers need to get used to the behavior of the car, and so do engineers and mechanics. Cutting off the part where Binotto is saying that car is going well and they don't expect correlation issues and so on, to focus on them not bringing new parts, when they already have the most radical package of the field, imho is misleading, it makes it seem like he instead said: "we've run out of ideas with what to do with the car, hopefully it goes well for us".

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

I agree that it’s silly to say not bringing updates = bad, bringing updated = good. The question is why are they bringing updates? Is it because they’re not satisfied with something? Will the upgrades assist with driveability, etc?

Regardless, I’m confident Ferrari will bring updates. They may not mark significant changes to the car, and it may well be that significant changes are simply not necessary.

I appreciate Ferrari’s approach. This week was about learning the car and correlating data, which Binotto said they will now do in Maranello. This will also feed their simulator with more accurate, real world data on which they can base future updates. He also said that the next test will be about extracting performance, which allows them to further learn the car and build from that.

In the F1 YouTube testing summary, they said they don’t necessary believe Ferrari won’t bring upgrades, and I agree. Again, Binotto said it won’t be significantly different, it doesn’t mean it won’t be different. For example, we haven’t seen the floor wing permitted in the regulations. Really, we’ve only seen Alfa’s and McLarens, so much more to come from everyone.

When I said my comment above, I don’t mean I’m concerned - I’m just not saying ‘Ferrari are going to win lots of races and fight for the championship’. Nobody knows that.

(Ps. In the F1 day 3 of testing summary vid, apparently Ross brawn said he was very impressed with what Ferrari had done.)

wowgr8
wowgr8

dialtone wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 10:23
The point is that the car has a lot more performance in it to exploit and bringing updates won't necessarily help them get ready for the first race because drivers need to get used to the behavior of the car, and so do engineers and mechanics. Cutting off the part where Binotto is saying that car is going well and they don't expect correlation issues and so on, to focus on them not bringing new parts, when they already have the most radical package of the field, imho is misleading, it makes it seem like he instead said: "we've run out of ideas with what to do with the car, hopefully it goes well for us".
I see what you're saying, but what Binotto said applies to everyone, it's not like Mercedes, Red Bull and McLaren were running on fumes and full power either, and they also are still learning their cars. Either way I'm not too bothered about the lack of big updates, I just hope they come later in the season and not never

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPBD1990 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 11:35
When I said my comment above, I don’t mean I’m concerned - I’m just not saying ‘Ferrari are going to win lots of races and fight for the championship’. Nobody knows that.
I'm not concerned either, I'm also on the side of tempering expectations. All I know performance wise so far is Sainz saying Ferrari's data doesn't show them to be the fastest car here like the media and Mercedes claim, but he doesn't say who is