2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Both drivers seem very happy and optimistic after the first test.

https://apple.news/A7-_-AWH-SdWJw1d1ia5GyQ
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

djos wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 03:39
I’m in the cautiously optimistic camp, I think battling for 3rd place is realistic but will be super excited if we can fight for podiums every week.
This is probably the teams internal expectations
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

I can see there is a lot of optimism within us fans at the moment there is nothing wrong with.
Personally I’m just concerned that yes Mclaren may have a good car now in testing and with their good porpoising solution to the side of the floor aiding this- other teams have quickly picked up on the solution and will soon copy said solution.

(Thank you to @SmallSoldier for originally sharing in the MCL36 thread).

I’m fearful that once the other teams have their own solution, a potentially better solution by taking inspiration from Mclarens, Mclaren will fall back in the pecking order... a bit like 2012 with the coanda exhaust, Mclaren inspired it, never fully understood it, rivals developed better solutions which left Mclaren bouncing around the top 3 (I’m not suggesting they are top 3 material this season)

_cerber1

CjC wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 10:55
I can see there is a lot of optimism within us fans at the moment there is nothing wrong with.
Personally I’m just concerned that yes Mclaren may have a good car now in testing and with their good porpoising solution to the side of the floor aiding this- other teams have quickly picked up on the solution and will soon copy said solution.

I’m fearful that once the other teams have their own solution, a potentially better solution by taking inspiration from Mclarens, Mclaren will fall back in the pecking order... a bit like 2012 with the coanda exhaust, Mclaren inspired it, never fully understood it, rivals developed better solutions which left Mclaren bouncing around the top 3 (I’m not suggesting they are top 3 material this season)
Remember what James Key said when he talked about the tests, that it is now important for them to get a good base for development, and the update package during the year is expected to be large. Now, they can concentrate their forces on him, and not solve the problems that other teams have on the straights. And I don't think that just copying is easy, competitors will have to analyze their aerodynamics in this area, and this can cause problems.

genarro
genarro

CjC wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 10:55

What is wrong with you mate. Have a little faith in out technical team. While others will try to copy our solutions we will outdevelop them. Remember that merc and rb don't have the financial capacity to simply pour 4273636 mil pound to R&D to outdevelop everything. I am optimistic that we have one of the best technical team and once the windtunnel/simator will be operating we will be a force to be reckon with. Besides in red bull Adrian neweys era is coming slowly to an end (pushing 70) and they let James Key to us so...

Darth-Piekus

I would say its different this time.The team under Zak Brown in my opinion is much better than the team of Ron Dennis. The big 3 also don't have the advantage of spending more money than Mclaren.

McL-H
McL-H

Marko says he is not worried about McLaren and that they are doing low fuel runs just to attract sponsors.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-hel ... 22-testing

CjC
CjC

genarro wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 11:58
[quote=CjC post_id=<a href="tel:1037990">1037990</a> time=<a href="tel:1645865747">1645865747</a> user_id=15069]

What is wrong with you mate. Have a little faith in out technical team. While others will try to copy our solutions we will outdevelop them. Remember that merc and rb don't have the financial capacity to simply pour 4273636 mil pound to R&D to outdevelop everything. I am optimistic that we have one of the best technical team and once the windtunnel/simator will be operating we will be a force to be reckon with. Besides in red bull Adrian neweys era is coming slowly to an end (pushing 70) and they let James Key to us so...
[/quote]

I’m just flagging a concern.
I’m not saying that Mclarens engineering team is inadequate just you have to respect the opposition. Mercedes and Red Bull (pains me to say) are phenomenal engineering outfits. The past decade is the proof.

You make a valid point that the budget cap may rein in said engineering outfits but there hasn’t been any proof of that yet. So we still need to bare it in mind.

Remember Brawn, super quick at the start of the season but got out developed by at least Red Bull and Mclaren.

Another valid point you make is the simulator and windows tunnel too Mclarens isn’t online yet- even Seidl said yesterday that until those facilities are online Mclaren will be behind from an engineering point of view.
You can argue that even he and therefore the team are expecting to be out matched by Mercedes and Red Bull.

So there’s isn’t anything wrong we me really I’m just not letting any high expectations get the better of me.
Last edited by CjC on 26 Feb 2022, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

McL-H wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 12:21
Marko says he is not worried about McLaren and that they are doing low fuel runs just to attract sponsors.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-hel ... 22-testing
CjC wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 18:28
Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 16:29
Apparently Helmut Marko said "McLaren is after sponsors" when asked about Ferrari and McLaren looking good. It would seem that with the data RedBull has, McLaren is running lighter on fuel.
I like it when he says things like this.
Bigger the ego- the bigger the fall.
There is nothing wrong to have a little competitive arrogance, but because Red Bull have been at the the sharp end for so long and coming off the back of Verstappens ‘title’ the arrogance has grown too much. It’s akin to dare I say Ron Dennis. There was for him and will be for Red Bull a failure to comprehend that they will suffer a fall from their mantle even though there is a history full of examples- Williams, Ferrari, Mclaren, Ferrari again..... Red bulls name is on the list but it just hasn’t happened yet
Expanding on my point from yesterday and just now.
Once you stop respecting the opposition is the moment you start to underestimate them

Darth-Piekus

Jokes on them Mclaren is full of sponsors and jokes on them no matter how many championships Red Bull has, they don't have the same meaning as a championship from Mclaren. To the world Red Bull will be just an Energy Drink team while Mclaren is the most popular at this point team in F1. That is also one of the positives of the new leadership. No leadership before managed to get Mclaren in front of Ferrari in terms of popularity.

Helmut Marko and the Red Bull are a bunch of arrogant fools and they will soon be on a rude awakening.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Yes other teams will have to waste valuable time and budget cap resources to copy something that McLaren has already done. Plus no guarantees that it works with their aero philosophy. Ultimately, solving the porpoising problem is very easy - solving it in a way that doesn't ruin the ground effects down force is very tricky. No guarantee that teams find the right compromise. Ultimately, McLaren can focus on their Bahrain car when others are solving a fundamental problem.

Balalu
Balalu

I’m just flagging a concern.
I’m not saying that Mclarens engineering team is inadequate just you have to respect the opposition. Mercedes and Red Bull (pains me to say) are phenomenal engineering outfits. The past decade is the proof.

You make a valid point that the budget cap may rein in said engineering outfits but there hasn’t been any proof of that yet. So we still need to bare it in mind.

Remember Brawn, super quick at the start of the season but got out developed by at least Red Bull and Mclaren.
I appreciate you keeping your feet on the ground, but just to point out a couple of facts:

1) RedBull and Mercedes being engineering marvels, agreed, but watch them copy (at lest the idea of) McLaren's floor solutions to eliminate porpoising.

2) Brawn was (massively?) underbudgeted compared to the big teams. Possibly even understaffed?

I believe Ferrari and McLaren are at least a tiny step ahead of the rest as it stands, but things can be in reverse order come Bahrain. Although, it must be said, being a step ahead is handy in the development race.

So much development possible on these new rules/cars, that the order could keep changing untill the end.

Our Achilles heel is that Merc/Ferr/RedB have all infrastructure on site, whilst we have to use part of the budget on travelling, renting etc.

And, I'm sure them having sister/partner teams could be put to use. Nothing stops two engineers from discussing, trailing and disclosing different solutions over coffee, as long as no documents are exchanged.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

chrisgr
chrisgr

With the new wind tunnel and simulator we will be able to compete for championships, especially if we keep the same staff. I am sure of that. But without those two key factors this year, it was the perfect time to take risks. It is so early to make assumptions about where each team stands. Some cars will change drastically after Barcelona. I am very pleased with the way Mclaren approached this year's car.

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 12:30
Jokes on them Mclaren is full of sponsors and jokes on them no matter how many championships Red Bull has, they don't have the same meaning as a championship from Mclaren. To the world Red Bull will be just an Energy Drink team while Mclaren is the most popular at this point team in F1. That is also one of the positives of the new leadership. No leadership before managed to get Mclaren in front of Ferrari in terms of popularity.

Helmut Marko and the Red Bull are a bunch of arrogant fools and they will soon be on a rude awakening.
Amen on above and for god's sake please stop quoting Marko in this Mclaren team thread
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag
Emag

You know what would be the sweetest thing to happen this year? I don't care about winning the championship. But it would feel so --- good if RedBull finishes 4th with McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes ahead (I dont care about the order). It would be some nice juicy karma.

Other than that. I saw that some people are worried teams will copy our floor. And yeah, they will but it was to be expected. They would find the solution at some point anyway. But McLaren found it first. They have a slight edge because instead of spending a week on trying to find the appropriate solution for porpoising they can spend a week to find a way to get more performance out of the car.

It still an advantage, so I wouldn't worry much about it.