Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
e30ernest
e30ernest

Re: Mercedes W13

ringo wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 02:11
Can at heat exchanger be place inside the fuel tank? or in that volume?
So a bit of a dumb question maybe, but would you want to put a heat exchanger in a fuel tank? I reckon you wouldn't want fuel to be hot because it would vaporize?

Chuckjr

I ways thought fuel was critical to engine cooling.
Watching F1 since 1986.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

e30ernest wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 02:26
ringo wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 02:11
Can at heat exchanger be place inside the fuel tank? or in that volume?
So a bit of a dumb question maybe, but would you want to put a heat exchanger in a fuel tank? I reckon you wouldn't want fuel to be hot because it would vaporize?
Nobody has a heat exchanger inside the fuel tank.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Yeah I figured they'd want to keep the fuel as cool as possible.

ojir19

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

ringo

e30ernest wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 03:21
Not they dont need to keep it as cool as possible since it is pre chamber combustion. The cooler the fuel is, the poorer the atomization and the more energy needed for ignition. cool fuel is only because of a air fuel mix being pre ignited by piston compression.

But i think the tank is "T" shaped and the exchangers are in the hollows of the tee. The tee could be upside down.
So yes an exchanger inside the tank could be extreme. it's more likely the tub is tee shaped in the tank area and the exchangers a tucked beside the hollows.

But if one were daring enough, prheating the fuel is not a bad thing. The heat of combustion will be higher. The fuel is not being mixed inside the manifold with the air so preignition is not an issue. The fuel sensors are mass flow sensors so a warmer less dense fuel wouldnt lose out as if it were being measured by volume.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

But while Lewis Hamilton openly confessed that the team had faced some ‘obstacles’ in Barcelona, it has emerged that the team’s performance in the next Bahrain test is set to be lifted by a potentially major upgrade of aerodynamic parts.

There has even been speculation in the Barcelona paddock that it could include a heavily revised sidepod area to help further reduce the car’s drag on the straight and better manage airflow.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... n/8512037/

Unc1eM0nty

zibby43 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 11:17
But while Lewis Hamilton openly confessed that the team had faced some ‘obstacles’ in Barcelona, it has emerged that the team’s performance in the next Bahrain test is set to be lifted by a potentially major upgrade of aerodynamic parts.

There has even been speculation in the Barcelona paddock that it could include a heavily revised sidepod area to help further reduce the car’s drag on the straight and better manage airflow.
This does not make sense, surely the sidepods are already shrunk fit to the internal packaging, I'm sure there is room for improvement with fine tweaks, but "heavily revised" I doubt it.

zibby43
zibby43

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 11:26
zibby43 wrote:

This does not make sense, surely the sidepods are already shrunk fit to the internal packaging, I'm sure there is room for improvement with fine tweaks, but "heavily revised" I doubt it.
We’ve seen them do this before with the side pods during the season. Austria 2018. There is scope for redesign.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 4s0e2.html

SiLo

zibby43 wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
We’ve seen them do this before with the side pods during the season. Austria 2018. There is scope for redesign.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 4s0e2.html
I cannot for the life of me open this link on mobile. Is there a better version? It just gets blocked my content blockers, and then when I turn them off it forces me to a payment page for f1tv!
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Drag isn't just the size of a thing, it's the shape of the thing too. They can change the shape to reduce drag without making it have a smaller volume.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Drag isn't just the size of a thing, it's the shape of the thing too. They can change the shape to reduce drag without making it have a smaller volume.
Wonder if they might copy the Williams idea and have a small outlet on the sidepods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Felipe Baby!

mkay
mkay

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 15:54
It's going to be an easy fix for most teams they're just pushing to see how far they can go without it.
Porpoising is an easy fix. Challenge is in not losing performance in doing so.

Lefty8
Lefty8

e30ernest wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 03:21
there is no way to do that without fitting a heat exchanger to the tank.
Fuel is passed through the fuel injection system and that which is not used is returned to the tank so the fuel will heat up. In a road car the fuel cools along the return line but the bulk tank volume temp is still raised overall. You only want the fuel cool to get as much into the tank as possible when its filled

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zibby43 wrote:

Interesting. One of the conclusions of the Vanj66 guy in his CFD analysis of a hypothetical micro-pod vs tub-pod design was that the micropod has a somewhat "inherent" lack of efficiency compared to the tub pod model. It seemed to be related to the way the sidepod changes the pressure distribution in front of the rear tires.