2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

bauc wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 15:04
Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 12:30
Jokes on them Mclaren is full of sponsors and jokes on them no matter how many championships Red Bull has, they don't have the same meaning as a championship from Mclaren. To the world Red Bull will be just an Energy Drink team while Mclaren is the most popular at this point team in F1. That is also one of the positives of the new leadership. No leadership before managed to get Mclaren in front of Ferrari in terms of popularity.

Helmut Marko and the Red Bull are a bunch of arrogant fools and they will soon be on a rude awakening.
Amen on above and for god's sake please stop quoting Marko in this Mclaren team thread
Literally everyone here commented about Helmut Marko and others before me. It is an arrogant comment which deserved a reply.

On topic I don't think it's easy to copy an innovation. You will have to make it work with your aero but it's one thing to make it work with the aero and another thing is for the innovation to be part of the aero.

proteus

CjC wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 10:55
I can see there is a lot of optimism within us fans at the moment there is nothing wrong with.
Personally I’m just concerned that yes Mclaren may have a good car now in testing and with their good porpoising solution to the side of the floor aiding this- other teams have quickly picked up on the solution and will soon copy said solution.

(Thank you to @SmallSoldier for originally sharing in the MCL36 thread).

I’m fearful that once the other teams have their own solution, a potentially better solution by taking inspiration from Mclarens, Mclaren will fall back in the pecking order... a bit like 2012 with the coanda exhaust, Mclaren inspired it, never fully understood it, rivals developed better solutions which left Mclaren bouncing around the top 3 (I’m not suggesting they are top 3 material this season)
It would be much better for the sport if testing locations would be allowed to be chosen by teams. Location and time. Give every team alocated number of days and let them choose where and when they want to spend them. It would be better, since teams would not be seeing each other cars properly and knowing the obvious design principles. It would be better for the fans as well, because noone would know how fast or reliable the cars were.

If Mclaren really figured out their floor in the way others didnt, it is a real bummer that their little secret allready came out, with media people exposing it even further...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Marc.W

proteus wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 15:46
CjC wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 10:55
I can see there is a lot of optimism within us fans at the moment there is nothing wrong with.
Personally I’m just concerned that yes Mclaren may have a good car now in testing and with their good porpoising solution to the side of the floor aiding this- other teams have quickly picked up on the solution and will soon copy said solution.

(Thank you to @SmallSoldier for originally sharing in the MCL36 thread).

I’m fearful that once the other teams have their own solution, a potentially better solution by taking inspiration from Mclarens, Mclaren will fall back in the pecking order... a bit like 2012 with the coanda exhaust, Mclaren inspired it, never fully understood it, rivals developed better solutions which left Mclaren bouncing around the top 3 (I’m not suggesting they are top 3 material this season)
It would be much better for the sport if testing locations would be allowed to be chosen by teams. Location and time. Give every team alocated number of days and let them choose where and when they want to spend them. It would be better, since teams would not be seeing each other cars properly and knowing the obvious design principles. It would be better for the fans as well, because noone would know how fast or reliable the cars were.

If Mclaren really figured out their floor in the way others didnt, it is a real bummer that their little secret allready came out, with media people exposing it even further...
Six of one half of the other though, while they've seen the solution, getting it to work as intended uses time, resources and money, meanhile McLaren can go full steam ahead with the upgrade package

chrisc90

If they thought it would be truely beneficial and 'secretive' then surely they would bring a tamed down version of it to Barcelona.
Surely you cant believe for 1 second this is the final aero package on any car on the grid.

Darth-Piekus

Out of curiosity. Since Mclaren is the only car not porpoising what disadvantage porpoising costs to the other teams in terms of time?

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 16:47
Out of curiosity. Since Mclaren is the only car not porpoising what disadvantage porpoising costs to the other teams in terms of time?
Not much I would say, because they were bound to find the solution sooner or later. It just gives McLaren a slight advantage since they don't have to spend time working on it.

But hey, any advantage is welcome in F1.

Darth-Piekus

Doesn't it take three weeks to a month in order to find a solution to a problem that now appeared not to mention spending their current budget on something that McLaren never had from the start?

How much lap time would that bumping effect cost.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

It’s a very good sign that McLaren didn’t show the amount of porpoising other teams did, it is an small advantage not having to focus resources to solving the issue (even if the issue is something that you can copy from another competitor)… According to what I’ve read so far, dealing with it isn’t that simple as a couple of cuts in the floor or just raising the ride height (which ultimately have a negative effect in performance), it is related to the shape of the Tunnels themselves and the ratios between the inlet and smallest section.

The rest of the teams will find a solution (I just hope that they don’t lobby the FIA to change the rules and introduce simpler solutions, like the introduction of suspension components currently banned to help them solve the issue).

There is no pecking order yet, McLaren’s lap times could have well been done with low fuel (although, the speed traps seem to indicate that they weren’t glory runs, so I doubt it)… The only takeaways from testing should be that the car is:

A) Reliable
B) Composed (no reports of it been twitchy)
C) Balanced (not over or under steery)
D) Not suffering as much as others from Porpoising

If we consider that the car Mclaren presented in testing looked “simple” (with parts in early stage of development), then it is a great sign

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Speed traps during testing:

Both Lando and Daniel in the bottom half considering the 3 days of testing

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 17:52
It’s a very good sign that McLaren didn’t show the amount of porpoising other teams did, it is an small advantage not having to focus resources to solving the issue (even if the issue is something that you can copy from another competitor)… According to what I’ve read so far, dealing with it isn’t that simple as a couple of cuts in the floor or just raising the ride height (which ultimately have a negative effect in performance), it is related to the shape of the Tunnels themselves and the ratios between the inlet and smallest section.

The rest of the teams will find a solution (I just hope that they don’t lobby the FIA to change the rules and introduce simpler solutions, like the introduction of suspension components currently banned to help them solve the issue).

There is no pecking order yet, McLaren’s lap times could have well been done with low fuel (although, the speed traps seem to indicate that they weren’t glory runs, so I doubt it)… The only takeaways from testing should be that the car is:

A) Reliable

If we consider that the car Mclaren presented in testing looked “simple” (with parts in early stage of development), then it is a great sign
Hopefully the fact that it looks like a solution can be found by one/ some teams then the FIA shouldnt need to get involved
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 18:05
SmallSoldier wrote:

A) Reliable

Hopefully the fact that it looks like a solution can be found by one/ some teams then the FIA shouldnt need to get involved
I’m sure McLaren will fight it… But you never know with FIA

The fact that Brawn hasn’t made a comment regarding it is intriguing

Balalu
Balalu

Posted on the car thread: "According to Frederic Ferret, our floor might not be legal. Some teams have complained apparently. Suggesting that the floor was deforming at high speed".

I guess it's a good thing when rivals complain...
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

CjC
CjC

Balalu wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 23:21
Posted on the car thread: "According to Frederic Ferret, our floor might not be legal. Some teams have complained apparently. Suggesting that the floor was deforming at high speed".

I guess it's a good thing when rivals complain...
That’s their first port of call to peg an advantage back.....
Just a fan's point of view

adrianjordan

CjC wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 18:05
SmallSoldier wrote:

A) Reliable

Didn't the FIA say they wouldn't be introducing any rule tweeks mid season anyway?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Balalu
Balalu

On a similar subject, RedBull are asking for the minimum weight to be increased. Don't know if there are other teams involved.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen